Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help with your equipment?
inajamb's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 3rd, 2016 1:54 AM

emails going to trash bin instead of inbox

This started a couple of days ago.  We have always had our email set to keep the messages on the server for 21 days before deleting.  When we checked the account online the other day there were no emails in the inbox.  I now have just a couple in the inbox and see that all the others have been moved to the trash folder.  We have not changed any settings.  Is the system having issues or is it something on our end?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I had the same problem and after 2 online chats and 3 phone chats, finally got the suggestion that my Outlook might need the latest update from Microsoft. After doing that, all seems to be well.

I was also getting multiple duplicate emails of most messages and all of my 100 days of historic emails were gone.

AT&T contended they had not heard of that issue before my calls, but that was clearly not the case.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

JefferMC's post seems to work for me, with one minor exception. The directions at the Josh.com website were not quite right. The code to type at the command prompt should be:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068. (This replaces the " with ". Once I did this, the code worked fine.  

Hopefully Microsoft Office 2016 will fix this in their future releases. On that note, you might want to go back in Microsoft 2016 and turn automatic updates back on after waiting a few weeks. Thanks to all who helped on this!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Apparently Microsoft has fixed this issue. I manually updated to the most recent Microsoft 2016 update, and I no longer have the problem. I did this on my wife's laptop, as she was having this problem too, and both our systems are running fine now.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

After reading the articles linked to jeffermc's post and experiencing the multiple copies of emails phenomenon (in spades -- there were 5 or more of some), I Deleted the pop3 account I had added on my Nexus 6 and added back an Imap account for my home (swbell.net) email and then updated Outlook 2016 (it updated to to 16.0.6258.1017), and those two steps solved all of the problems except that the emails on my Nexus 6 Imap email account still get Marked as Read unbidden.  I can live with that, though, so long as (i) they are there, (ii) they are not automatically moved to the Trash folder and (iii) there are not multiple copies of them on any of my machines.

So, many thanks to jeffermc. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Look in Settings->Filters and Settings->Forwarding.  Is there anything defined?

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I had the same problem.  The mail on my iPhone for my sbcglobal.net account was being transferred directly to trash.  Windows Live Mail 2012 the mail was in the in box.  The yahoo login for sbcglobal.net the mail was in trash.

In the yahoo mail account setting viewing email showed "Mark as read Immediately."  I changed the setting to "Mark as Read Never."  The mail was restorted to my iPhone account.  I also checked leave a copy of the mail on the server in Windows Live Mail 2012. 

The changes in the mail only involved one sbcglobal account the other accounts worked okay.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me, but I figure it is worth a try. I'm not extremely computer saavy, so I don't understand ALL the info being shared when it comes to different types of email accounts and some of the tech talk!

This is what happened to me. I noticed one day that all of the emails in my inbox had been moved to my deleted email folder. Then, a few days later the deleted email box had been emptied. So I think I have lost all of my emails in my ATT email account?

In regards to Outlook, I have not downloaded it on my PC but I did download MS Outlook on my iPhone after purchasing MS Office 2016 online, with the ability to download all the programs on my iPhone. I always liked Outlook when I used to use it while employed, and wanted to check it out. This was quite awhile ago when I downloaded the program on my iPhone though. I mean it's been over a month. So if having Outlook on my iPhone some how caused this problem with my ATT email, why now? If I delete Outlook from my iPhone, will my emails come back to my ATT account? And if I do nothing, will my emails continue to disappear from my ATT inbox on my PC? I"m so confused! Why would this even happen, without first letting us know that it would, or asking us if we want it to? Are all the emails that I "lost" in ATT, in Outlook? I don't even know how to look. Since I haven't used the app, I'm not at all familiar with it. I opened it, but am so confused! I don't know where to look to see if my ATT emails are there somewhere. I had a HUGE number of emails in ATT!

Anyway, if anyone can help I would sure appreciate it! I realize this is probably too big an issue to really address in this manner but thought I would try as I don't have anyone knowledgable to ask. I'm mostly curious, I guess, if this is going to continue happening. Are my ATT emails going to continue transferring to my deleted email box and them being deleted from there? I'm also curious as to why when you want to use Outlook on your PC you have to go through a process of setting it up and such -- yet to use it on the iPhone it seems that you simply download the app and use it? So frustrated...Thank you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Sounds like ATT clearly has an email server problem.  Same thing happened to me.  One day all my inbox emails were gone, excluding the ones from 6 days ago.  I even looked in the trash and the oldest email was from 10 days ago.  I notice the inbox automatically deletes my mail if it is older than 6 days.  This is a very disappointing considering my husband and I have had this email service for the last 10 years.  Please restore my email.  

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

It's not ATT, it's Yahoo that handles the email, contact Yahoo about how the email is working. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you, Chris, for clearing up the confusion.  I was directed to ATT through the email support link. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.