Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
lgskaggs's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, April 28th, 2014 2:59 AM

Why is DirecTv's HD better than AT&T?

I just had AT&T Uverse installed, and left DirecTv and there is a very big difference in the picture quality. What is the reason for this? If this is a technology issue, is there something being done to resolve this? 

And yes, I have everything setup correctly, and I am using the exact same TV's and picture settings as I did earlier with DirecTv. 

Employee

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Good afternoon everyone! Yes all of you have valid points. You all have done great research. Yes our system is over a twisted pair line and as stated our distance to you may vary, but ALL of our RG's will allocate a certain bandwidth to your STB no matter what you will have dedicated bandwidth. As someone else stated it can vary on picture size, TV set, even the broadcast channel itself. To let you know, all our boxes come set standard to 720p. This can be changed to 1080p by entering the settings and navigate to the right where you will see picture settings.

Information you all can look up to help you is the compression rates between different cable providers to gain better knowledge in this area. Thanks guys, have a great day.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

@CR013Y wrote:
Good afternoon everyone! Yes all of you have valid points. You all have done great research. Yes our system is over a twisted pair line and as stated our distance to you may vary, but ALL of our RG's will allocate a certain bandwidth to your STB no matter what you will have dedicated bandwidth. As someone else stated it can vary on picture size, TV set, even the broadcast channel itself. To let you know, all our boxes come set standard to 720p. This can be changed to 1080p by entering the settings and navigate to the right where you will see picture settings.

Information you all can look up to help you is the compression rates between different cable providers to gain better knowledge in this area. Thanks guys, have a great day.

Thanks for the info.  I have Uverse using the Cisco ISB7500 STB and it only offers 1080i.  Is there a newer STB that I should request?  Also, can you provide a link that includes the compression information that you noted above?  I am in Naperville, IL and am trying to decide between Uverse or switching to Direct TV.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

8 years ago

I believe that the previous poster misspoke and that it outputs at 1080i.  As will most HD content on most services, including DIRECTV and DISH.  There are exceptions.  U-verse averages just under 6 Mbps per second per HD channel, regardless of whether it is 720p or 1080i.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This uverse crap sucks. Nothing loads freezes, doesn't record. Streaming is terrible, have to reset and on and off trying to compensate and maniputate to watch anything on a daily basis. Upgraded my internet speed and seems slower than it was before upgrade. Had several techs and no matter what more of the same. Had direct tv for several years. Only had issues during weather conditions. Lived out in the boonies and all still worked. This att crap once I switch I will never come back worse service ever and paying 200 a month no thank you.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@chris38   On all Uverse RGs, IPv6 causes disconnects, rebooting and browsing problems (Internet).

Disable IPv6 in all Uverse RGs  info here:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Equipment/Slow-connection-using-Google-Facebook-and-certain-sites-after/m-p/3860323#M382

If a 2wire/Pace/Arris RG (3800, 3801, 5031, 5268) click the Go here link at top the orange globe.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I recently changed back to direct tv from att uverse because I was asked about what I was paying at my att store and I was paying more for att that direct. The quality is way better and I was told by the att rep that the plan is to try to get everyone off of uverse and to only offer direct tv

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I want to get DirecTV but the price is a bit high. Have u450 w/power internet (45) and pay 149 tax included (2tvs). Going to be moving and can only get max internet (24) at the new place. But the cost for comparable DirecTV with the max internet is 169 before taxes. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.