Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
THREEYOUNG3's profile

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

Friday, December 4th, 2015 8:47 PM

Fees and Surcharges

It is funny how you can be charged fees and surcharges on agreements after the fact. It is underhanded and shady to charge these when you are given an "all-inclusive price". I specifically asked about "fees and charges" and was told that there would be tax but my all-inclusive price was all-inclusive. It is not, they lock you into a contract and charge "backdoor fees". These need to be clearly stated in advance. They amount to a 7 percent increase in billing. There is a broadcast tv surcharge, an IN local service franchise fee, and a regulatory video cost recovery charge. These total $18.49 on my first bill. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

8 years ago

Bottom line:  add $15 to $20 for fees and taxes.

There.

If you have a problem with taxes, talk to your elected officials (county rep/state rep/Congressman)

If you have a problem with a fee, contact your state utility commission.

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

There are other internet and phone companies that have figured out how to charge a flat rate with no hidden fees or taxes.  I don't think these people are being unreasonable in wanting AT&T to do the same.  It is obviously, not impossible.  Anymore most things that cannot be explained make me suspicious of being ripped off.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I agree with threeyoung3 on one part of the fees.

While I disagree about having to pay the taxes and fees which are charged to AT&T not the customer but law allows AT&T to pass them on to the customer, a surcharge on the other hand really is a price increase on the service you paid for such as TV U200.  A surcharge is not a tax.  AT&T admits it is a fee to recover the fees local Broadcasters charge them for broadcasting their TV Stations.  Therefore this price should have been in the for instance TV U200 service fee.  This in effect is not honoring AT&T's agreement to charge you a specified amount for your TV Service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have a promotional 24 month agreement with ATT U-verse, package U300, which states, high speed internet Max Turbo, Voice unlimited North America, 3 HD TV's. My bill was supposed to be $124.99/mo. plus taxes and broadcast TV surcharges of $4.99.

I have been bill regulary by ATT approx. $207 per month. I am sooo tired of calling ATT every month to get this corrected. I am waisting not only my time plus the time of a ATT employee. I have a photo of the chat, I do have proof.

What can I doto resolve this for good? PLEASE help ... thank you.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

It's clear that you ask "specific" questions and you are given either incorrect or misleading answers. This happens enough with ATT that it has to be intentional of their part.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have a one year contract with AT&T U-Verse which ends in May. You'd better believe I am going to discontinue using AT&T once that contract ends. It is probably one of the worst companies for bamboozling customers and misrepresenting services and fees with which I've ever dealt. Getting a straight answer is relatively impossible. Just waiting to speak to someone in customer service means you have a long wait. Then, you have to figure out what the REAL costs are going to be. I have had AT&T U-Verse since November 2008. I hate to think how many total hours I have spent on the telephone or on live chat with their representatives. I have far better things to do with my time than be jerked around by AT&T.

I'm planning to relocate to another city. If I find that AT&T is the only telecommunications company available where I live I will buy any antenna, converter, modem or whatever is required to get TV service without AT&T making my life miserable ever again. Then, I will do some price comparison shopping to see what kind of deal for internet would be best for me. That will, of course, result in yet another telecommunication company getting their pound of flesh.

At this point, the U.S. Congress has seen fit to sell our privacy to these companies so they can bombard us with specialized advertising. Rather than eliminating regulations, wouldn't it be novel if our elected representatives would do what is best for citizens rather than for corporations with deep pockets to pay for high-priced lobbyists?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Threeyoung3 is right !  The rest of you clowns must work for the cable company.  These are NOT taxes. They are 'hidden' fees

collected on the name of ...  Broadcast TV Surcharge may be what the cable company agreed to pay. Not the consumer. They

are inflating the bill by same. Regulatory video cost recovery is $.09 on my current bill. I seriously doubt any monies leave AT&T

from the collection of this amount.  My current Gov't tax and fees are $5.32. My total surcharge and "other fees" $5.69.  What a great

rip off by AT&T.  So I think I'll dig deeper.  It may be class actionable ...........

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

7 years ago

@sueemall  I'm not a clown. I do not work for AT&T but I do know how to use Google:

https://www.corp.att.com/ebcc/tours/understand_bill_surcharges_taxes_glossary.pdf

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

ATT is now charging surcharges as other fees in addition to all taxes 911 and government fees yes an added charge listed as other no explanation of what it is for all additional charges for gov fees accounted for. Looks like a way to simply raise your bill

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

You mean to tell me people don't read the 19 page terms of service agreement? Solution =" * + tax and required fees"

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.