Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
ATTMobilityCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2015 4:07 PM

Software Update Installation Interrupted on Select Samsung Android 5.0 Devices

Summary

AT&T has received reports of some customers experiencing software update installation interruptions/failures when attempting to upgrade to Android 5.1 on select Samsung devices.  The device is still usable but the latest software update cannot be installed.

The following devices are affected:

• Galaxy Note 4 (N910A)
  • Galaxy S 5 (G900A)
  • Galaxy S6 active (SM-G890A)
  • Galaxy S 5 Mini (SM-G800A)

Resolution

The issue may be related to available storage memory on the device.   If clearing space does not resolve the issue, the device can be updated to the latest version of software at an AT&T DSC or Best Buy Samsung location.

To resolve the issue:

1. Clear Cached Data
  • Tap Settings > Storage > Cached data > Clear Cached data
  • Try downloading the software update again
  1. Create at least 4 to 7 GB of free storage space
    • Tap Settings > System Tab > Storage > Available Space to check current storage usage
    • Delete Unnecessary files (such as Pictures/Video/Music Files) or take advantage of the AT&T Locker to upload your photos and videos to the cloud.
    • Note: For information on backing up your device, visit com/devicehowto and look for “Backup & Restore” in the topic list
  1. Visit an AT&T Device Support Center or Best Buy location for help updating to the latest software

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I just freed up over 6 gig and it still failed. Trying one last time with SD card pulled 😕

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

Clean your cache to

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@deiviejr wrote:

I just freed up over 6 gig and it still failed. Trying one last time with SD card pulled 😕

You may need to clear out a bit more free space. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

I have come to the conclusion that it really does not matter whether the SD card is installed or not. I have tried to install a total of 9 times with and without SD card installed with no success. I have also tried to clear several apps to make more room. No success. The bottom line is that AT&T released a software that was not ready for prime time. I have never seen in my life a situation where it takes more that 6 GB free space to install a 609 MB software update.
I think the only way to install this software is to do a complete master reset of the phone.
One other thing that shocked me when I talked with a customer care agent is that she said that AT&T was not aware of any problems with installation of the update. Don't they have someone monitoring the forum?
Gadgetcrazy

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

Absolutely right. The process should not let the download proceed if there is not sufficient memory to install the update.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

It took me 4 trys. I cleared 6g of space, unmounted sd card and cleared cache and it finally worked

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

Both cache and cache partition. Cache partition can be accessed by holding in this order up, home button, and power and once the list comes up let go

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I tried at 3GB of free space, then 4, then 5, then 6, I finally cleared 7.4GB, wiped the cache and the cache partition, still failed. Removed the SD card, still failed. The only way I could clear more space would be by removing the bloatware, but if I knew how to do that, I would have done it a long time ago (it still stuns me that carriers think we are wrong to want to remove it). It will take me days to reinstall everything I removed. I am done with this upgrade. I guess I won't be getting Marshmallow either. Above-board S5 purchased full price from AT&T.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@Thraz123 wrote:

I tried at 3GB of free space, then 4, then 5, then 6, I finally cleared 7.4GB, wiped the cache and the cache partition, still failed. Removed the SD card, still failed. The only way I could clear more space would be by removing the bloatware, but if I knew how to do that, I would have done it a long time ago (it still stuns me that carriers think we are wrong to want to remove it). It will take me days to reinstall everything I removed. I am done with this upgrade. I guess I won't be getting Marshmallow either. Above-board S5 purchased full price from AT&T.

Is your phone connected to the AT&T network? 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

It is. Calls, data, texts, all are OK. AT&T SIM card.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.