For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Agreed, this is a niche channel and should not be forced on everyone. Notice how there is exactly one person defending this network, and his username is texasguy. Every UT grad I know has no interest in watching UT track, tennis, golf, etc...why would the rest of the state (and outlying areas) be interested?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@jdop09 wrote:

Agreed, this is a niche channel and should not be forced on everyone. Notice how there is exactly one person defending this network, and his username is texasguy. Every UT grad I know has no interest in watching UT track, tennis, golf, etc...why would the rest of the state (and outlying areas) be interested?

I'm defending nothing.  I am providing facts as opposed to propaganda that has no basis in fact.

Also, perhaps you have not learned to not tune to channels in your TV package that you have no interest in watching, or do you watch all the channels in the package that you currently receive?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

I hadnt heard of it until now, I appreciate the information, but do you also know how much are the school is getting paid, and how much the subscribers have to pay for it? I would bet that it is nowhere near the $.40 price tag the LHN is asking.

The problem is not having a network by itself, it's the cost to the subscriber, and the operating costs associated with it. Due to the ESPN contract with UT for $15M / year, the costs are too high for it to be sustainable with only one football game and the coverage of only one school available for content.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

I have no idea of the price per subscriber paid by TV providers for BYU TV or what the price would be for either the Notre Dame Network or the Oklahoma Sooners Network.

Also, in 2012 the Pac 12 Conference will be launching a national network and six regional networks.  I would expect another campaign to be launched by those opposed adding those channels since they have no interest in the Pac 12 Conference; therefore, no one should have access to those channels.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

So I was searching the BYU Tv site and it is all available for free...see for yourself at http://byutv.org/

It appears that the content is provided for free and they likely only have to cover their production costs with any advertising money that they recieve...therefore there is no way they are clearing the millions of dollars that the LHN is trying to make. Again, the problem is not having a network, its the exhorbitant costs that ESPN is now trying to recover to make it a viable business venture.

Passing the costs on to subscribers who do not demand it is the only way it can be done, and the only way for those of us who dont want to pay for it can speak up is to voice our opinions in forums such as this.

I am sure they will find a way for it to stay alive, but it doesnt seem that it will be a profitable endeavour for ESPN or UT at this point, not without gaining rights to more than one football game or if the NCAA allows the airing of high school games, which seems unlikely at this point.

FYI, you can watch the BYU upset of OU streaming online...

http://byutv.org/watch/19515364-3e5f-4283-8db1-ebf6a75cd2c1

Scholar

• 

282 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

@okghal wrote:

Conspiracy, campaign, whatever you want to call it, it makes no sense financially, which is why no other school has attempted to do this. The LHN will fail because the cable providers wont be able to sell the product - at least not at the rate required for ESPN to profit enough to pay UT. 

Have you ever hear of Brigham Young University Television (BYU TV)?

to say the least, this isnt a good analogy at all.

b/c for one, BYU TV's mandate reaches far beyond just sports or the university in general for that matter.

and secondly,  how much is att paying in subscriber fees to provide BYU tv to uverse customers?  its very few pennies, if anything at all. BYU TV isnt about maximizing their sub fees, they make it available for free OTA, cband, ku band, and on the net

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@CTEL08 wrote:

b/c for one, BYU TV's mandate reaches far beyond just sports or the university in general for that matter.

and secondly,  how much is att paying in subscriber fees to provide BYU tv to uverse customers?  its very few pennies, if anything at all. BYU TV isnt about maximizing their sub fees, they make it available for free OTA, cband, ku band, and on the net

So you also opposed the Longhorn Network being added by any TV provider?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@okghal wrote:

Passing the costs on to subscribers who do not demand it is the only way it can be done, and the only way for those of us who dont want to pay for it can speak up is to voice our opinions in forums such as this.

Interesting.  I have been a customer for over 2 years.  During that time, quite a few new channels have been added to the U-verse lineup.  Some with higher carriage fees that others.  Some of channels I have been interested in and watch on a regular basis while other channels I never watch.  Yet I "subsidize" those channels that I never watch and have no interest in.

Do you opposed all new channel that are added to U-verse or just the ones that you have no interest in?

Scholar

• 

282 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

@CTEL08 wrote:

youre the one who said youre hear to post facts, if you want to ask questions, ask yourself why youre reaching for bogus "facts". 

there seems to be some uverse customers who are new , i'd rather here their opinions on the subject, unless you finally so have one.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@CTEL08 wrote:

youre the one who said youre hear to post facts, if you want to ask questions, ask yourself why youre reaching for bogus "facts". 

there seems to be some uverse customers who are new , i'd rather here their opinions on the subject, unless you finally so have one.

Wow!  Didn't respond to my question.

By the way, what are the "bogus" facts?  That BYU has it own TV network or that both Notre Dame and Oklahoma are also looking to start there own networks?  Could the bogus fact be the the Pac-12 conference will be starting 7 new networks next year?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.