Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
LamarWashington's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Closed

AT&T, privacy, and business ethics

I just got this email from AT&T about my CPNI usage. Apparently they want to use my private info for marketing purposes. Here's what's wrong with that.

I'm already a customer, leave me alone. Stop advertising new services and products to your own customers it's an annoying waste that clutters the website, my inbox, and wastes time when calling customer service.

Second, they were going to take my private info anyway if I did not respond the long, confusing e-mail with unfamiliar abbreviations like CPNI. They are profiting from every instance of non-response. Most people don't have the time or don't care enough to contact AT&T and request not to have their privacy invaded.

The language used is deceptive: "By checking this box I am requesting that AT&T restrict the use of my CPNI." that's the quote. See, it seems like they are restricting you, because of the purposefully confusing language. In reality, they are being restricted. I wonder what they have to gain that they would phrase it in a backwards way like this, surely AT&T has no concern for clarity when communicating with customers.

Bad show guys. Most people aren't going to notice, the rest probably won't care, but I hope there are a few people who demand more from a company they pay thousands of dollars to annually.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

As I've said before in another link on this topic:

I have had the same problem opting out via the online form, and then via phone. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to navigate the menu system (which wouldn't let me speak to a customer service rep). Oddly enough, the system couldn't find any account with my phone number - although that's never a problem when it's time for me to pay my bill. So I dialed 611 and got a hold of a service rep to "make a payment", then asked him to opt me out instead.

It's quite obvious that AT&T has deliberately has made it exceedingly difficult to opt-out because they stand to lose money if they can't advertise their products & services to us. This is an abusive practice and while it may not be illegal, is shouldn't be tolerated. Don't be content to simply give up and stay opted-in -- or to opt-out and leave it at that, either. Follow through and file a complaint with your state's Better Business Bureau and Department of Consumer Affairs. It will only change if enough people make a stink about it.

Or better yet - switch service providers. Between the high bills, spotty service I get (in NYC, for god's sake!) and now this, I'll be taking my business elsewhere very soon.

Also, for you iPhone users, this will make changing carriers much easier:
Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-Community-Discussion/iPhone-Unlock-Information/m-p/3260825#U3260825

You're welcome. 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Fort those of you still struggling witht this mess...

After receiving the same error message i retried using my acct number and mailing zip..not billing zip and it went through just fine...

I agree that this idea of im opted in until I opt out is highly questionable...unfortunately it seems to be the trend..

Conveniently enough, most of these companies will take what they want when they want while signing you up or locking you into contracts for what often is subpar service on many levels...yet when you ask for anything in return, like respect, fairness or goodness forbid a discount for loyalty they all to often dont hear your voice until enough people petition, complain on these and other forums or outright sue to be heard...

That said good luck opting out..or in or whatever...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

THIS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS! DO YOU DO THIS  ON PURPOSE JUST TO  US OFF?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?? AFTER ALL THESE NOTIFICATIONS THAT YOUR LINKS ARE CIRCULAR AND DO NOT EFFECT THE PURPORTED ACTION, YOU KEEP SENDING OUT  EMAILS WITH THE SAME  LINKS???? REALLY??? 

{word filter evasions removed}

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Online form - DID NOT WORK

automated phone - DID NOT WORK

2nd phone #, which directed me to a 3rd phone # - DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY CELL PHONE #

Horrible, horrible customer service.

You win AT&T.  You are welcome to my CPNI for as long as I'm a customer.  Should be about another week.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

While reading through the posts here, what stikes me most is the number of new users and this is their first post.

I didn't bother to opt out. Let 'em call me once. I will say NO and do not call again. Call me again and they will get cussed out. Third time is harrasment, whether AT&T wants to admit it or not.

Do Not Call Registry is a joke and AT&T would be exempt anyway. 

Unfortunately, all the other carriers are doing basically the same thing. The time has come to write your congressman and have that STUPID loophole closed.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@jobidai wrote:

Online form - DID NOT WORK

automated phone - DID NOT WORK

2nd phone #, which directed me to a 3rd phone # - DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY CELL PHONE #

Horrible, horrible customer service.

You win AT&T.  You are welcome to my CPNI for as long as I'm a customer.  Should be about another week.

I'm sorry you're having trouble opting out. 

What happened when you tried the form?

If you'd like me to help, please send me a private message with your name, account number, zipcode, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Can you believe this email I got from AT&T?!? 

I haven’t been a customer of theirs in over a year.  When I called the number the email mentions, the customer service representative asked me, “You’re not really going to make me look for your CPNI number are you?”

