Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
surf003's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 10:33 PM

ATT mysterious hard hit credit inquiries

I have a credit reporting service and that service shows a hard hit credit inquiry on my account today, Jan 5 2017. When I called the fraud dept. they could not see anything??? And, the call taker said that he has had many calls today of the same nature and could not see any of the activity from ATT's side!!?? A manager is supposed to call me back but that could be 24-48 hours?? I am very concerned and would like a quicker response on this very important matter . . . and by writing you here, I have a record of this with you guys. Think Possible and get me some salient information - it is your company that created this mysterious issue . . . or at least your companies name is on the hit.  ~b

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Out of courisity, does anyone who had the 1/5/17 AT&T credit inquiry use Credit Karma to check their credit?

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

@ChitownPops

While it's not what you're looking for, I figured it may be helpful to know that I use CK and am a AT&T customer and didn't get a hard inquiry from them.

Since CK pulls the data from EQ, maybe it's just that most people that are noticing it are noticing on CK since it's one of the more popular free credit reporting sites? Obviously, no way to know for sure yet, but hopefully a resolution will be available to you guys sooner than later.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I use credit Karma, and as I stated in a previous reply I've spoke with both Equifax and AT&T (I'm not even a customer, I used to be years ago) and it was a system error. They are working with each other to fix the problem and reassured me that I had to do nothing further as long as I wasn't the one who initiated the hard credit pull. They are already aware of what was going on and that it would be fixed without me having to do anything further. On the safe side I still filed a dispute with Equifax. So if anyone is having the same hard inquiry pulled from their Equifax credit report on January 5, 2017 from AT&T it's simply a mistake and measures are already being taken to correct it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

I also use Credit Karma and have noticed no new hits.

@Missmonack11 wrote:

On the safe side I still filed a dispute with Equifax. So if anyone is having the same hard inquiry pulled from their Equifax credit report on January 5, 2017 from AT&T it's simply a mistake and measures are already being taken to correct it.

I like how on one hand you're saying it was a mistake and not to worry,

but on the other hand you did file a dispute...

That inspires a limited amount of confidence   😉

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

7 years ago

Sounds like ATT knows of the issue and is working to correct it - great!  Stil have not heard back from the promised call that a fraud dept. manager is supposed to make to me - that does not instill confidence either  😉  

~b

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

OK, maybe here is a bit of 'some' relatively good news.  I spoke to 3 sections of AT&T...1)wireless services; 2)non-wireless services; and TV services.  3 different AT&T fraud departments. No one had any hits against my credit report.  So in theory AT&T says that they did not apply the credit hit against the Equifax credit report.  So, I went to the Equifax site, to open an Equifax dispute.  Once I answered all of Equifax's questions correctly, verifying my identity, I could look at all of the hard hits and 'soft' hits against my credit file. The 'hard hit' from AT&T 'did not' show up on my credit report on Equifax.  Rather it showed up on 1/5/2017 as a Credit Karma SOFT hit - which has no effect on our credit or credit score.  So while the AT&T and Credit Karma and Equifax have some sort of a data problem, it apparently is not fraud and is not causing us any negative hits from any future creditor.  Albeit, it does need to get resolved.  Hope that helps out there in this community.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@rschneid168 wrote:

Once I answered all of Equifax's questions correctly, verifying my identity, I could look at all of the hard hits and 'soft' hits against my credit file. The 'hard hit' from AT&T 'did not' show up on my credit report on Equifax.  Rather it showed up on 1/5/2017 as a Credit Karma SOFT hit - which has no effect on our credit or credit score.  So while the AT&T and Credit Karma and Equifax have some sort of a data problem, it apparently is not fraud and is not causing us any negative hits from any future creditor.  Albeit, it does need to get resolved.  Hope that helps out there in this community.

But earlier you said it was a HARD hit.  Was it hard then and they changed it? Or were you mistaken?

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Credit Karma showed it as an AT&T HARD Hit.

But...when you actually go to the Equifax website, and look at the real inquiries, the inquiry made was actually a SOFT hit on my actual Equifax Credit Report.  Equifax reports it as a soft hit from 'Credit Karma', not a hard hit from AT&T on 1/5/2017.

So...Credit Karma is reporting a Hard Hit, when it fact, it is really a soft hit (on the actual Equifax credit file).  Somewhere between Equifax and Credit Karma this inquiry is being reported 'wrong' on the Credit Karma web site (which is what is getting those aware all upset....)

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

It is in on my Equifax credit report as a hard hit on 1/5 I already disputed it with them as well.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

It's my credit. So I filed a dispute before I even spoke with someone from AT&T. I don't have an account with them. I would hope that anyone would, if they noticed an error on their credit report. I don't wait around for anyone to fix anything. If I could do anything to correct it myself I take the initiative to right away.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.