For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need to update email settings?
StephenB's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 7th, 2018 6:02 PM

Closed

SNET EMAIL SIGN IN

When trying to sign in to my SNET email account i get a wrong password message.  Who supports SNET?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

The snet.net email domain is one of a group of legacy domains that att is supposed to be responsible for (see list here).  Apparently like many of other other legacy domains (sbcglobal.net, bellsouth.net, etc.) those users are getting caught up in the att/yahoo email account unmerging which, based on the many threads in these forums, is IMO a complete mess.

Yahoo Merged E-mail Accounts Getting Unmerged

You might want to try changing your password through here.   If that doesn't work you can PM @ATTU-verseCare or possibly call the Digital Assistance Center (877-267-2988).

Good luck.

(edited)

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

6 years ago

I have an account with a 22 year-old snet.net address that I haven’t been able to access sine 12/9/17. I have made numerous calls to the various AT&T support numbers, including Digital Assistance and ConneTech (AT&T’s paid support service). No one can help me. Though my email address exists, they all tell me my account has been deleted/disabled which is why they can’t help get my access back. No one can tell me how or why it was deleted.

When I login to myAT&T (where I can see my active wireless account), if I go under My Profile I can get to the section for my “linked accounts”. Here I can see my email address/account (and 2 snet.net sub accounts, that I also can’t access).  Next to my main email address there are 2 links: “Check email” and “Delete”, and next to “Account Status” it says “Active”. This page has a message that there is no phone number associated with my email, but when I try to provide that info I can’t because I also need to provide an “alias email”. I have no idea what email address it wants in this field, as nothing I’ve tried is valid.  

When I try to login I get the message that my AT&T/Yahoo Mail account (then it states my snet.net email address) can’t be accessed because my AT&T/Yahoo Mail services have been canceled, but that I can get back into my (snet.net email address written out), I re-establish my AT&T DSL service.

All of us in CT know that we have had no AT&T phone/Internet/TV services for more than 3 years, when we were all switched to Frontier.  Not having the internet service through AT&T wasn’t supposed to affect our email accounts, and mine worked fine until December 9th.

If I try to create a new AT&T account using my “deleted” snet.net address, I can’t because that email address is already in use. If I try to create a new Yahoo email account with the option of using my own email address, and I enter my snet.net address, I can’t use it because Yahoo says it’s already in use. So where the heck are my emails (I know they’re on a server somewhere), and why can’t anyone get me in?  

Yahoo’s online help tools are of no help, and there’s absolutely no way to get in touch with an actual person at a Yahoo. If you peruse both the AT&T and Yahoo community forums it’s unreal how many AT&T/Yahoo customers can’t access their accounts.

I can still see many of the snet.net emails on my iPhone and iPad. So if I can see them, where are they? I’ve been searching for a way to download the important emails that I can still see, but so far have not found a way to do this. The only thing I have found is how to save them as PDFs, which will be very time consuming, but at this point it seems to be the only option.

This is one of the most frustrating and stressful things I have ever been through, as my entire life was connected to that 22 year-old email address and there are some very important emails I need to get and preserve.

Does anyone out there have any solutions or encouraging news to share?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

All the old snet.net and sbcglobal.net email accounts are being passed out and deleted. Sbcglobal went out of business in 1998 and SNET even longer ago. The people you talk to at AT&T don't know about this. You can still see some emails because they got downloaded physically to the phone. If you try opening them though, most will have nothing in them because your phone just has the subject line stored on it and the actual messages were still on the server (to save space on your phone). Your account is gone though and your emails no longer exist. I hate to say it but I don't understand how people think that using an email address from a company that went out of business 20 years ago would still work even this long. They were nice enough to carry people over, even after they left the state, but it does cost them money to pay for servers and keep domain names registered for people who haven't paid for their services in years. 

They started deleting accounts back in November of 2017. Some people's accounts are still working but they will not work forever either. I don't know why they didn't just delete everyone's accounts all at once, but almost on a daily basis I have people call me saying their password doesn't work, etc.,... Exactly the same as you stated. Whoever reads this and lives in CT using an att.net, sbcglobal.net or snet.net email address, need to get a new email address while you can still save your emails and contacts by transferring them to the new email address they create (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etc.).

You actually would have had a problem sooner if anytime in the past 3 years since AT&T left, if you forget your password or tried to change it. You will get taken to the AT&T page you were talking about, and it will say your account is active. It's actually sort of in limbo. The AT&T account does exist but it no longer has an email address associated with it. When you try to make another address using your old address, it will say that the email address is already taken, which it is, but it no longer is able to store emails anywhere or be logged into, so it's as good as not existing. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@KBKomputers said:

All the old snet.net and sbcglobal.net email accounts are being passed out and deleted.

THAT IS FALSE INFORMATION!

