For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ConflictedUser's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 21st, 2014 12:42 AM

2 Year Contract with Mobile Share Plan Pricing - After 2 Years

Hello I recently called AT&T have been receving many conflicting information regardining the 2 Year Contract agreement after the period is over.

If I have switched to the mobile share and wanted to sign up for a 2 Year agreement what is the price that I pay after the 2 Year Agreement is over. Is it still the 40$?

Or does it revert back to 25$ for less than 10 gb?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@ConflictedUser wrote:

Hello I recently called AT&T have been receving many conflicting information regardining the 2 Year Contract agreement after the period is over.

If I have switched to the mobile share and wanted to sign up for a 2 Year agreement what is the price that I pay after the 2 Year Agreement is over. Is it still the 40$?

Or does it revert back to 25$ for less than 10 gb?

The price increase is only for when you are under contract.  Once your contract obligation is met, if you haven't signed a new contract, you should see the price go back down.  Since teh Mobile Share plans have just gone into effect in the last 2-3 months, no one has been under one long enough to have met the terms of a contract, so we can't positively say that they will go down automatically or not.  If they don't you should just be able to make a simple call and getit resolved.

It's always wise to watch your bill and make sure that the charges are correct.  If you do that, you should see if the bill goes down automatically or not.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Alright, I've been busy calling all the represetntatives, and many say the samething as what you said. But there are like 1/3 of the representatives saying if you sign up for the 2 year agreement, it stays that way until I sign up for AT&T Next or bring in my own phone, whcih doesn't make sense to me. 

I don't know which way to go.
I know AT&T has been trying to push AT&T Next Plan, but the 2 year agreement works out to be a better deal in my case, since I don't upgrade often.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@ConflictedUser wrote:

Alright, I've been busy calling all the represetntatives, and many say the samething as what you said. But there are like 1/3 of the representatives saying if you sign up for the 2 year agreement, it stays that way until I sign up for AT&T Next or bring in my own phone, whcih doesn't make sense to me. 

I know AT&T has been trying to push AT&T Next Plan, but the 2 year agreement works out to be a better deal in my case, since I don't upgrade often.

I'm not sure how you feel that the 2 year agreement is a "better deal".

If you are working with an Apple iPhone (16GB), the contract price is $199 + $25/month for 24 months.  The off contract price is $650, with no monthly charges.  If you use AT&T NEXT, you still only pay teh $650 it's just spread across 18 or 26 months.  If I multiply $25x24 I get $600, so by getting the contract phone, you are paying $799 over 2 years for the phone, but to go with NEXT or outright purchase you are only paying $650, so you are saving $149 over those 2 years.  

With AT&T NEXT, you pay for the phone, and once it's paid for, they don't keep charging you a monthly installment for it, it's paid for and that charge stops.

Now if you go with some other phone, your initial phone cost might be lower, so you are potentially savign even more money over the 2 year period by not signing a contract.

Could you explain how signing a contract is "better" when it costs you $150 or more extra over the 2 year period?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

well for my scenario it works as a better alternative. Unless I have the 10 gb or more it isn't worth it.

since I would have a smartphone either way it would cost 25$ either way.
so if I did AT&T Next or Buy it Outright for an Iphone 5s. It would be 650$

If I did a 2 Year Plan It would be @200 Plus the extra $15 per month. (for $40 per month)

15x24=360 +200 =560

650-560=90$ difference. Sure there's an activation fee, but the difference is noticeable. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@ConflictedUser wrote:

I'm not sure how you feel that the 2 year agreement is a "better deal".

If you are working with an Apple iPhone (16GB), the contract price is $199 + $25/month for 24 months.  The off contract price is $650, with no monthly charges.  If you use AT&T NEXT, you still only pay teh $650 it's just spread across 18 or 26 months.  If I multiply $25x24 I get $600, so by getting the contract phone, you are paying $799 over 2 years for the phone, but to go with NEXT or outright purchase you are only paying $650, so you are saving $149 over those 2 years.  

With AT&T NEXT, you pay for the phone, and once it's paid for, they don't keep charging you a monthly installment for it, it's paid for and that charge stops.

Now if you go with some other phone, your initial phone cost might be lower, so you are potentially savign even more money over the 2 year period by not signing a contract.

Could you explain how signing a contract is "better" when it costs you $150 or more extra over the 2 year period?

Your numbers are accurate for someone on a 10GB or higher plan but this poster indicated they are on a less than 10GB plan so their price increase if on a contract is $15, not $25. In other words, they would be paying $15x24 or $360 over those 2 years. Add the $199 for the iPhone and $36 upgrade fee (no upgrade fee on Next) and the 2 year contract price is $595 as compared to $650 on Next. 

To the OP, your monthly cost will go back to $25 for your line once the contract is complete. For those reps that said you either had to switch to Next or "bring your own phone"', what they may not realize is that once your contract is complete, then you are bringing your own phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.