He couldn’t find it and told me he would not be able to check if my information is being shared with 3rd party companies.  Here’s the kicker, he did know what my social security number is.

There is no AT&T number or email address where I can ask not to have my information shared.

Does anyone know who to contact or complain to?  Or perhaps if there are any other blogs where  I can post this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank You.

An important message about the privacy of your customer information (Customer Proprietary Network Information or CPNI)

Dear ,

Regarding Your Account:

The protection of our customers' privacy is of utmost importance to the employees and management of the AT&T family of companies (AT&T)*. Please take a moment to read the following important message about the privacy of your customer information.

AT&T companies that provide telecommunications and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service (which permits VoIP customers to both send and receive calls to/from customers with traditional telephone/telecommunications service) would like to share your customer proprietary network information within the AT&T family of companies for our own marketing purposes, including using that information to offer you additional products and services.

What is CPNI? Your CPNI includes the types of telecommunications and interconnected VoIP services you currently purchase, how you use them and the related billing for those services. CPNI does not include your telephone number, your name or your address. Protecting the confidentiality of your CPNI is your right and our duty under federal law. As an AT&T customer, you can restrict the use of your CPNI even within the AT&T family of companies.

To allow AT&T to use your CPNI, no further action is required. AT&T will not use your CPNI to offer you other products and services until at least 33 days after this notice was mailed to you. AT&T and our authorized agents will not sell, trade or share your CPNI with anyone other than those who are in the AT&T family of companies or are AT&T authorized agents, unless required by law.

If at any time you would prefer that AT&T not use your CPNI to offer you additional products and services, you may:

- Click here to submit your request electronically
- Call 1.800.315.8303 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and follow the prompts
- Call 1.800.288.2020 and speak to a service representative

Your decision to permit or restrict the use of CPNI will remain in effect until you decide to change it - which you can do at any time without charge. Restricting our use of your CPNI will not affect the provision of any AT&T products or services to which you currently subscribe, nor will it eliminate other types of marketing contacts.

Thank you for choosing AT&T. We appreciate your business.

*The AT&T family of companies are those AT&T companies that provide communications-related products and/or services, including the AT&T local and long distance companies, AT&T Corp., AT&T Long Distance, AT&T Internet Services, AT&T Mobility, and other subsidiaries or affiliates of AT&T Inc. that provide, design, market or sell these products and/or services.

Thank you,
AT&T Online Services

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

12 years ago

In addition to what drumn_bass said, I'd draw your attention to this line " What is CPNI? Your CPNI includes the types of telecommunications and interconnected VoIP services you currently purchase, how you use them and the related billing for those services"

If you don't have any service with AT&T, then you don't have any CPNI. Not to mention, it also states that CPNI is shared with AT&T companies, not 3rd parties.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@nateast wrote:

Can you believe this email I got from AT&T?!? 

I haven’t been a customer of theirs in over a year.  When I called the number the email mentions, the customer service representative asked me, “You’re not really going to make me look for your CPNI number are you?”

He couldn’t find it and told me he would not be able to check if my information is being shared with 3rd party companies.  Here’s the kicker, he did know what my social security number is.

There is no AT&T number or email address where I can ask not to have my information shared.

Does anyone know who to contact or complain to?  Or perhaps if there are any other blogs where  I can post this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank You.

I'm very sorry that you had a poor experience when you called in to opt out of CPNI. If you happen to recall the representative's name or ID, please let me know. 

The numbers provided in the email you received are the right ways to contact AT&T about opting out. You can also complete this online by using this website: https://www.att.com/ecpnioptout/InitiateCPNIForm.action#tip53 Note - you will need your account number to complete the online form. 

If you were not able to successfully opt out, I'd be happy to help. Just  send me a private message with your name, old account number, phone number and the best time to contact you. I'll have a member of my team contact you directly to help. 

Again - I apologize for the difficulty you had. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@drumn_bass wrote:

What's wrong with this line?

"CPNI does not include your telephone number, your name or your address. Protecting the confidentiality of your CPNI is your right and our duty under federal law. As an AT&T customer, you can restrict the use of your CPNI even within the AT&T family of companies."

It clearly states that no "personal information" is being shared. Plus you can opt out at any moment.

I would be more concerend over what is floating around on facebook, twitter, lnkedin and 3 dozen other "social" sites and where that is getting. companies are using those sites as searchs for pre-hire qualifications more then what is passed on with cpni

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.