For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
robgendreau's profile

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

Monday, March 16th, 2015 5:08 PM

Upgrading to Power tier?

How complex is the upgrade to the 45mbps Power tier?

I understand I'd get a new RG. I use a 2Wire 3801, configured to DMZ+ so it passes everything to my main router. Its wifi is off; I seem to recall that using it for wifi and/or ethernet while in that mode was a no-go, but I can't remember.

I also have static IP addresses.

I'm especially interested in the faster upload speeds.

Also, I'm not sure about my existing cabling to the RG. Does that have to change and does ATT do that?

Thanks,

Rob

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@robgendreau wrote:

How complex is the upgrade to the 45mbps Power tier?

I understand I'd get a new RG. I use a 2Wire 3801, configured to DMZ+ so it passes everything to my main router. Its wifi is off; I seem to recall that using it for wifi and/or ethernet while in that mode was a no-go, but I can't remember.

I also have static IP addresses.

I'm especially interested in the faster upload speeds.

Also, I'm not sure about my existing cabling to the RG. Does that have to change and does ATT do that?

Thanks,

Rob

First of all, does the ATT account offer you 45M if you choose 'change my plan' for Internet?  You have to be pretty close to the VRAD to get it.

Everything on your side stays the same, everything from the RG to the Nid changes.  New brand of RG that will be pair bonded to provide 45M Internet. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

9 years ago

Yes; it's offering me that (although I'm not sure I wanna pay the "fee" of like $100...).

So I guess they need to come and run wire?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

9 years ago

An installer is required to visit to upgrade to any HSI speed over 18 Mbps so that the installer can make sure the line can properly carry the service, or condition it until it can.

In addition to that blanket policy:

• New dedicated run from NID to RG.  In the past, coax or a pair from your old quad wiring could be used in a pinch, if you had Cat3 wire snaking through all your phone outlets, that could be used.  For 45 Mbps, you will have to have a dedicated Cat 5e cable, of which two pair will be used.
  • A good second pair in your drop from your pedestal/pole to your home.  If there isn't another good pair, the drop will have to be replaced.
  • A new pair in your bundle from the crossbox near the VRAD to your pedestal.  If there isn't another free pair in good condition, you will not be able to get 45 Mbps HSI.
  • Another free port on a service card in the VRAD.

It's not a simple upgrade.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

9 years ago

Yikes no. Thanks for the info.

I'll check into further; some folks seem to have received a special offer to upgrade; I haven't found anything yet. I'm only internet, no TV. Looks like I'd have to budget some time as well.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, those are definitely the type of issues I am considering.

Having gone through this so many times (my DSL service stretches back to when they gave EVERYONE static IPs by default) the "ain't broke/don't fix" mantra keeps ringing in my head.

Thank you all for the info and the help in decisionmaking.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am an AT&T customer precisely because they were more reliable for me than Comcast.

I read all the reviews about not getting advertised speeds on Power, and decided to put it off for a year or so, but then, well I went an ordered it, the installer came by today.

Fail.

I don't get half the advertised speed.  My 18Mb service is ~20Mb now.

I told the installer about the problem and he left anyway, so I find it humorous the idea the installers come out to condition the lines and make sure you get good service - not really.

He did call second level support and a guy was trying to track down issues - but the point is they were satisfied with giving me half the advertised speed and left.

I am going to now keep on it, calling in service calls and either getting the speed or cancelling - but you know....I was a happy camper having reliable service...now what have I done, lol...

Btw, my observation over half a day of using th new service, is the speed is wildly inconsistent now too...used to be rock solid.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I'm happy to report, it's less than 24 hours post install and I just pulled a speedtest of 45Mb/s download.

First, I have to say that it's still less than 24 hours post install, so time will tell how it works in the long run, but fair is fair - I posted right after the install, a little disappointed that at the time I was doing only ~20Mb/s down.... 

But clearly if it can do 45MB/s down - that at least proves the viability of "VDSL2 Pair Bonding" at my location.

Now whether AT&T as an ISP gets hosed in other ways at peak usage - I don't know yet.

It also proves the Moto router that AT&T provided can chuck it out at 45Mb/s too....so....I cancelled having a tech out again - and this is my new service - now to experience the service over the long term 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.