For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
RECONLESS's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, August 26th, 2018 3:25 AM

Note 9 ATT Network Unlocking Code Does Not Work

Hey, I just purchased (and fully paid off) a Note 9 that is locked to the AT&T network, and was successful in getting my unlock request approved for my device, and yes I triple-checked to make sure that I entered the correct IMEI number from both the sticker on the back and the "about phone" section of the settings app). The unlock code was tagged as an incorrect unlock code when trying to enter it both from the encrypted unlock screen and after the un-encryption sequence after bootup. I don't think I've tried the code 5 times (probably around 4), and I've been putting in the exact same unlock code each time I tried (the exact one from the confirmation email), but have been completely unable to get the authorization to pass.

I do not have AT&T as a service provider, but wanted to get the phone unlocked so that I could use it with my current service provider (T-Mobile).

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

More detail:  ATT sent me just the first 8 digits from from NCK (the XXXXXXXX). I state this just to be another proof that ATT unlock portal needs to be updated to properly send the 16 digit code rather than truncate it to an 8 digit code. The website I mentioned charged me $35, but also provided me with the MCK - which I hear is the "unfreeze code" - as I understood if you punch in the wrong network unlock code 5 times, the device becomes locked on ATT. This MCK should unfreeze the phone from ATT network. Can't say more because I only entered the NCK from ATT email (the partial 8 digit code) wrong 4 times, and the 5th time I entered the code  [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T needs to stop deleting beneficial posts that are helping users since at&t can’t do it themselves. You will likely get sued if you continue to do so.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Read the terms of the forum and your terms of service.  Att is well within their rights to remove the 3rd party unlock site info.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

Dear Community,

Per the Community Guidelines:

"The Community Forums are provided as a convenience to AT&T customers and users and is not to be used for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations."

This is the reason why the services names and links to their sites have to be edited out.

Thank you for your understanding,

Dmitriy / AT&T Community Manager

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

6 years ago

No one is promoting any site.  We are discussing another company that can help since you guys can’t.  I guess we can’t talk about apple too or Samsung as they would be promoting them too under your stupid rules.  

How about you fix the problem then this would be a moot point.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Mods: I understand no 3rd party promotion, but is is ok to say that ATT is complacent in misleading the customers, by wiling-fully providing false information as instructions to unlock the devices they purchased, as per current law, signed by Pres Obama - Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act (Feb 2015)? Is it ok to state that current ATT instructions sent via email with the incorrect/partial unlock code, leads to locking the device to ATT networks? I took the time and read the guidelines, and I cannot see anything I have said in this post that violates them.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

If anyone in the future needs info on actually getting unlock codes (because AT&T will NOT help until they change their system), DM me on this website and I'll be glad to link you to the scrubbed posts.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Problem is that they pretend this issue does not exist. This issue started in August when first devices had been sent and first post of this thread is Aug 25th - the official Note 9 launch date. How many 40 days to date passed without at least an acknowledgement? Think, there are many more non-tech users that don't know what we know through this forum, and those people will lock the devices on the network. Not to mention how much time I one had to waste till I found out the issue is with ATT... How hard is for ATT to issue an update? You know, customer service / customer care, those things of the past?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Thermorex wrote:

Problem is that they pretend this issue does not exist. This issue started in August when first devices had been sent and first post of this thread is Aug 25th - the official Note 9 launch date. How many 40 days to date passed without at least an acknowledgement? Think, there are many more non-tech users that don't know what we know through this forum, and those people will lock the devices on the network. Not to mention how much time I one had to waste till I found out the issue is with ATT... How hard is for ATT to issue an update? You know, customer service / customer care, those things of the past?

how many in this thread are not att customers?  Maybe ATT should do like tmobile and not unlock a device till its used on the tmobile network for 60 days.  Its sad when a OEM partner changes unlock codes and does not notify the carrier they did it.  ATT will have to retool the unlock portal and I am sorry with them take more time than it should.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

GLIMMERMAN76 - Instead of proposing a customer friendly solution, like for ex for customers that paid devices in full, have an auto unlock for the device, over the air (it can be done with OEM like Samsung - and not my task to suggest how - I am a customer, I can demand/suggest things, how they are done, not my business) so that customer wont need to go and apply by himself/herself, you come up with a solution that's even worse than the current one... Next suggestion would be probably be to get slapped couple times to know our place, right? Lol. Joke aside, I believe the reason ATT doesn't condition 60 days on network is because of the current laws. FYI, TMobile instantly unlocks their phones on their network (unless this is something new - but I doubt because it may be against that Wireless Competition Act of 2015), if they are paid in full. Friend got his note 8 last year and called them and got it unlocked right away. Overall, the lock on network is done to stop the people that want just to profit at the expense of the network provider. Which is not the case of somebody that pays in full.

I'd like to state that I have no beef with ATT, I've been with them since 2003, when there was that beautiful company called Cingular, that worked so hard to wash the stain of the ATT name, at that time. Now you have this giant that really doesn't care about few customers that paid in full an expensive device. From these few, how many will really leave the company for this incident? Even fewer. So who cares, right? That is what is wrong with ATT and all big corporations, all it matters is $$$, not reputation, even though those 2 are correlated at some point...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.