For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
k2mp12345's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 21st, 2014 12:53 AM

Closed

Signed a 1-year contract and then AT&T raised price

I was going to cancel my service in December last year, but when I called to cancel, AT&T offered U200 for a certain rate for 12 months in exchange for me signing a contract for one-year.  So I agreed to keep AT&T U-Verse for 1 year and pay that set price.

Subsequent to our agreement, AT&T raised the bill by ~$4 in February (yes, the notification was in the December bill but that bill was generated after I entered into the one-year contract).

I had an online chat with customer care and I was told that it is AT&T's policy to apply the rate increase even to customers who are under a contract.  I sent a private message this past weekend but I have yet to hear back.

It is absurd that AT&T thinks this is okay:

1) If I cancel the service before December this year, I have to pay a penalty.

2) Yet AT&T can raise the rate at any time without my consent.

3) If I don't like the rate increase, I can cancel the service but I still have to pay the penalty.

Is anyone else having this same issue (i.e., those who have to pay a penalty if they were to cancel within the contract period, similar to how cell phone contracts work)?  Please share your experience here.  Thanks.

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

7 years ago

I have this same issue. Incredible.

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

7 years ago

I was able to get $7 off every month from now on over online chat.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I to was sold a contract for 3 years and told that would be my price for 3 years. from 113.00 and now to $185.00. I called in but I am stuck. this is unfair to those of us on low SS. I now have only 75.00 left to buy food, gas,and hope I do not need medicine or dental, and having my flat fixed this month was impossible. How would those who make no allowance for low income feel if they had to live on even less. How about a diet of Dollar Tree crackers.

Ann B of Louisiana

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Yes it should. When you make entry into a contract,and are told you will be getting X service, for X price, then they immediately change it, that is bait and switch,and also FALSE advertisement. They give you a price, which you are agreed on, then change it. AT&T is a master if manipulation. They do this in other areas also,especially wireless. Unless they say it's only for X amount of time, or tell you upfront about changes coming in price, then it is illegal.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I agree with you . I had to call ATT a few weeks ago because in my area they were in a dispute with the CBS carrier in my area so we no longer were getting CBS.  I went online and purchased  CBS all access so I could see my shows. I called ATT and they did give me a $10 credit since I told them that's what I paid CBS . Friday I received an email about an order they said I made (I was out of town so didn't contact them) and saw my rates were $9 higher. I called them and they said everything was the same and I had a rate increase. I told them the same thing I signed a 1 year agreement and was quoted a certain price. They said there was a increase I said wait a minute I am under contract and cant leave without penalty and you can raise my rates . They said yes. The only good thing is my contract is up end of May and probably will just cut the cord or call another company. I have been with ATT about 15 years . If you want to lose a customer this is a good way to do it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I had this same problem with a 2 year contract. After one year, they raise mine $18.00 a month if I didn't call each month! After 6 months I filed FCC report and they shutoff phone

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I am now having the same problem with rate hikes twice in the last few months despite my 1-year contract. It is unethical and greedy for ATT or any company to increase internet rates for customers under contract and yet charge a fee to customers who cancel before the contract ends! I would put in a complaint to BBB and PUC and even Channel 2 News! I am a low income person who only qualifies for discount on phone service, but internet service is not yet considered a phone service if using a uverse type system. Time to look for another provider!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

AT&T TV - $108

200 channels ($88)
HD Fee ($10)
Box fee ($10)

AT&T Internet - $57.00
Internet 18 unlimited with bundle but throttle after 1024 Plan GB

Total: $163.72 plus account service fee, tax and local fees

Also Includes: Annual aggravation in long calls regarding price and negotiating lower # of channels to try and keep within price range until after (4) years when they refuse to offer discount at all. Prorated $350 termination per service. Also note their discount may stay the same during your contract, but the actual rates may increase because your contract is for the DISCOUNT amount, not the price they are charging (ie: Gas card for .03 cents off regardless of the actual gas price).

versus:

Charter TV - $63.96
Spectrum Select ($39.99)
(2) DVR/HD Boxes (13.98)
DVR Service $(9.99)

Charter Internet - $44.99

100 mbps ($39.99)
Charter Wi-Fi for multiple devices ($5.00)

Total: $108.95 plus tax and local fees

Includes: 2 year pricing of 39.99 per service, no contract, free internet modem, no data caps, install fee waived (saving $49) and install date the same day as sign up for the order.

It's a no brainer, right?! Even with the "discounts" from AT&T we are paying less with Charter. Never again will I recommend U-verse or AT&T to friends, family or colleagues.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the service company info. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment complex that only allow tenants to use one specific cable company. Currently, I use a ethernet modem, or I can use DSL. ATT bought out all of their competition for the complex I live in. I intend to notify PUC and FCC about the apartment practice of forcing renters to use a particular company. I understand that the property owner is being paid something in return for the apartment customers.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I understand that forcing tenants to use a service company is illegal, yet many apartment properties are still doing this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.