For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Rob7416's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 6:54 PM

Closed

Penalty for giving you more business

I recently purchased a new IPhone and renewed my 2 year contract. And for this offer to give AT&T more business I was assessed a $40 penalty as a processing fee. How is this justified? Is not my monthly 2 year commitment enough? Is not my monthly data plan for 2 iPads enough? Is not my monthly Uverse subscription enough? What exactly is another $40 applicable towards ? Please explain, if you can.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not on retainer and I agree that it is B S plain and simple.  How much does AT&T pay their office staff per hour?  ANd how many hours does it take to click a button and electronically accept a new contract?    Yea, bogus. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

If I'm on retainer to AT&T, they are seriously delinquent on their payments to me!

I just realize that companies charge for their products and services. If there wasn't an "upgrade fee", the price of equipment would be higher, or the monthly services fees would be higher, etc. Like I said, welcome to capitalism.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Then why not add it into the cost of the phone- which typically costs a couple of hundred dollars and not call it an upgrade fee?  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

In my case, I did not take any new equipment. The charge was not even mentioned verbally, or in the quote, of which I have a signed copy. But I was charged the amount. And I do not know if I'll have to pay that amount even if I cancel the service after a week of use.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

10 years ago

I recently left Verizon for AT&T.. Verizon also charges an upgrade fee. The fee covers the extra paperwork. Yes, it feels like we are nickel and dimed to death. Too bad, but this is how it is. If you add a line in a store, you pay a $35 fee for the paperwork for that also.

After trying to get a fair deal from Verizon after 19 years, I learned the best way to get a fair deal and I got a better deal from AT&T.
1. Pay for the phone out-right, which did not mean from AT&T, I bought from Amazon.
2. make changes during promotions. I moved us over during the early days of the $160 promotion when there was no new line fee and a $100 rebate for each new line.
3. if you follow these suggestions you can leave any time you start feeling abused or taken advantage of.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@tracyalderson wrote:

Then why not add it into the cost of the phone- which typically costs a couple of hundred dollars and not call it an upgrade fee?  

last time I checked the phone cost more than 200 bucks over the life of the contract.  its 25 xtra a month to have a contract if the phone is 200 your paying 800 over the coarse of a 2 yr contract.  Now if I buy my phone outright it costs 579.00(LG G3)  I dont pay that 25 xtra and have 130 xtra in my pocket.  Now I got the kids 4 moto g lte phones and paid 149 each for them.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@tracyalderson wrote:

Because the prices of phones are advertised, and merchants want to advertise the lowest price legally possible. It's the same reason U.S. merchants aren't required to include sales taxes in the prices they display. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Whatever- you must work for ATT or you would feel the pain of being charged this bogus fee.  

Don't say you don't .  It is ludicuous and [Please keep it courteous]

I had to remind myself who owns this forum!  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I feel the same way-Have been with AT&T since we got cell phones and have never paid an Upgrade fee. I have paid an $18 activation fee per phone when we renewed but never $40.00 per phone. We didn't upgrade anything-same plan-basic phones. They should reward returning customers not charge them outrageous fees-with all the wireless providers I will be looking for a new provider when we renew again. I'm sure some other company would appreciate our business and loyalty. The AT&T store we went to didn't have the phone in stock that I wanted so they had to order one-took 3 weeks-REALLY?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.