For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
labguy's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Saturday, October 24th, 2015 4:18 AM

I want to purchase a modem/router for my uverse

I rent the ATT Arris  NVG589 modem/router and I'd like to purchase my own both because it's cheaper in the long run and ATT has had to replace this modem 3 times in 2 years.  Is there a particular (better) model that I can purchase that will work with my system?  thank you.

Fred

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

@labguy wrote:

I rent the ATT Arris  NVG589 modem/router and I'd like to purchase my own both because it's cheaper in the long run and ATT has had to replace this modem 3 times in 2 years.  Is there a particular (better) model that I can purchase that will work with my system?  thank you.

Fred

Purchasing equipment is not allowed.  All equipment is leased from ATT and as such, incurs a monthly fee.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

As of February of 2015, ATT made the decision that all equipment privided from that point forward, can only be leased, not purchased.

While you can technicallt purchase U-verse compatable devices, unless it came from ATT to you, it will NOT be activated.

That is am absolute NO answer from ATT, and they will not even discuss it with ya. (no point really)

Folks with equipment in service prior to that time, can continue using what they have, as it is granfathered in.  (however, it it ever gets replaced, updated, and sometimes even just serviced, they will also have to start paying the equipment leacing fee.

I have a question, *I* would like answered:  My understanding was, the monthy equipment fee is 7 bucks a month, yet, lately I am starting to see 9 dollars. Is this correct, did ATT already raise the price, or is it still only 7 dollars?

Just to be clear, the above information applies to u-verse sevice equipment.

With dsl, you can still use any compatable device you prefer. (however, if it is an ATT provided dsl modem, gateway, etc, They do charge the equipment leasing fee. The differance is, you can still buy your own,( but not from them), and not have to worry about the fee)

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@labguy  By the way, if you happen to have a 510/589/599 Arris/Moto RG, IPv6 causes disconnects, rebooting and browsing problems.

Disable IPv6 in the RG's Gui. http://192.168.1.254/

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

thank you!  man they sure are hard-nosed, arent' they?   guess they know they can make a lot more money forcing people to rent something they could otherwise buy.  bad customer service decision if you ask me.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

You can buy another router and connect it to the AT&T RG. I am not familiar with doing it though. Try looking here,

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/Setting-up-Your-3rd-Party-Devices/m-p/4120348#M4464

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

thanks!

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

8 years ago

So how about this...  I continue paying the $9 a month, but I buy a superior product to the old, obsolete garbage I have which isn't even bridgable apparently, so I can at least have  wireless ac.  I look at the fee as a wink and a nod to the "lease" for the equipment and have a higher quality home network.  

Can that happen? Is there an older model I can use that IS bridgable?  I really just need the uverse gateway as a gateway and nothing else.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

8 years ago

You cannot replace the RG but you can put another router behind it.  See post 6 in this thread.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.