For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
cmeisenzahl's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 1:13 PM

Traveling to Canada with iPhone for a weekend? ...

Hey guys, we're pretty new to AT&T. In a couple months I plan to head from the U.S. to Toronto for a weekend. I've heard horror stories about people racking-up insane voice and data charges when traveling to Canada.

When I was with Sprint a few years ago we could add some kind of international plan add-on for something like $3.99 for a single month that completely covered us there.

Does AT&T offer anything similar? What are the options?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

It would be soooooooo much easier if they just let us do it online, like the Mexico Roaming Bonus. Why is ATT making it so difficult, for not only the customer, but for the Customer Service Rep?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

There are several things that make no sense.  

Why is the international pay per use a separate line item and not automatically added?

why can't the NA plan be added online?

Why aren't the employees properly trained to know the plan and services?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 I think it's not added automatically because once enabled then international pay per use is now enabled for all countries, so if you accidentally dial and incur extra charges in a different country, it's you responsibility since you added it.  

I think that's why it's always been a free feature, but people have to choose to add it by making a concious decision.

When you a plan that needs it, it should autmatically alert you (e-mail and text)!!!!

@Busternutt and @lizdance40

NA and Canada isn't technically for Mobile Share customers. So it shouldn't be a menu item. We should just be happy we know we can add it.

If you're talking about NA for the Unlimited (DirectTV) Plan, I would think that they can add it on-line (although I have no way to check).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L

that does make sense, and a notice is a good idea.  How about a pop up when passport is added?

MSV plan customers should have access to the NA plan, it's still the current plan.  We still pay for all our data.  I don't get why the unlimited plan would get priority.  Since it has been added to MSV plan , it seems another hidden benefit/unwritten rule.  Weird.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 I'm with you. The same way I think it's weird that we're subsidizing certain features, for people who paid AT&T markup for phones, I think it's odd that others are paying for the one-off benefits, that only some know of.

Although, I don't know if the NA plan *is* part of the MSV plan, I only saw one person who said they got it (was that you @Gary L), on one line, when we were discussing.  The Canada Bonus is, and the Mexico Roaming, but again, the Canada Bonus is the secret-handshake deal, that's weird, to me anyway. 

What's weirder still, to me, is that some get the free Bonus and other plans for these countries, while others can still  buy the roaming plans, for the same destinations, and pay 60-120/month for them.  I guess it's good to be "in the know", but it seems iffy for those who aren't.

Why not just make them select-able options, if you can have them with MSV plans, by calling the correct department (I'm typing this, hoping I won't somehow get noticed/dinged ;-]), and complaining?

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Subsidizing? For some features that are there and you don't use is subsidizing others? Until recently, iPhone 6 owners can have wifi calling were subsidized by all the Android subscribers? If one does not use up all the mobile data allowance is subsidizing for the people who do? Before the "Next" plan, people didn't take advantage of discount phone prices every two years were subsizing others who did?

To learn and use all the features that you are paying for make you a smart consumer. Not to use certain features that are available is your own choice. By not using those features you are not subsidzing anyone.

By definition, NA Roaming is available for all MSV subscrbers with 15 gb data or more, not to a choice selected few. People got turn down becaue they ran into AT&T employees not fully updated on the plan details.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey That's me.  I've got it on one.  Someone else here just mentioned it in the last 48 hours, I believe they ended up getting it on all the lines finally. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

"Subsidising" other people's lunch:

Sometimes I see other people ask for extra pickles on their burger, that sandwich isn't even supposed to come with pickles.  They don't even pay extra for that, some of my money must pay for their extra pickles.

Look how many more times that person refilled their soda, it just isn't right, what if everyone did that?  I didn't even get one refill!!!

Just because someone isn't bothering to get their free refills or getting pickles on their sandwich that isn't supposed to have them isn't the end of the world.  If everyone ordered extra free pickles or lots of refills, they'll change the policy at some point.  But in the meantime, for the people that ask, it's just easier to give them the pickles...

UPDATED:

To be clear, I hang out here and know that I shoud ask for free (Canada Roaming) pickels!!!  I'm all for it!

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Not a good example. AT&T clearly established a system to provide pickles and refill on drinks (Mexico, Canada Bonus & Roam NA) and how many slices of pickles and number of refills (1 Gb or MSV mobile data) you can have.

I subscribe to a AT&T service plan that suits my needs at a price I am willing to bear. I am far from using unlimited calls and text, far from having 10 people in my MSV account, far from going to Mexico, Canada on monthly basis. I am fine with others using the plan to the fullest. I am not subsidizing them. AT&T just make more profit from my account comparing to those.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@tim horton No Canadian Pickles for Mobile Share unless you know to ask for them.

Sorry my comment was meant to be sarcastic, I do not feel that way, that was to show how ridiculous the some of the complaints are.  I hang out here and know that I shoud ask for free (Canada) pickels!!!

Some people always get more than others while they all pay the same price...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.