For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Tetchreon's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, November 14th, 2016 6:24 PM

Account over charge due to Note 7 fiasco.

Several months ago I decided I would buy a Note 7 on release day and trade my Blackberry Passport (yea, I still use a Blackberry) as it was due for an upgrade. We all know how that went.

I thankfully had not had the opportunity to mail my Passport to AT&T before the recall came out and figured I would just keep the phone until I decided what to replace it with. However apparently AT&T decided I still should have returned it as this month they are attempting to charge me the remaining $162 (which isn't even the correct amount...) owed on the phone. I spoke with "Live Support" last week and was told the issue would be taken care of. As of today the amount owed on the account has not been updated. 

I'd like to pay my bill as it's due in 7 days...but will be unable to do so until this balance is corrected. I welcome any assistance or advice that can come my way.

Thanks in advance. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Tetchreon wrote:

If this is the only solution available to me, again I am willing to find service with another provider. 

They'll still continue to bill you even if you leave...

I suppose it's a plan. Just don't get upset if it backfires.

You're nice and mellow about it (I like that) especially the comment to MicCheck, "there is no reason other than an honest mistake on AT&Ts behalf for the $162."

Most people are are off the charts when something goes wrong.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the kind words Gary. I understand that they'll bill me for any outstanding money owed on the device (currently roughly $100), my October bill, and my November bill. The money owed on the device will of course be less two payments of $27 for October and November. 

Here's my problem, I've worked customer service since I was 15. In that time (I have people working for me now who didn't exist when I had my first job...scary how quick time goes 'eh?) I have never, not once, told a customer "Oh yea, that's our mistake. You should pay it anyway and then write us a letter. If you don't we'll discontinue your service. Oh but don't worry we'll probably refund it when we get around to reading that letter." If this is AT&T's official stance on the issue, that's fine. However it means that unfortunately their company no longer meets my expectations regarding customer service. It's not about the mistake, it's about how you deal with the mistake. 

I am currently paying $27.xx a month for the Blackberry Passport. The $162 is what was owed on the device when I picked up the Note 7. The Note 7 was almost immediately recalled and returned by me at which point the money I paid in tax was refunded. I was never charged any monthly fees for the Note 7 itself. I will not be paying the $162 listed on my current statement as I do not wish to pay off the device early, nor is $162 even the correct amount should I wish to do so at this point in time. 

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

I would reach out to @ATTMobilityCare (click the username to open a pre-addressed private message) with what's going on.

Most likely your Passport Next agreement got set to fully bill and pay off and was put on your bill. These issues can be fixed. I had someone hack into my online account last year and pay off $500 on a phone and I simply called customer support and they submitted a case and within a few days, the Next agreement was restored to the proper way it should be and they issued a refund to me.

A case should be able to be submitted to adjust the $160 something and have the Next plan reinstated for the remaining payments.

Also, to clarify the way credits work. Credits can be issued against the current balance and in this case they're usually instant and will be reflected in myAT&T. There are a few situations where that doesn't happen.

• Prorated credits for plan/feature changes are applied to the next bill (they are a pending credit)
  • Prorated credits for completing a ToBR are applied to the next bill (they are a pending credit)
  • Most system generated credits, such as BOGO credits

You may have have a delay in credits being applied to your account (but not neccessarily to the next bill cycle) if you have had a large amount of adjustments recently as they require an audit by a back office team for final approval.

Most of the time, credits submitted by reps will appear immediately as long as the rep doesn't actively choose to apply it to the next bill.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the advice Justin, I have forwarded the information to @ATTMobilityCare along with a link to this thread. 

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Tetchreon Great! Just so you know, it can take a few days for them to get back to you. They also usually reach out back through the forum so make sure to keep an eye on your inbox here on the forum (and your email notifications about new private messages).

If they don't get back to you in a few days, post back here to let us know.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 years ago

@Tetchreon.  I have complete confidence it will be fixed in your favor.  I would expect the credit was applied as promised.  My only concern is you not have any service interruption while ATT make the correction on your account.  

In all of ATT history, this has never happened before.  ATT had no precedent  to reverse out Next payments or stop a non-return fee.  This entire mess has been an unpleasant new experience for all.   Samsung will certainly have to romance customers back in March, June and August  if they expect to gain their market back.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

I just wanted to update this post...as of today I still have not received any response from AT&T regarding the issue. This has gone from a mildy amusing mistake that I was simpathetic to, to something entirely different now. 

I don't know what good posting here will do, but I just wanted to inform all of you who did attempt to help. 

Thanks again.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 years ago

@Tetchreon wrote:

I just wanted to update this post...as of today I still have not received any response from AT&T regarding the issue. This has gone from a mildy amusing mistake that I was simpathetic to, to something entirely different now. 

I don't know what good posting here will do, but I just wanted to inform all of you who did attempt to help. 

Thanks again.

@Tetchreon

Did you contact ATT through the forum @ATTMobilityCare ???  Did you get a reply through the forum mail system? ( The envelope in to top bar). 

It has been a week since your post.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

I did contact them through @ATTMobilityCare, no reply at all after a week. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Correction. It was @ATTCustomercare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.