For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
KYAL1980's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 21st, 2018 12:16 AM

AT&T received my trade in device but says they didn’t

In Oct 17, we upgraded one of our ATT lines to the new iPhone X. We chose to do the "Next" program where we pay for that phone each month over 30 months on the bill. After completing the purchase we were told we would have to trade in our current iphone and that a shipping label would be created and to use that to return our old device. We got the label, went to the post office, bought a box and shipping supplies and mailed the phone back to ATT on 11/10/2017. We received a track your package email from AT&T showing the phone was delivered on 11/15/2017 at 6PM. Then, a few weeks later, we receive a text saying the phone was not returned and we needed to return it to avoid being charged $999. I called customer service and was told that their processing center was running behind due to the holidays and that they'd advise me not to worry about it, that it should be processed soon. Again, another text came saying the phone wasn't received and we would be charged a $999 fee. I called the ATT customer service and was told they couldn't help me. I would have to go into a store. I went to the local store and was told to go to the corporate store. I go there and the reps called ATT to get the issue resolved. The corp rep was told that there was no reason for that charge and they'd refer it for review to their "Back office" and that I would receive a call from them within 5 business days. I waited for 2 weeks and never got a call. I then get my ATT bill and there was a $999 charge for non return of the trade-in device. I called the corp store and they called again and was told it would be referred to the "back office" for review. The "back office" denied it saying they would not remove the charges because they didn't have the phone, even though I sent them copies of the email tracking from ATT showing the phone was delivered. Now, it has been over 2 months and the GM now has the item on his desk and has yet to respond. I owed $140 on the trade in phone, not $999. The phone wasn’t $999 when we purchased it new. I did my part. I returned the device. But now can not get anyone to fix this issue!!! I have the tracking form that shows the phone was delivered to Fort Worth Texas on November 15th at 6:00pm. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

1. Additional Information

Your item was picked up by the shipping agent at 2:39 pm on January 27, 2018 in DOUGLASVILLE, GA 30135.

Tracking History
January 27, 2018
2:39 pm

Picked Up by Shipping Agent,
DOUGLASVILLE, GA 30135

January 27, 2018
2:36 pm

Available for Returns Agent,
DOUGLASVILLE, GA 30135

January 26, 2018
2:43 pm

USPS in possession of item,
DOUGLASVILLE, GA 30134

@lizdance40

I tried to attached a photo of th tracking but to no avail. Per USPS, AT&T’s contracted shipping agent picked up the device. That’s all that tracking shows me. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

Perfect!  File a BBB or FCC complaint.  Someone from ATT will contact you.  ATT or Newgistics has an almost perfect system.  But almost only counts in horseshoes.

Newgistics has their own tracking, you can check their website with the tracking number you have for USPS.  

Your tracking and Newgistics pick up, puts the burden on them. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

“lizdance40 thanks. I’ll do that today.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you guys. I did file a complaint with the BBB and within a day, the Office of the President contacted me and said two things:

1. Lower levels didn't know how to handle my situation, so they were just tossing me around.

2.She was going to credit me for the amount for the line and reimburse the device charge back fees for cancelling the line which were about to hit my account. (as of this writing, she's already taken care of it.)

She also indicated they'd be doing internal training because all of this could have been avoided from the very beginning.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

Perfect.  Thanks for updating.  Lower levels don’t know how to fix things.  They should know when they’re over their head and pass it on to one who does.  IDIOCY.   Hope this training pans out.   🙄

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Perfect.  Thanks for updating.  Lower levels don’t know how to fix things.  They should know when they’re over their head and pass it on to one who does.  IDIOCY.   Hope this training pans out.   🙄

It's not necessarily IDIOCY on the reps' part. They don't have the resources to correct things that are seriously out of the ordinary.  And that's by design, I'm sure. Cases as jacked up as this are very, very rare. From a purely logistic point of view, it makes sense that AT&T would rather inconvenience this small minority of customers rather than give every rep the ability to issue huge adjustments or escalate cases to the highest level. It's horrible for the customers involved, of course, but I can see why AT&T would think that's the best decision for the business.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

There will never be anything like the truth. In this case and in life, if you can’t do something or need help from someone else, just say it. Don’t lie to a customer and/or lie on a customer to get it out of your hands. Every lower level rep all notated that I returned the device to the store and I needed to go there RATHER than hearing me when I said I shipped the device. If it wasn’t going to the store, it was that I needed to return to USPS where I shipped it (now 390 miles away) to see if it’s not sitting on the counter despite the tracking. 🤦🏽‍♀️

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Mscooley wrote:

There will never be anything like the truth. In this case and in life, if you can’t do something or need help from someone else, just say it. 

Would you really want a customer service rep to say, "Sorry, I can't do anything."? There isn't anyone else they can get help from; their hands are tied. It's one of the most frustrating positions to get put in. That said, I would wager most if not all of them thought they were actually doing something to fix the problem. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.