For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
hvjackson's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 4:17 AM

Microcell: white vs black models

This is not a question, but just some info for anyone interested.

I had an older white Microcell (model DPH151) and just got a new black model (DPH154) and thought I would post some comparisons I measured (other than the physical differences, which are obvious):

Power Consumption:

I measured the "idle" power draw of both models using their stock AC adapters. By idle I mean powered up, fully activated/online, but with no call in progress (probably the most common condition):

White model: 13 watts

Black model 6 watts

This is a notable improvement, although in the scheme of things not really a big difference; in my area that amounts to about $12/year in electricity saved with the black model. I also measured both devices with the same 3rd party 12v AC adapter and got the same results, so the power savings are due to updated electronics in the new model, not any differences in the AC adapters they come with (although the new one comes with an efficiency "Level V" adapter and the old one is "Level IV").

Cell Strength

I measured cell strength at 3 locations around my house. I put my phone in diagnostic mode to test the cell strength. Numbers closer to 0 are better.

White model:

Position 1: -30 dB

Position 2: -80 dB

Postion 3: -99 dB

Black model:

Position 1: -30 dB

Position 2: -76 dB

Position 3: -97 dB

The new black model came out slightly ahead but these numbers are so close I'm calling it a statistical draw. It's possible there are some modest improvements in signal strength but certainly nothing to buy a new device for. 

(Notes about testing: the iPhone can be put into diagonstic mode by dialing *3001#12345#*. The cell strength is measured in dB, which is a measure of signal loss, so the numbers are always negative and closer to 0 means less loss. Since the phone was sometimes slow to update the display after being moved, I put the phone into airplane mode and then back to regular mode before taking each reading. Also, our property has zero AT&T service... in fact there is no service for at least a mile... so I think the results of this test are not affected by any real AT&T towers, but I can't know that for sure.)

Cell Data Speed

I made a few measurements of 3G data speeds (with my phone's wifi turned off), but the results were so inconsistant I won't bother to report them. I assume the data speeds are influenced by the speed of my internet connection, which of course can vary for unpredicable reasons. Hopefully anyone using a Microcell has a wifi network, so 3G data speeds are not relavent.

Not Tested:

- Activation/startup times. Anecdotally the models seem to be about the same (~5 minutes after the first activation).

- Number of call drops

- Audio quality while on a call

Voyager

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

The Gear S3 uses Tizen OS and it really sucks. I have tried turning on the WiFi and it does not work. I haven't try it again in a while but I think I had problem with the WiFi calling on the Note 4. Most everything I own, phones/tablets/wearables are all Samsung and that might have to change. 

I really don't want to spend $600 on a Cel-Fi, it is annoying but not dire. If I could just get everyone to learn to call my landline first, I wouldn't have a problem. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Your Note 4 and Gear S3 are not WiFi Calling capable, that's why they will not connect via WiFi-C.

AT&T's website lists all the WiFi-C capable phones.  They include the iPhones (SE up through iPhone 7 Plus), Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy J3, Galaxy S7, LG G6, LG X Venture, LG K10, LG V20 and LG G5.

Voyager

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

OttoPylot - Thank's for the link. I am having my husband look at it. I use to be IT and IS and now it drives me nuts. I hated networking. Thankfully my husband is a sr. network guy, so I don't have to deal with it. But I am always the sucker that has to do the research and then have him read it. 

I am assuming you have no idea about the Samsung Note 4 problems with Microcel. I guess some connection would be better than none. 

I hate technology.... it is suppose to make things easier but it does the opposite. I miss DOS.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Tangy13 - we kept our landline as well because our internet service is ADSL2+. Fortunately for us, our ISP took over maintenance and management of our old AT&T copper line so we're not dependent upon AT&T and it has worked flawlessly. We have seen numerous problems over the years with Samsung phones and the Android OS but any phone, by any mfr can have issues. Usually WiFi-C works very well on the Android OS but it all depends on the "flavor" of the OS, updates, and other apps that have been loaded.

WiFi-C is subject to the same issues that WiFi has in general and some phones just handle that better than others.

@Avedis53 - thanks for looking up the WiFi-C info on applicable phones. I didn't see your post when I replied above.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.