Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
CensoredComment's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 4th, 2016 7:30 AM

ATT dishonest additional data charges

On the final day of my billing cycle, I get the following message:
-----
AT&T Free Msg: 75% of the add'l 1GB of shared data added to your plan this billing period has been used. If you exceed this 1GB, we'll add another shared 1GB for $15 to your plan for use through 11/03/2016. Avoid add'l data charges by using Wi-Fi. Visit att.com/changemydata to view your data use or change your plan.
-----
On the first day of my next billing cycle, I get this:
-----
AT&T Free Msg: All of the add'l 1GB of shared data added to your plan in this billing period is used. We've added another shared 1GB for $15 to your plan for use through 12/03/2016. Avoid add'l data charges by using Wi-Fi. Visit att.com/changemydata to view your data use or change your plan.
-----
I've been disabling all sorts of apps (who knew the GPS chews through gigabytes of data!?) because I've been hit with multiple over limit charges in the last month and a half. This is the last straw though.

Has anyone else dealt with AT&T's dishonesty successfully? I'm about to pay the $150 to end my NEXT plan and jump to Sprint.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have also seen att pull the same stunt with me before I switched to their unlimited data plan. It was at this point things went from shady to outright theivery. I was double billed for the unlimited data plan for 13 months. Yeah, yeah I know, shame on me for not paying enough attention to the bill. Thank you autopay. Anyway, att admitted they had screwed up and would get me a credit for the previous month overbilling on my next bill, and they did, but would have to submit a "ticket" for the rest since it was over $500. Just found out today they rejected the request and offered $100 instead. To recap: Double billed for data plan for 13 months. $60 x 13 = $780 owed to me. Received $60 credit. $780 - $60 = $720 owed to me. att acknowledged mistake but now is only offering $100 credit. $720 - $100 = $620 that has been essentially been stolen from me. . Paying off the phones and switching carriers. Will never do business with att again, and that includes directv.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

You have 100 days to dispute charges. After that period you forfeit the right to any credits. This is why checking the bill every month is important.

3 months is the furthest back credits will go.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Igotrippedoff

You didn't read your bill for over a year?   Auto pay is no excuse.  If the money means that much to you, you should always check your bills.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

We had Sprint before. They have far less services than any other provider and much less customer service.

You will be at a greater disadvantage taking on Sprint. I have the same issue as you do with AT&T, and been on the brink of changing to another provider, but Utilities in the USA have a hold on everyone, particularly the Federal Government.

Despite what property rights one has, utilities have the right to create servitudes and easements for their services, if they deem fit for convenience and cost savings to themselves, even if these cover structures, porches, etc.

The Feds are too afraid to regulate them, for fear of the repercussions they have total control over. Unfortunately, this is not the America of the past, but the wholesale greed of the present.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

yes, I switched to another carrier .. At&T charged a cancel fee.. I'm not on a contract ..I actually upgraded and two days later my bill was double..I asked to go back to my old plan..They said it would take 5 days for that to happen..in the mean time they charged for activation.. I ve been a At&t customer for twenty something years..So I switched to another carrier At&t charged for the transfer fee and cancel fee..Is this legal..dishonest is what it is

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Concretemoney

If you leave any carrier, you have to pay off your phone and the last month of service.   

This is ALL CARRIERS, including your new one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.