For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
emtiv334's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 19th, 2011 2:23 AM

Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone

I received a text message, an email, and now a letter from AT&T saying if I didn't stop using tethering on my iPhone, that my unlimited data plan would be removed and I would be signed up for a 4 gig limited + tethering plan.

1)  Wouldn't I have to HAVE a tethering plan before I could tether???  HELLOOOoooOO!!!  AT&T- pull your head out of your butt and get with the program here.

2)  Is it legal for a cell phone company to change your plan without your consent?

3)  If they do, I would imagine that would break the contract since that would not be the terms you signed the contract under.

4)  Anybody else being threatened with this?  Looks to me like AT&T just wants to get rid of all of us old-timers that still have unlimited plans.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

10 years ago

I am shocked this person was so rude.

I hate to discourage you, but there is no such thing as a truly unlimited data plan out there.
If you have it, keep it!!

Since plans with unlimited data do not include the ability to use the phone as a hot spot, at least most don't, how is it possible to tether? (other than physically cabling the phone to a larger screen or something)

One of the earlier posts mentioned that using Bluetooth will register as "tethering". If you use a BT ear piece or to your car, that might be the cause. Airplay to a device would be tethering. Cabling to another output device (like a TV screen) is also considered tethering, (that is particularly stupid. )
If you travel a lot and use the phone as entertainment, say so. But don't admit to using the phone as an output device in any way (screen, speakers, nothing)

Since you have an iPhone, you can force some apps to use wifi by turning off their ability to use mobile data in your phones settings.

I would take the threat seriously and take steps to stop "Debbie" and her kind from cutting you off.
Check you data use and see what is using the most mobile data.
enlist the help of a store employee at an AT&T store to test if your Bluetooth to car or ear piece registers as tethering. Document, document!

Let us know how it goes. This is very helpful to others in the same situation.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I recieved an email from AT&T yesterday and a text today.  I don't tether; I've never tethered.  I checked into it when they annouced that iPhones would be allowed to tether, but decided to keep my old unlimited plan.  The amount of data I use varies a lot, sometimes it's hardly any; sometimes it's quite a bit.  It depends on how much traveling I've been doing.  I accept that throttling is a fact of life, but I've done nothing to warrent these emails/texts.

I've called AT&T twice now once after each message.  The first lady told me it was my bluetooth speaker (a basic speaker that just plays the audio and doesn't control anything other than volume) that triggered the message.  The guy I talked to today said it was a mystery app that was tethering without me knowing - tethering to what I don't know, and the apps I have are all rather mainstream.  

I went into the AT&T store last night and the manager told me he didn't know what had triggered the message. He checked out my phone and didn't see what the problem was, he suggested that I watch my data use for the next month or so and it shouldn't be an issue.  I was on our home wifi all morning and I recieved, when I received the text about it.  I don't know if it was triggered before or something new.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have recently gone through this and I cannot tell you how much this is making me angry. The absolute only device that I have that could possibly maybe do what they are insisting that I am doing is my Fitbit. And Fitbit has completely denied that this is even possible. Even though I use very little data most months, sometimes less than a GB, they are telling me that I'm tethering and will get my plan cancelled. 

Tethering is turned off on my phone. It has never been set up to tether and prior to this, I had never even heard the term.  They won't tell me what date, time, location, amount of data transferred, anything... Just basically keep repeating that I have broken the terms of service, trust us. 

What I see here is that they are losing money on people with unlimited plans and are essentially using any excuse, no matter how illegimate, to be put onto a plan with data limits that will increase the odds of an overage charge. We use wifi at restaurants, in our homes, anywhere we can to avoid using cellular data minutes and they are fighting back. I have no direct proof but why else would they start harassing a customer who is not really doing anything wrong?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

"kdfederer Oct 28, 2011 4:35:53 PM ACE - Master
When you hook your phone to another device, that is "tethering"
Here is the definition of tethering "Tethering means sharing the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone with other devices."
It doesn't say computer, it says other devices. What you are doing is tethering. Plain and simple.
If you were watching on your phone, that is not tethering"

That absolutely positively is NOT tethering.

You said it yourself, tethering is sharing your phones internet connection with another device. Well I've got news for you, a DISPLAY CABLE DOES NOT CARRY TCP/IP TRAFFIC!!!! It's not sharing the phones Internet connection AT ALL! It's outputting the ALREADY EXISTING PHONE DISPLAY on a larger display. You are STILL limited to the abilities of the phone! You would have to extremely unintelligent to think that's sharing the phone's internet connection. Even Chromecast isn't sharing your phones Internet, ONLY WHAT'S ON YOUR PHONES SCREEN!!

[Please keep it courteous]

Scholar

• 

198 Messages

9 years ago

You bought unlimited, but you never had it really.

I estimate that for my company we spend several thousands of dollars to maintain unlimited status on a few of our lines, only to learn it wasn't really unlimited.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.