Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Papolytic's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Saturday, May 16th, 2015 1:07 PM

About "look-ahead" on the VIP2250 DVR

For years I had a MOT. VIP 1225 and it worked slow but well until it started blacking out recently. It was replaced by a quicker and higher capacity VIP 2250. Here's the desciption of the "problem" if it is a problem at all:

Something I liked about the 1225 (not to mention every other DVR I ever worked on as an engineer) was the "lookahead" feature that allowed you while fast-forwarding through a commercial to see frames ahead of where it would go when you hit stop or play. This let you get to the video without endless rewinds, fast-forwards, etc. 

Something I dislike about the 2250 is that almost the opposite is true. It never allows "lookahead" and is always in a lousy place after fast-forward, usually about a minute past the commercial. Rewind is similarly stupid putting you into the commercial requring more fast-forwarding. 

Is that by intent (so are they all alike) or is there any recourse for that situation or am I stuck with it? It didn't cost me anything and I suspect I could get ATT to give me some other model, but is there another model that has that "feature" (well, I call it a great feature, but mayber that wasn't by intent either). 

Thanks - Mick

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks. When I get a moment, I'll try the DVR various recoveries as needed. I suspect something like that might be the culprit since I can't imagine a hardware problem that would let everything else be perfect but just screw up this one thing. It seems like it has to be glitched software.

I'll check back after I try that.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

OK: I've had no success with the non-destructive recovery. 

Where is a link to the Force Disaster Recovery?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Papolytic wrote:

OK: I've had no success with the non-destructive recovery. 

Where is a link to the Force Disaster Recovery?

• Hold down the Down arrow key + OK key + Power key at the same time to power down the DVR.
  • Continue pressing these keys until a gear appears on the screen and release the Down + OK keys.
  • If the gear on the TV screen appears, wait until completion.
  • If the gear on the TV screen does not appear, repeat the disaster recovery process.
  • If the previous steps have been exhausted and the TV receiver continues to malfunction please send a private message with your account number and contact details to ATTU-verseCare for further assistance. If you are not a member of the U-verse community forums, we welcome you to register and reach out to us.

It will erase any recordings as it reformats the hard drive and re-downloads all the software, will take some time to complete. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, Chris,

I'll give that one a try in the morning. 

Mick

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

Well, the verdict by me after blowing away everything via the procedure posted above is that the box is somehow defective. May as well get another one since I basically reformatted last night. Thanks. I'll mark this as solved when and if the new box solves it. 

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

Chris, 

Thanks for your help. (and anyone that posted a reply). Before tossing my recordings away yet again and getting a service tech to replace my 2250, I decided to do the 3-time recovery start yet one more time. I had no hope it would work, but for some reason it has "come to it's senses" after the procedure. 

Many thanks. There is a slight difference but it's nothing to speak of and it can probably be acounted by the relative speediness of the 2250 vs. my old 1225. When I'm in FF with 3 * FF, then hitting "play", or "OK" gets me right after the commercial (so ~7-10 seconds?). It used to be true on the slower box that I could also get to the exact spot I wanted during 4*FF which is really quite fast. On tghe 2250 that is now "Fixed", I think it's still about 7-10 seconds back, which is fine. That's close enough and I can now second guess when to hit that play button while in FF * 4, which is much more than I could do before that last "recovery". 

Cheers -- Mick

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for posting your results. Glad to hear it is "working". If it is going too far back, try stopping it with the jump ahead button.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.