Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
bashdrew's profile

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, December 16th, 2014 3:54 PM

Tethering Notification Email from AT&T

Hello, this is my first post here and I appreciate anyone who can share their knowledge about tethering.  Yesterday, I received an email from AT&T that they will remove my unlimited plan if I don't stop tethering through my phone.  I haven't been using my wifi hotspot and didn't install any tethering apps.  So I called them this morning and ask why suddenly, they sent me a notification like that.  While on the phone it occurred to me that they must be looking at my Moto 360 as a tethered device, so I ask the lady on the phone if that's true.  She confirmed that AT&T does and I have to change to a plan that supports tethering to be able to use my Android Wear smartwatch.  Does anybody here have the same experience?  Thank you.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

9 years ago

I have been falsely accused of tethering. It was less than a year ago, and I have posted complaints here multiple times. At one point AT&T "management" said they would investigate and get back to me, and admittedly they did leave me one message saying they were still working on it, but they never got an answer.

I know what tethering is. It is not possible for it to happen by accident. I have never used tethering or anything that could be called tethering. I do not own a car.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

9 years ago

The definition of tethering is so loosely defined as to give carriers room to call any sharing of your phones mobile data, tethering. Not restricted to just using a mobile hot spot or tethering.
Both bluetooth to car speakers and
Direct cabling to a television to play movies on the big screen have been called tethering.

Until there is a clear cut rule as to what is tethering, those with grandfathered data will feel like deer in the cross hairs.

When questioned, best to ask "what is tethering?"

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello everyone,

It's not about what kind of a device you're using or how it connects to your phone, but rather about what apps and functions are being used. With variety of apps available on Moto 360, most use data, and since data is being accessed through the phone, it's tethering.

Tethering is sharing phone's data connection with any other data capable device, and in those cases an appropriate plan is required.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM 

im sorry no smartwatch is using data.  The app on the phone is using data.  The watch is dead without the android wear app which by the way shows all the data usage on my nexus 6.  For me its no worry but for people on unlimited data it is.

If this is the case ATT needs to put a disclosure on all smartwatchs that you need the tethering feature on your account.  There is nothing on the place cards at the store or on ATT.com

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

9 years ago

Sounds booooogus to me. Android Wear usage is "tethering"? What about Gear S usage?

Honestly this is a fail on AT&T if a watch using bluetooth for notifications is considered tethering.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @johninsj 

What I'm posting is my interpretation based on available information and TOS. Using bluetooth for notifications should not be considered tethering, but receiving data, like news or social media updates for example, seems to fit a description of tethering (receiving data on another device using phone's data connection).

Samsung Gear S is compatible with Mobile Share plans only, so tethering is not an issue there.

I've forwarded all feedback gathered here to the right people, and this information will be reviewed and updated if needed on the web site and in TOS.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM 

those social media updates are notifications on the phone.  Not the watch itsself.  This is one of those new areas att has been slow to adapt to.  These policies should have been in place since the pebble was sold in stores.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

9 years ago

I think Dimitry's point is, at least the one smart watch is a device that can only be activated on a mobile share plan, not a grandfathered, unlimited data plan. Specifically because tethering isn't permitted.

Is this policy for all smart watches?

The question is, when is a smart watch is sharing internet connection and using data through the phone?
Until that question is cleared up, I would think smart watches and unlimited data plans will not be permitted together, because it is a form of tethering.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@lizdance40 

the gear s has a sim card slot and cellular radios that is why it needs added to a share plan.  its just like a tablet really a 10 a month addon

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This policy is ludacris. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone but with the statement given of the interpritation, downloading pictures and transfering it to your computer would be just the same as streaming pandora audio to your car speakers. Recieving data to your phone and then your phone relaying it to another device is not tethering your internet, even if an App on your phone is relaying the message for you.. Is DropBox tethering my photos to their servers? no... This is obviously not tethering. If it was then anyone with an unlimited plan could never transfer ANYTHING from their phones to ANYTHING else.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.