For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Dtrappy's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, September 15th, 2017 11:37 PM

Your iPhone 8 deal is a scam as usual

You have buy an iPhone 8 get one free with direct tv , but I have to open another line for $20 dollars a month so it's basically your giving 13 dollars a month off . I think your dishonest as usual I pay $343 a month just for phones and service and it's 210 with phones at sprint . I've been a loyal customer for 8 years and I will be cancelling both the phones and direct tv as soon as my contract is finished , no one at your company cares but hopefully someone reads this and doesn't by your service or direct tv

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Abby328 wrote:

It seems like there are many expert here how may works for the company and try to present fact as a rebuttal.

Why isn't a fact a valid rebuttal? (Employees are marked as employees or as moderators).

I have a question to the experts, what’s the deductible on the iPhone X.  I have 3 different numbers, go figure. 

This is posted on-line. 

I don't think any of the cellular "experts" use the insurance, It's pretty high cost and pretty high deductible for what you get.

Lots of complaints with the process and the condition of the equipment received. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

As usual-Big Corp America is not “REALY” required to have any truth in advertising.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines.]

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Lol. It’s actually the opposite! Sell the device keep the line open for $15 - give att a non smartphone sim #. Now you have a line that can upgrade every year. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It’s not a scam if they tell you up front you have to add a line. They don’t hide it... if they hid it.... that would be a scam. I did this promotion yesterday (but the BOGO promotion does not have anything to do with having direct tv or not.... it’s simply a buy one get one free promo. But maybe it’s diffedent in the market you are in...the way around having to pay an extra $20 is like what I did....I have multiple lines on my account...yes I had to add a new line (which is associated with a new phone number)... so then 1 minute later, you cancel one of the other lines on your account (if it’s not associated with an installment plan).....that line basically gets a new phone number....but that’s all that changes   Nothing else. The phone that was associated with the line that you cancellled just gets a different SIM card but in and the number changes...who actually cares about phone numbers? I don’t even know my moms number...(I know that some people do card about their phone numbers).... but if you want to do the promotion, just do what I did....if you do, then you are technically not paying anymore for a new line because you cancelled the other one. They even have a term for it in the store and they get in trouble if they do it... so I told the guy I would wait till the next day and cancel the other line on my own...anyway...it’s not a scam...but it is a good way for them to generate new lines.... so it’s a good business strategy... but if you know how to work it in your Favor, you can get a free iPhone. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

THANK YOU! For articulating what I was trying to say! 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I just left the AT&T store on Mary Esther Fla. I was told by an Uber driver that the iPhone X that I just purchased was having a promotion. You get an 8 for free if you add  a line with unlimited data plan direct TV with the purchase of an iPhone X.  So I went into th Store to ask why I wasn’t told about the promotion. He said because you live in a condo with prepaid television. We cannot offer you the direct tv free iPhone promotion. Appeaantly this is for the direct TV satellite plan. So it’s very misleading to read thenpromotion. As it’s stated,  It’s a baited hook for direct television new customers. Phone companies only way of making money (AT&T Verizon sprint  t mobile) is to sell service or accessories. Apple and galaxy have edged the carriers from profitable gains. That’s why you don’t get much technical support when you go to the carrier stores. Because frankly if you’re not purchasing something new related to servicenor accessories. They really don’t get paid to be concerned with technical questions. . If you want technical solutions or help you have to go to an Apple store. Or something compatible. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@12345linesdeep wrote:

I just left the AT&T store on Mary Esther Fla. I was told by an Uber driver that the iPhone X that I just purchased was having a promotion. You get an 8 for free if you add  a line with unlimited data plan direct TV with the purchase of an iPhone X.  So I went into th Store to ask why I wasn’t told about the promotion. He said because you live in a condo with prepaid television. We cannot offer you the direct tv free iPhone promotion. Appeaantly this is for the direct TV satellite plan. So it’s very misleading to read thenpromotion.

I don't understand why this is misleading? It sounds like the driver told you you needed DirecTV and you don't have DirecTV (or maybe you read it before you went back to the store). I'm not even sure why you went back to the store. 

You would have to add a brand new line for the promo to get a free BOGO phone.

The details are always in the written offer. ALWAYS read it.

It would be WAY more clear if you posted a link or photo of the offer as this thread is about an offer from 9/2017 and they change all the time. I'm not even sure if you are talking about a current offer or an expired one.

That said: I don't recall the last BOGO requiring DirecTV. But I think it expired last week see https://www.att.com/deals/apple-iphone-8-bogo.html#legal

I heard (read in forums) that you could buy an X and get an 8 as part of the iPhone 8 BOGO but I've never seen it in writing. I would NOT chance it if you do not have it in writing unless you were going to buy two phones anyway (and add a new line).

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@12345linesdeep wrote:

I just left the AT&T store on Mary Esther Fla. I was told by an Uber driver that the iPhone X that I just purchased was having a promotion. You get an 8 for free if you add  a line with unlimited data plan direct TV with the purchase of an iPhone X.  So I went into th Store to ask why I wasn’t told about the promotion. He said because you live in a condo with prepaid television. We cannot offer you the direct tv free iPhone promotion. Appeaantly this is for the direct TV satellite plan. So it’s very misleading to read thenpromotion. As it’s stated,  It’s a baited hook for direct television new customers. Phone companies only way of making money (AT&T Verizon sprint  t mobile) is to sell service or accessories. Apple and galaxy have edged the carriers from profitable gains. That’s why you don’t get much technical support when you go to the carrier stores. Because frankly if you’re not purchasing something new related to servicenor accessories. They really don’t get paid to be concerned with technical questions. . If you want technical solutions or help you have to go to an Apple store. Or something compatible. 

Not only are they not paid to be concerned with technical questions they aren't (in most cases) knowledgeable to answer that type of concern. Would you want your car salesman figuring out what that weird sound is, or would it make more sense to go to the dealership's service department?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Yes I found out about the promo after I purchased the x. So I went in and asked why I was t offered the promo because I have already added direct tv. The manager was going to honor the promotion. But he came back and said that it was for home installation of direct tv. Not the direct tv you add to your phone for 11.99. I went back thinking I missed out on a promotion. However they did say they would give me an iPad for 99$ if I added service to it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@12345linesdeep  The promotion is not misleading ... 

DirecTV satellite and DirecTV NOW streaming service are totally different.  

DTVN is a prepaid service with no account number and no way to enforce if customers cancel.  

DTV satellite requires installation and a 2 year contract.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.