For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
JDW8914's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 3rd, 2015 7:15 PM

Data Cap for UVERSE Internet?

I heard there is a 250 GB cap for the internet? I currently have Bright House with no cap and am thinking of switching over. Should I be concerned about this?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

9 years ago

They published the 250 GB cap in the terms of service several years ago.  Maybe they hoped no one would notice.  Anyway, shortly thereafter they said, basically, until we give you a meter, we will not enforce the cap.  Today, years later, still no meter, thus no enforcement.

Even if they decided to start enforcing it today, they have to give you a warning in the first billing cycle in which you break through the cap before they can charge you for some subsequent billing cycle.  So, for all intents and purposes there can't ever be a cap until at least next month.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Exactly!! Even though people keep saying that it's not being enforced or if
they decide to enforce it, they have to give at least a months
notice....well i'm just not comfortable switching from my truly unlimited
data plan. ...a plan that doesn't have a "cap plan" written in so they can
change your existing contract at anytime.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

9 years ago

Well, any ISP could decide to put in a cap next month.  Really don't see the difference, but if it makes you feel better, that's your decision.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

VERY similar conversation I just had with a rep. I have the same verbiage on my order form. Mine went like this...

Me: I'm cancelling because of the data cap

Her: I spoke to my supervisor while I had you on this brief hold and he told me that the data cap was something from the beginning of internet service by AT&T and we do not have that anymore.

Me: I'm looking at the fine print on my order form right now. It's clearly stated on the back.

Her: You must have an old form and I apologize for that.

Me: I'm just glad to get a hold of you before my 3 days was up. I tried calling last night since I can cancel up to 3 days after signing the contract until midnight but your customer service was closed. I didn't want to get charged the $180 cancellation fee!

Her: Ma'am you have up to 30 days to cancel.

Me: I'm looking at my contract right now and it clearly states that "You the buyer, may cancel this transaction anytime prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of this transaction. See the attached notice of cancellation provision for an explanation of this right." (which was not attached)

Her: Again, Ma'am I apologize, your rep must be using an old form.

Me: I'm looking at the form and on the bottom right of the form it has a form revision date of 5/1/15!

Her: OHHH... I need to tell my supervisor about that! I can offer you a better price if you stay with AT&T. Immediately cuts my original rate by almost half!

Me: Nope. Cancel immediately. My contract says one thing and you say another. Which do you think will hold water when it's time to start charging me?!

GEESH!!! Get it together AT&T!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I just got another offer from AT&T this week. ...the one for $59 that
includes Uverse and Internet. The fine print clearly states the internet
includes 250 GB of data with a $10 charge per GB after that.

I called....

Me: Last time i was going to place an order y'all told me there is no cap
but it was on the statement form and you said it was an old form.

So why is there a clearly stated data cap on the fine print of the offer
you just mailed me?

I heard silence and then click. ...he hung up on me. ...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Wow, super shady!

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

@TracyWalk wrote:

Wow, super shady!

Read:

@JefferMC wrote:

They published the 250 GB cap in the terms of service several years ago.  Maybe they hoped no one would notice.  Anyway, shortly thereafter they said, basically, until we give you a meter, we will not enforce the cap.  Today, years later, still no meter, thus no enforcement.

Even if they decided to start enforcing it today, they have to give you a warning in the first billing cycle in which you break through the cap before they can charge you for some subsequent billing cycle.  So, for all intents and purposes there can't ever be a cap until at least next month.

So, yeah, as of right now, there is no cap. It was discussed several years ago. I believe a "launch date" was set...but later abandoned. Even then, the first month a customer would go over, that customer gets a warning.

No. There is no cap at this time. Use 100Tb if you need to.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I just ordered the service to be installed tomorrow. The Rep clearly told me that there IS a DATA cap as of this posting. I will see how it goes , and I do use alot of Data . Thing is ...Time Warner just sucks in general...Lesser of two evils. Even if they charge another $10 , with a warning or two, it is still costing me $60 less a month than TWC.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

9 years ago

There is a documented data cap of 250 GB/month in the terms of service.

As I post here at least once a month, the cap is not enforced: No reports of anyone being billed for exceeding this cap have ever surfaced.  One guy posted that he was being throttled because he exceeded his data cap, but I give that isolated report little credence because he produced no useful evidence.

There is no tool you can use to see your usage and AT&T has stated that until they provide that tool, the cap will not be enforced.

The ToS also provide that you must be warned for a billing cycle before you'll be charged, so you have at least one months warning after any cap enforcement is begun.  If it ever begins.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

"U-verse price includes 250 GB of data/mo."

Says it right there online.

I've decided to go with Time Warner instead. I think it's absolutely outrageous to start charging for data instead of using the mothly fee we've always had. Compare this to European countries that have twice the speed at half the cost, and you'll see just how preposterous this really is.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.