For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
bidwales's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, May 4th, 2014 3:24 PM

MicroCell - Activation not permitted with GoPhone or Data only subscription

I live in an area where i get one bar on AT&T

I have a pre-paid GoPhone account and I pay AT&T $55 a month for this phone with about 1GB of data, more than sufficient for my needs.

I have a data only post-paid account for my iPad for which I pay  $30 a month.

My wife has a Federal Gov AT&T phone.

I bought a MicroCell to improve our phone reception at home and attempted activation:

1. System wont register to a data only account (iPad)

2. System wont register to a GoPhone account

3. Since my wifes phone is her employers we have no account access so cant register on that account.

AT&T Technical support said they cant help!!!

AT&T - Are you really so inefficient that you cant find a work around for us? Is our money not good enough for you? Don't you care?

Anyone - can you suggest a fix - I have 14 days before I must return MicroCell and if I do that I'll switch my accounts to Verizon and be done with it.

My father-in-law has AT&T but his address is in Texas we live in SF - could this provide a fix? although I suspect the GPS issue will then come into play? 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks everybody. I got it. Let's end the discussion here.

Steve 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Phil-101 - thanks.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I agree totally. I was under contract with AT&T for years and live out in the country. I purchased the Microcell from them, and decided to prepay after contract ran out, due to not needing that kind of usage. I just spoke to AT&T rep. because they shut it off! I explained I have other options with other Services and the rep. couldn't have cared less !

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I  purchased the cell from AT&T and went from a contract with them for years. Then I realized that I didnt need a contract and went to a prepay plan for 2 phones, same numbers. They shut my cell off recently and Im paying $100 per month and they sell you something that you can no longer use! That is wrong, I am still a customer.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

NO lets not end this ! Your not the only one that this has happened too! Theres alot more Im sure that doesnt know about this forum.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Lotbb1 wrote:

I agree totally. I was under contract with AT&T for years and live out in the country. I purchased the Microcell from them, and decided to prepay after contract ran out, due to not needing that kind of usage. I just spoke to AT&T rep. because they shut it off! I explained I have other options with other Services and the rep. couldn't have cared less !

Care or not, they can’t do anything.    A postpaid account is required for both microcell and WiFi calling.   

AT&T does not offer contracts.   You can purchase full price phones and remain on postpaid with month to month billing.  

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

You do realize that you are responding to a person who posted about 2 years ago and isn't going to see your response?  I'm not sure what knowing about this forum is going to do for anyone regarding prepaid phones and the Mcell.  That policy has been around for years and wasn't a secret.  You switched to a prepaid plan and expectedly, AT&T turned off the Mcell as you no longer qualify to use it.

AT&T isn't going to make an exception for you regardless of how long you've been a customer.   You are certainly free to change providers as Verizon has their version of the Mcell that they call a Network Extender for users in poor coverage areas.  Do keep in mind that Verizon also requires a post-paid account to use their Range Extender and prepaid plans are excluded from using them just like AT&T.

Good luck.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Im quite aware that the person ask the questions awhile ago. This forum is for opinions and information. This happened to me this week and I felt that my input on this forum is informative and My opinion, Just like 
yours was to reply. I thank you for your input and find it was quite informative and redundant for me to read. Actually it was as welcome as a a root canal would be!
Have a nice day ! 
Lotbb1

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Lotbb1 - yes, this is an old thread but the requirements for the MicroCell have always been available since Day 1. And that is a land-based internet service with a post paid AT&T cellular account in good standing. Once WiFi-C was introduced, the post paid account was also a requirement for WiFi-C on AT&T's network.

Sales of the MicroCell were discontinued at the end of 2017 because it has reached it's EOL. Service will continue for the present but it too will eventually be discontinued. Your only options are to switch to WiFi-C, purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line), switch carriers, or possibly try Google Voice.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

you might use a cell phone signal booster instead, it does not require activation. I have SolidRF BuildingForce 4G, works great

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.