For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
jagdpanther's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, February 12th, 2011 7:50 PM

RG Port Forwarding, Port Translation and DHCP

I signed up for u-verse and it should be installed in a week.  I am trying to decide if I can use the 2Wire 3800HGV RG that I expect at&t to install for port forwarding and port translation or if I'll have to turn off as much security as I can on the 3800HGV and buy my own little router. 

Can I choose any TCP or UDP port I want and have it forwarded to a specific system on the LAN?  (Ex:  Have incoming TCP connection request to port 2022 forwarded to a system with IP 192.168.7.6 ?)

Can I have the 3800HGV do port translation?  (Ex:  Have incoming TCP connection request to port 2022 forwarded to port 22 on a local host with IP 192.168.7.6?)

Can I entirely disable the 3800HGV DHCP server for any systems plugged into the four Ethernet ports?  (I want to use a DHCP server on one of my computers.)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you can do port forwarding.

Yes, you can do port translation.

No, you cannot disable the DHCP server.  The DHCP server is required for the IPTV set-top-boxes to get IP addressing information.

If you want to run your own DHCP server, you will have to install your own router behind the 3800HGV-B so that your DHCP server will run on an isolated network.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

One more related question, does the firewall allow access restriction based on the remote system's IP address?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

No, inbound filtering by IP address is not available.

If you need that feature, you'll need to set up your own router.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.