For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
FranzP's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 8:15 PM

No ability to call home landline from mobile phone when in MCell range

My wife brought home a used White MCell many months ago, no improvement resulted. I figured it had to do with our location or that she bought something broken and left it at that. A few days ago I decided to look into it and found she had not done the set up correctly. After unplugging power, placing cable into yellow receptacle in the MCell and ensuring our mobile phone numbers were registered, the MCell indicator appears on my iPhone 6 and all green lights on the unit appearsolid green - at least most of the time. We are able to call out on our cell phones and call from cell phone to cell phone however we cannot call from our mobile phones to our landline telephone. One of our goals is to get rid of the landline but can't do that until the mobile phones work consistently at home. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@OttoPylot is our resident Microcell expert.  Hopefully, he'll be able to provide advice for your situation. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

If both of you have an iPhone 6 or greater, you can use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) and not even need the MicroCell.

Purchasing a used MicroCell is always dicey unless you take some precautions, which are listed in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). The fact that you indicated he lights are solid green "most of the time" indicates that something is not quite right.

We too have a landline. I recently replaced the cordless phones and base unit with a new one so we did some testing by using our iPhones to call the landline and there were no issues at all.

Without knowing  how you have the MicroCell setup, your ISP, etc it's difficult to determine the cause. The fact that the M-Cell alpha tag is displayed on your phone, and you can make cellular calls indicates that the MicroCell is working fine. I'm assuming your landline is a traditional POTS line.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

IT/TelCom novice here. Yes copper lines, DSL I guess , data runs over same wires as landline. Copper from phone box near utility power main connected to two port connector in box in wall - one to landline cordless phone base, the other to the WiFi router(?). I'm not sure but think our modem is part of the large transformer (it has a cable and a number of lights on it) which provides power to what I believe is the multi-port router. Data line runs from router to desktop computer and another to MCell. Internet is working fine via wifi to laptop and phones. Must be a relatively simple problem - something is not connected right or is interfering with the phone call from mobile to landline.

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

@FranzP do you get an error recording when you try to call or does something else happen? That'll help narrow down what's going on.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

@FranzP - If you have DSL then you need to put an in-line filter on your line to the house. I filter mine at the MPOE via the test jack so I don't have to dangle filters on the house phones. I also run a dedicated line from the in-coming phone line to the DSL modem with nothing else connected to that line.

Who is your ISP and are all of your phones capable of WiFi-C? Something is not right about your setup.

The MicroCell is connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable. No switches or anything else in between and you have confirmed that the MicroCell meets the minimum router requirements?

Ok, so the landline works as expected. The MicroCell works as expected. You just can't call your landline from a cell phone, correct?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Jt - I just get a Call Failed on my cell phone. Otto - what I thought was a transformer mentioned earlier is a SlingLink provided by my local ISP company along with the Pace 411N Router. The SlingLink is plugged into an outlet as recommended and a cable runs from it to the router. I suppose the sling device is meant to provide internet connectivity through the 110v wiring. The MCell is connected to the router via cable. Interestingly we also can't connect our Sony Bravia tv to the home wifi either.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

@FranzP - the SlingLink is an ethenet adapter that uses your house wiring to transfer the signal. It is only as good as your house wiring so any issues with wiring will affect your connection. It is the same thing as a Powerline adapter, which we don't recommend to use with a MicroCell for the reason I just gave. We have also seen lots of issues with the Pace 411N routers.

If you can't get WiFi on your tv as well then that indicates to me that your entire connection is insufficient and should seriously be looked at and modified by your ISP.

Who is your ISP and what are your speeds? My guess is that if you ran a VoIP test you'd get less than optimal results.

The more interruptions you have in your MicroCell to router connection the more you are likely to have issues, especially if you are using a poweline adapter-like device to connect your router to your incoming internet connection.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

My experience with powerline adapters and the Mcell was a disaster.  I could go into the numerous reasons that Ethernet via home wiring is a problem for the Mcell but suffice to say that unless your house's electrical wiring layout is pristine, there is usually enough interference from wiring problems and appliance noise to render a powerline adapter inadequate for use with the Mcell.

You might try a repeater if your home layout does not lend itself to a wired Ethernet connection between your Mcell and your router.  I've done this and it will work but be advised that the more complex your home network, the more likely you will have problems with the Mcell. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Jt - I just get a Call Failed on my cell phone. Otto - what I thought was a transformer mentioned earlier is a SlingLink provided by my local ISP company along with the Pace 411N Router. The SlingLink is plugged into an outlet as recommended and a cable runs from it to the router. I suppose the sling device is meant to provide internet connectivity through the 110v wiring. The MCell is connected to the router via cable. Interestingly we also can't connect our Sony Bravia tv to the home wifi either. If I have a Wi-Fi router why do I need the sling device connected to the house wiring? Isn't the wireless router providing connectivity from mobile devices to the Internet?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

@FranzP - your post confused me because the first part of it is very similar, if not exact, to the your post of the other day.

Your router by itself should be able to provide any WiFi access to the internet if configured correctly. The MicroCell is not a wireless device so it needs a direct ethernet connection to the router. The Sling device appears to be similar to a Powerline Adapter in that it uses your house ac wiring as an "ethernet cable" so that you can connect faraway devices to your router if using an actual ethernet cable is not a viable option.

You may have to disconnect everything and just start with your phone line connecting to the modem and the modem connecting to the router. Then see what can connect and what can't and work your way up. Process of elimination. Install an inline filter, if you haven't done so already, on all of your landline phones to eliminate the loud  hum of your data connection.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.