All the legacy accounts (@ameritech.net, @bellsouth.net, @flash.net, @nvbell.net, @pacbell.net, prodigy.net, @sbcglobal.net, @snet.net, @swbell.net, and @wans.net) and even att.net accounts that were originally merged with yahoo have been "unmerged".  Just the accounts, the servers are still managed by yahoo.  Just because att and yahoo appeared to have botched (IMO) the unmeging for many of these users doesn't imply the email accounts are being deleted.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

6 years ago

The email addresses with the old domain names that are still active, and are being serviced by Yahoo, are not being deleted by AT&T, even though none of us in CT are paying for AT&T Internet (or land line, or U-Verse) because those services were moved to Frontier. There’s a clause in one of the agreements you can access online stating that email accounts would not be affected. If there is a problem accessing a snet.net email account, AT&T needs to resolve the problem, and Yahoo can’t help. If we login to myAT&T.com, we can still get to the pages that contains the information on our email accounts (access through “My Profile”). All that being said, there was no one at AT&T who was able to get me back in.

I got locked out of my 22 year-old snet.net account (and associated sub-accounts) around 4 p.m. on December 9, 2017, and no one could give me an explanation as to why this happened. From that date until sometime in March, I spent countless hours speaking to many technical people in many different areas of AT&T support (including their paid service), and no one could get me back in. (I will say that almost every person I spoke to genuinely tried to help.) Everything seemed to lead them back to saying that my accounts couldn’t be accessed because I no longer had Internet services through AT&T, and that I could get access back if I re-established service. Of course, living in CT, this isn’t an option we have. 

At the beginning of April I finally sent a very long, detailed letter to the Attorney General’s office here in CT. 2 weeks later I got a response from one of the assistant Attorney Generals who was assigned my case. Two days later I was contacted by people from two separate areas of AT&T telling me that they were working on getting my email accounts restored, but that they couldn’t guarantee any of the folders/emails would still be there. Within one week, after a few more calls from AT&T technicians, not only were my snet.net email accounts back in service, but all of the emails were there in all of the folders! I can’t stress how happy I was with this outcome.

So the bottom line: If AT&T tells you that there’s nothing that can be done to get you back into your account, if you go through certain channels it’s interesting how they can do what they tell you can’t be done, and do it quite quickly!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Perhaps the Attorney Generals office can give AT&T a push to do that to all of the snet.net accounts.  Mine just disappeared this week with no notice .  Very frustrating although I had been migrating most emails to another service I would still like to move some folders etc... Any suggestions on who to call or is it really not worth ii at this point

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

6 years ago

Hi anniebf.  Of all the phone numbers I had and tried, the one that worked the best for me was 1-877-353-1761.  The person I spoke to in this "department" was knowledgeable of the old snet.net accounts.  If you still live in CT and no longer have phone/TV/Internet services through AT&T, then your account and phone numbers will no longer be recognized because, technically, none of us have had an account with them for nearly 4 years, when we were switched to Frontier.  If you call and get the automated system, which will ask for your account number, you will need to keep pushing "0" to bypass all the "I don't understand you" prompts until you get to an actual person and an actual person can look up your email address (they can't find anything associated with our phone numbers and old account numbers either) and should be able to help you get back in.  (Notice I used the word "should", because that wasn't the case with me.)

I obviously felt it was worth pursuing to get my email account (and emails) back, as my life was tied to that email address and there were many emails that contained important information, were sentimental (i.e.: some from people I can never hear from again), etc. It took me nearly 5 months (2nd week in December, 2017, through near the end of April, 2018), but I'm glad that I didn't give up.  If it's not important enough to you to pursue it to the extent that I did, hopefully you will reach a knowledgeable person who will be able to help you.  BTW:  Don't even try Yahoo for help - they only "service" the accounts and have nothing to do with helping us to get into them if there are problems.

I wish you luck!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Well halleluai! We too had this same issue for a 22 year old snet.net e-mail account my 82 year mother could no longer access. That is, it suddenly stopped receiving or being able to send e-mails! And the 22 year old password did not work. So as per the entry above, I called 1-877-353-1761, and when prompted for an AT&T phone or account number, hit 0, hit 0 again, then said, "speak with a representative." Got through to Edwin at AT&T who acted like he knew exactly what was needed! He explained that since some servers had been updated, all he had to do was re-set the account's password. (Amazingly, we were able to ALSO remember the date we had entered for the security question "What is your Mother's maiden name?" LOL!!! ) After waiting patiently for us to navigate to the ATT.COM site and signing in to the snet.net account with the new temporary password, we ere prompted to enter a new, strong one, which we did and we hope we will remember for another 22 years! Thank you Edwin, AT&T and Mentor who wrote above entry. We are IN. Woo hoo! 🙂

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hooray. I am back into my account. Amanda did a fantastic job of getting back up and running. I thought for sure the account was gone for good. Great job Amanda!!!

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

6 years ago

MentorFollower and anniebf, I am very glad to hear about your happy endings!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.