For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
yatesdb's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, September 4th, 2017 10:21 PM

Closed

AT&T refuses to unlock my eligible phone

We have had THE WORST experience with AT&T. We requested to have my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge unlocked, (which is eligible according to the AT&T website) following the exact directions on the AT&T page, filling out the unlock request online. We received an email from AT&T, confirmed our request, then was sent an email approving our request with an unlock code. When we tried the code, it said it was invalid.

We have called AT&T 5 times and escalated our calls to management requesting a new unlock code because the one we were sent was not valid.

We have been dealing with this issue for 4 days and AT&T keeps pushing us to Samsung (who told us this is an AT&T issue), or the last rep we talked too told us that the phone may be PERMANENTLY locked to the AT&T network because too many attempts were made to unlock the device. They filed a claim with another department, but said it will take up to 72 hours to process.

The AT&T rep also told us we could try and sell our phone to a person who uses their network to try and get a little bit of our money back.

According to the FCC, on February 11, 2015, all carriers HAVE to provide unlocking codes and instructions to customers who request this information. We have gone into an AT&T store and were told it wasn't their problem. We have spent over 10 hours researching this and contacting AT&T and going to their stores following every instruction.

If it is true that my $800 device is permanently locked to AT&T, then NEVER BUY A PHONE WITH AT&T! This is illegal and we will be filing a complaint with the FCC and BBB and posting our experience on multiple sites to warn other customers that they can lock your phone and refuse to unlock it.

Our family has been using AT&T for over 20 years and our entire family will be cancelling our service with AT&T ($300 per month) because of the run-around and disrepect we have received.

All we want is a new unlock code that will actually work, but apparently AT&T keeps sending us the same code 4 times. This has been ridiculous! We are SO disappointed with AT&T after being such loyal customers.

We request a response from AT&T to this question ASAP, as we have researched online and found many people are having this same issue with no resolution.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

As a signatory of the CTIA AT&T has to unlock your phone legally

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@xxjoesmo666xx wrote:

@Gary L https://www.fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

As a signatory of the CTIA AT&T has to unlock your phone legally

I don't see that it's a "Law".  

Sounds more like Voluntary Guidelines. (and neither document list AT&T)

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L i understand your point it is not a "law" but as a signatory of the CTIA AT&T is "Legally" obligated to unlock your phone if you meet the qualifications under there terms of service. The fact that it was voluntary is completely irrelevant. I was incorrect in my choice of word but my argument is still the same. A link to all CTIA participant's https://www.ctia.org/about/our-members

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

There are no legalities and it's not law. It's a "voluntary commitment"
among the carriers.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@xxjoesmo666xx wrote:

@Gary L i understand your point it is not a "law" but as a signatory of the CTIA AT&T is "Legally" obligated to unlock your phone if you meet the qualifications under there terms of service. The fact that it was voluntary is completely irrelevant. I was incorrect in my choice of word but my argument is still the same. A link to all CTIA participant's https://www.ctia.org/about/our-members

Still not sure of the legality. It says voluntary right at the top, see https://www.ctia.org/initiatives/voluntary-guidelines/consumer-code-for-wireless-service

I'm not trying to argue that they'll unlock the phones, I've never had much of a problem. I only asked because you brought up the legalities and I wasn't under the impression they were legally bound.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@xxjoesmo666xx wrote:

I applaud you actually doing the research, thank you.  To often people insist on something despite no evidence one way or the other.  But the interpretation is not correct.  

The fact is no carrier is legally obligated to unlock devices.  Until recently ATT refused to unlock anything not included in the voluntary agreement, namely hotspots and watches.  

The carriers have agreed to unlock all devices if possible and per their written agreement on their website.  It’s the “if possible” part that may be a problem.  Each IMEI has one code.  If the number is recorded wrong, or the phone has been refurbished with new motherboard the IMEI and code may not be right.  In some cases ATT can track the correct code.  I had an older tablet unlocked and they needed an extra few days to get the code from Samsung.  Sometimes an FCC complaint works, sometimes it doesn’t.  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Im going to continue to dig further, my impression is that AT&T did agree to the CTIA terms be it voluntary still means they have to follow the terms, like when you sign a lease, you signed it voluntarily you weren't forced to in any way but agreeing to it you have to follow the terms and conditions of said lease or contract. @Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@xxjoesmo666xx wrote:

Im going to continue to dig further, my impression is that AT&T did agree to the CTIA terms be it voluntary still means they have to follow the terms, like when you sign a lease, you signed it voluntarily you weren't forced to in any way but agreeing to it you have to follow the terms and conditions of said lease or contract. @Gary L

A lease is a contract, it's not a law. No law says "Gary MUST live here"...

I'm not saying AT&T will not follow it.  I 'm not saying they aren't obligated. 

I'm saying I did NOT think it was a law and the information you have provided so far doesn't seem to support that it is.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L i already corrected myself and said that I was wrong with my wording because it is not a law but they are under legal obligation by agreeing to to the CTI A's guidelines to follow them

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@xxjoesmo666xx wrote:

@Gary L i already corrected myself and said that I was wrong with my wording because it is not a law

Yes, you did. 

From https://www.ctia.org/initiatives/voluntary-guidelines/consumer-code-for-wireless-service

Announced in December 2013, the Code has a section on Mobile Wireless Device Unlocking, which includes voluntary standards to assist consumers by enhancing transparency and disclosure of wireless providers' device unlocking policies. 

Now you are assuming there are legalities requiring them to follow the voluntary standards.

but they are under legal obligation by agreeing to to the CTI A's guidelines to follow them

I'm still not sure on what the legal repercussions on that are. 

For example: Am I legally obligated to uphold the boy scout code, or do they just kick me out? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.