Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
jlips78's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, July 28th, 2017 5:05 AM

Roaming charges

Here are my notes of what has happened to me regarding roaming charges.

Att and Peru trip (July 6-31)

July 3rd - was told phones needed to be on cellular data off and wifi on to not incur roaming charges

July 15th - received text message of roaming charges and I called. That agent told me because the first att agent from July 3rd misinformed me, that all roaming charges would be dropped but she said to put all phones on airplane mode with wifi on to not incur roaming charges which I did. Please note I have witness and a recorded phone call as well.

July 27th I received a bill for $570.78 so I called again and I am being told first that the notes say that the agent on July 15th was going to drop $80 off the bill not the whole thing like she said. I told this agent that this was simply not true and that I had witnesses to the conversation of the July 15th agent's refund of all roaming charges.

Call was dropped at 10:39 and call was returned at 10:43.

Phone call was dropped for the 2nd time at 11:11pm. Waiting one more minute before calling back.

11:14 called back and I'm on the phone with a new agent explaining the situation.

11:21 on hold so agent can look over each line of notes for the times I've called on July 3rd and 15th and hopefully today.

*cellular data was off the entire time from July 6 and on

*phones were only used with wifi on July 6-15th

*phone were only used on airplane mode with wifi on from July 15th and on

*11:26pm was told I was going to be put on hold for a couple of minutes so I could 'calm down'. I have witnesses to this phone call. I am not raising my voice so not sure why I'm being told to calm down. Just because I am standing up for what I was told doesn't mean I need to calm down.

*11:26 started receiving text messages about my case number and how I would get a phone call from back office department. These messages came from 'April'.
AT&T Free Msg: Your case number is: CM20170728_126372161. You will be contacted by 08/01/2017. Thank you!
ard link AT&T Free Text Messages. Thank you for contacting us about your concern.Im happy to work with you. Already applied for adjustment for the
ard link international charges it will be review by our back office Department, you will received a call on august 1, 2017 in the afternoon from them .
ard link case id was sent to your mobuile number for the reference of the call and the adjustment that was applied. April

*been on the phone with att since 10:29pm (over an hour). It is now 12:03pm..still on hold.

11:48 - representative asked "is this your first time overseas?" What does that have to do with anything? I did my due diligence as a consumer and called att on July 3rd, 3 days before my trip and the agent said cellular data off and use the phone only on wifi. I confirmed with the July 3rd agent regarding not incurring roaming charges and even made a joke about not wanting to come back with a thousand dollar bill because I have heard of that happening and he assured me: cellular data off, use only on wifi. Why is the agent that is currently helping me so patronizing and talking down to me like it matters if this was my first time traveling abroad or not. Do you know how that makes me feel? Like I should know better had I traveled abroad more as if I would be "smarter" if I had more money to travel.

It is now 12:05 pm Peru time.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jlips78 Please add the International Day Pass to your plan for the rest of your trip.

Then the max you would be charged for international usage is $10 a day for the rest of your trip. 

I think it's good to have this on a plan because the worst you would get charged for a day of international is $10 (because $10 a day is way better than $570!).  If everything is off properly and functioning correctly you wouldn't even get the $10 charge but for sure you won't get crazy charges.

Of course if you did not have IDP on and only used one byte, the cost would be less, but that's not the way these things happen (clearly).

(Just putting this part in for future readers)

OR you could add a passport (but you wouldn't really benefit from that at this point as the cheapest is $40), the passport has a limited amount of data, but the overages is billed at a lot lower rate (so are calls/texts).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

Wait, what did she get billed $570 for if data was off?   Phone calls?   If you used the phone for anything other than pictures, you will have to pay something for the usage.  

Unless the OP has made 40 minutes worth of calls and used 1/4 gig of data, passport is plenty.   It seems the trip to Peru is a 2 week trip, so the International Day Pass would be $140 but would remove the $570 she incurred.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Would be interesting to know what the $570 in charges were for. Turning off data only stops data charges. If the OP thought that also stopped charges for calls or texts, that was wrong.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster That'd be a lot of texts.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Unless the OP has made 40 minutes worth of calls and used 1/4 gig of data, passport is plenty.   It seems the trip to Peru is a 2 week trip, so the International Day Pass would be $140 but would remove the $570 she incurred.  

I was just thinking for the next few days JUST IN CASE everything was not off. 

Obviously, if they could backdate a passport/IDP would be better. 

$570 seems like a lot of usage.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L   At $3.50 or so a minute over 2-3 weeks, easy.   And $1 per text.    If the bill is not yet produced a passport can be added.  I also vaguely remeber reading about day pass and passport can be used on the same trip.  Maybe day pass can be added to days she went overboard?

And we are trusting support to set it up right.  😱

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@sandblaster That'd be a lot of texts.

@Gary L Or calls but that's why I'd like to know what exactly exactly the charges were for. Something tells me data was not really turned off.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

At $3.50 or so a minute over 2-3 weeks, easy.   And $1 per text.

So you're saying you think they thought calling and texting would be free??

(Did texting go up, I thought it was 50 cents?)

@sandblaster I agree on the thought about data being off, part of why I suggested turning the day pass on.

Even if they get some credits, they aren't getting them for after the 27th (when the got the bill).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

Oh, your right text is 50 cents, MMS is $1.30.  

Do I think she thought text and calls were free?   Hmmm.  Any other month , no.  But there seems to be something in the water...

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Data was absolutely turned off from the Fort Lauderdale airport until we returned. The first support agent should have told me to turn airplane mode on and wifi assist off as well.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.