For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
syntax's profile

1 Message

Friday, January 26th, 2024 5:07 PM

Closed

Persistent Connectivity Issues with Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Post-FOTA Update, Seeking Effective Resolution.

ATT Community,

I am reaching out in hope of finding a resolution to a persistent and frustrating issue that began approximately six months ago, following a FOTA update on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (SM-908U). Despite numerous attempts to resolve the issue through standard troubleshooting and multiple interactions with AT&T support, the problem persists, severely impacting the usability of my device and negating the value of the services for which I am paying.

The Main Issue:
After the mentioned update, my S22 Ultra has experienced major difficulties in registering on the AT&T network. The phone fluctuates between displaying full 5G signals (yet not registering on the network), showing full signal bars without any band indicator, switching to 4G with full signal bars, or sometimes displaying no signal at all (indicated by an 'x' on the signal status). Occasionally (about 1 in 50 attempts), the phone will register on the AT&T network after a restart with speeds upwards of 800Mbps, but the connection is lost again within minutes.

Steps Taken for Resolution:
I have rigorously followed all standard troubleshooting steps, including but not limited to
- Pushed connection refresh from at&t account dashboard untold number of times.
- Network Coverage Check: Ensured presence in AT&T coverage area.
- Airplane Mode Toggle: Attempted resetting network connections.
- Device Restart: Performed multiple times.
- SIM Card Inspection: Checked for proper insertion and functionality.
- Network Mode Settings: Verified correct setting (e.g., 5G, 4G LTE).
- Device Software Update: Confirmed the latest firmware is installed.
- Network Settings Reset: Returned network settings to default.
- APN Settings Verification: Checked and updated as per AT&T specifications.
- Data Limit Check: No set data limits or restrictions present.
- Safe Mode Testing: Checked for issues caused by third-party apps.
- Maintenance Mode Testing: Similiar to Safe Mode, tested phone without any 3rd party apps running with default settings.
- Outage Verification: No known network outages in my area.
- Account Status: Account is active and in good standing.
- Physical Device Inspection: Perfect condition.
- Went to AT&T store to obtain new sim card, 4 times in total on 4 seperate occasions. The 3rd time I tried an esim instead of physical sim replacement hoping for a different result. On my last trip to the at&t store I converted back to a physical sim from an esim with the same behavior still observed.
- Performed factory restore.

Despite these repeated efforts, the issue remains unresolved. Each time I reached out to AT&T support (a total of five separate occasions), I was advised to repeat the same steps and ultimately directed to visit an AT&T store. The final advice from the AT&T store representative was that my S22 Ultra, which is still under contract, he said that while my phone is in perfect mint condition, it is now "unsupported" on the AT&T network due to the high frequency of customers coming into the store with the same device experiencing the same exact issue. They suggested that the only solution is to pay off the remaining $500 on my current device to purchase a new "supported" phone.

This situation has placed me in an unfair and financially burdensome position. I am currently obliged to pay for a service that is not being effectively delivered and for a device that, according to AT&T's own representatives, is no longer supported on their network. This not only represents a poor return on investment but also potentially violates SLA agreements, especially considering the inability to reliably access essential services like dialing 911 half of the time.

Moreover, to maintain basic connectivity, I am inconvenienced with the requirement of carrying an AT&T M9 Nighthawk hotspot for calls over wifi, which, ironically, experiences no such connectivity issues in the same locations.

Furthermore, the connectivity problems with my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra are severely impacting my role as the sole network administrator for a network of 40 healthcare clinics spread throughout my state. This situation hinders my ability to respond promptly to emergencies, which is critical in settings where network reliability can directly affect patient care and safety. The unreliability of my device undermines my professional responsibilities, accountability, and the trust placed in me by my organization. It also poses potential compliance risks and prevents reliable access to emergency services like 911. The added stress and disruption to my work-life balance further exacerbate the problem.

I am turning to this forum in hope of finding a viable solution to this problem. The financial and time investment in this device and service, only to be met with such a significant and unresolved issue, is both unfair and unacceptable. I am open to suggestions, advice, and any assistance that can be provided by the AT&T community or representatives.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my experience. Any guidance towards resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

3 months ago

I honestly didn't read any more than the first couple of sentences. Based on other complaints posted about the S22, specifically the ultra, and the problem being related to the updates...

This is the solution that a previous user discovered. Cost him all of 40 bucks. Find yourself a phone repair store and have them diagnose and see if they can fix the problem.   Reporting back what was discovered and how much it cost to fix.

Then you can all gang up on AT&T and Samsung over it.

https://forums.att.com/conversations/samsung/s22-ultra-512gb-no-network/64d62099015a7d5b3463edeb

1 Message

2 months ago

Antenna cable from motherboard to usb charging port.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

30 days ago

I have these issues and more!! All beginning at the end of last year. November update!?!? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

30 days ago

@Cat-Sailor 

It's Samsung cheap hardware choices on that model.  

