Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
jimzix's profile

Observer

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, January 22nd, 2023 1:17 PM

ATT branded and locked S22+ won't update

I received an S22+ from ATT as part of the Trade In Program (T-I-P) in Feb 22.  Phone was on Android 12, One UI 4.1.  Phone received one update, to bring the Android Security Level to June 2022.  No updates to either security level or OS since.  Wife traded her phone in on the T-I-P in Aug 22.  Phone was on Android 12, One UI 4.1.  It has been updated 2X, once to Android 13 and the second time to One UI 5.0.  Two days ago, it received the January 2023 Android Security Patch.  

I have contacted ATT 2X by phone & chat regarding the lack of updates.  On one of these calls, they even patched in a Samsung Rep who checked the phone with remote diagnostics.  No problems found, or reported to me.  Both times, I was told to go to a local ATT store for further troubleshooting.  

Visited two separate ATT-branded stores in my area. Both were very kind and did a cursory exam of the phone (prob. looking for signs of water damage or tampering.)  Both said there was nothing they could do, and that the roll-out of updates from ATT can take a YEAR OR MORE to complete.  The second store even suggested that I go to Best Buy (across the street) and have the Geek Squad examine the phone, as ATT no longer services the phones that they sell, and the stores are merely retail locations to push the phones out.   Best Buy wanted to charge me up front for the service (to be refunded if under warranty) and had almost a two week lead time for an appointment.  I was told that I would need to wipe all data from my phone and that I would need to re-init the phone when it was returned.  They said they were not hopeful that they would be able to fix the problem; they had seen it before with S22 series.  The best solution was a phone swap, if approved by Samsung under warranty. 

I feel that I have gotten a royal run-around from ATT and Samsung on this issue.  Checking with this Forum, I see there are others with this same problem.  The suggestions offered by the ATT reps on this forum are identical to those offered on "call-in" or "chat", and are also identical to those offered on the ATT website. AND THEY DON'T WORK!!

What do we need to do to get someone to take a serious look-see at this issue and figure out how to fix it.  We were promised 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security updates when we purchased these phones.  So far, ATT and Samsung have not kept their promises! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

1 year ago

Wow.  I don't know where you got the idea to do that, but if it worked, more power to you. Self resolving problems are always very satisfying. 

3 Messages

8 months ago

I have a Z Flip 3 and how he solved it did not work for me. Any help for a AT&T Locked Z Flip 3??

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.