For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Infoquest's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, September 19th, 2014 5:08 PM

High Power 600 mW Wireless-N Range Extender

Hello Everyone,

High Power 600 mW Wireless-N Range Extender...would this work with ATT Uverse Router: Motorola NVG589? I have a "wifi blind spot" in my room.

Thanx for any info about this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Infoquest,

I do not have a personal preference on an access point. There are many out there and a lot of people have their preferences depending on what they need to accomplish. My suggestions would be to make sure you get one that supports 802.11n or if you have the extra cash 802.11ac and if you have a lot of wireless connections in your area, to make sure it is a dual band router that can support 5.4Ghz also. 

There are a few great posts out there that go over setting it up, but usually, they are plug an play. So when you get the equipment, you can just connect it up and you may have to run the install CD that came with it, but it usually works pretty easily.

Here are some posts that go over setting up different access points. Even though it lists a specific piece of equipment, usually the instructions apply to any device.

Configure Netgear N900 as access point for uverse -- help

Adding a second router as wireless access point to extend coverage...

-David T

Accepted Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @Infoquest ,

There should be no issue using a wireless range extender with any router, but I am not a fan. The one thing a wireless range extender does is act as a repeater. At the most optimal levels, a repeater starts off at a 50% throughput loss, so you start off at a slower speed. The best option would be to get an access point or a router that can transmit a further signal. 

Hope this helps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Mr David T

Thank you very much for your very informative answer. I'm kind of new to this kind of solutions, do you happen to know a web site where i can get some simple explanation how to do an access point an how to get connect to it or what kind of router should i get and connect to it? My router is in one corner in the house and the problem point is in the opposite corner of the house.

Sincerely,

Infoquest

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Mr David T,

You are a great helpful man. I'll follow your suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Infoquest

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

A "Range Extender" is a device that listens to a wireless conversation from one wireless transmitter and repeats it on wireless so that stations further away can hear it.

Advantages:

- No wiring back to the original Internet Modem/Gateway

Disadvantages:

- Takes twice as much bandwidth to accomplish the same transfers

An "Access Point" is a device that transfers conversations from an Ethernet port to wireless and from the wireless onto the wired Ethernet

Avantages:

- Uses no additional bandwidth

Disadvantages:

- Needs to be wired back to the original Internet Modem/Gateway

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Mr JefferMC

Thank you very much for the useful information. I'll use the extender, since wiring would be difficult due to the distance.

Sincerely,
Infoquest

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, Jeff!

Does this mean I will be getting halff the speed of my current wirelesss access point if I use an extender such as , for example, this one www.amazon.com/dp/B0087NZ31S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2683F2PRNH40W&coliid=I3EKRRRKEMRO2X ?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.