Get Samsung to repair it, hopefully for only the cost of shipping

1 Message

13 days ago

Hey All,

I had recently had the same issue with connectivity with my S22 Ultra. The issue began for me about 2 weeks ago. Service was very spotty and getting errors saying not registered to the network even though the phone showed signal. The only time it would somewhat work is if I were in a larger city. I travel all over Mississippi for my employer and rely heavily on my cell service. The only saving grace for me was that I have a company issued Hotspot that I could connect to and enable WiFi calling. Obviously, this is a very frustrating issue. I first contacted Att support and they re-registered me to the network. This seemed to work for a bit, but went right back to having problems. I then went to an ATT store and had them swap the SIM. This did not fix the issue either. Now, I believe  I stumbled upon a 'fix' by mistake when I experienced another awful issue. My phone had went to 0% which I never let happen. I went to charge the phone and it would not move past the gray circle screen. Again, I need my phone for work so this was a problem. I looked everywhere online and found some troubleshooting steps to get the phone charged and discovered the Android Service Screen. This is the equivalent to the developer screens used to program device/computers. I basically entered the "BIOS" and triggered an update. Here is what I did:

1. Turn off the phone.

2. Connect the phone to a laptop using a USB cable.

2. Hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power button down for about 15 seconds (cant recall exact). You should then see a teal colored Service screen pop up which will show both English and Japanese. 

3. You will see some options. Hit the power button which will be labeled barcode.

4. This will take you see the phone info. Hit the power button again. 

5. This will take you to another screen which will say installing update and to not unplug the phone. 

6. Sit and wait. This will take a little bit. Watch for the screen to go black and it should go back to the charging screen. 

7. Power up phone. 

I had additional trouble that I fought to get it charged and was successful doing so. Once the phone powered up and got all set back up my service seemed to have went back to normal. I was driving today for hours through country areas and never had an issue. Also, voice clarity improved and speed improved. This update that happened was not showing in the settings in the phone. This was a hidden update, but seems to have resolved my issue. I like my phone and am paying a lot for it to not get my money out of it. Sorry about the long post. I hope this helps everyone. 

(edited)

4 Messages

7 days ago

This is the same problem I have been having but only AT&T has made several different excuses even having me reset to factory settings.  I have called them at least 15 times and still have the issue.  The only resolution is to purchase a new phone is what I was told last week.  I will not purchase a new phone from AT&T.  I am changing my carrier and will keep my phone because there is nothing wrong with the phone itself.  Mine is in mint condition as well.  I thing AT&T should replace our phones free of charge beings this is their issue that is causing many unhappy customers.  I traded my S8 on the and have had nothing but problems since day 1.  By next week I will no longer be an AT&T customer.  Their customer support is horrible and they can care less about what their customers are going through.  I have been with AT&T for many years and now I am going to Verizon 

4 Messages

7 days ago

The only resolution is change carriers.  I have been having this problem since a week after I purchased the phone and have called at&T at least 15 times.  Even had to reset to factory settings and start all over and still the problem exists.  About a week ago I called them and they said it is the phone.  It isn't working with AT&T service and I would need to upgrade my phone and of course that means more money.  I still owed 244.24 on my phone.  I think AT&T should have swapped the phones out beings this was no fault of ours but no they just want more money out of you and to take a chance and have their service to the same thing.  No thank you.  I have been with AT&T for many years and this is the absolute last time I will be dealing with them.  I am going to a different carrier.  They are absolutely useless with solving any issues unless you want to spend more money and pay off the phone early so you can upgrade.  It really (Edited per community guidelines) because I have been a customer for so long but time to say Bye Bye

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 days ago

@linda3061 

You're blaming the wrong business.  AT&T is your service provider. It does not matter where you bought the phone, it is not AT&T's product.

It is Samsung's cheap hardware on the North American model of the S22 ultra.  You'll find complaints across all carriers and even on Samsung's own forum

This is entirely a Samsung problem. AT&T is not responsible for out of warranty repairs. 

The S22 ultra issue was *not* limited to AT&T. There are identical reports throughout all North American models on all service providers.  

AT&T has contractual limits on warranty replacement it can provide. Absolutely no warranty on Apple devices of any kind. And limited one year warranty on manufacturer defects for some Android phones.

Unfortunately Samsung built these little time bombs and most of them didn't go off until after the warranty expired. 

It is not AT&T's responsibility to "swap out the phones" out of warranty .

Samsung created this problem and some people have been able to get Samsung to do the repairs for free, only required a little nagging.   

Some people have had the phones repaired for a very modest amount of money.. 

4 Messages

7 days ago

First of all my phone was under warranty when it started happening,  secondly the At&t rep told me it was AT&t and lastly I have 5 people at work with the same phone and different carriers and do not have any issues

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 days ago

@linda3061 

Under warranty from SAMSUNG...

Some people have reported having their device replaced under warranty when they first started having problems and the problems occurred again, or they had different problems. 

And just because you know people with the same phone that don't have a problem does not mean it is not having problems across all service providers in North America.  

Sampling....

Verizon...

Various carriers, Samsung community

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.