For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Cay's profile

• 

12 Messages

Saturday, January 7th, 2023 8:30 PM

4lte verses 5g

My S22 Ultra switches back and forth from 4lte to 5g.  Get ok service in 4lte and none in 5g. Phone is sometimes not recognized in 5g and says can only make emergency calls.  Network operators link is grayed out so I can't switch bands manually.  Can't get it figured out.  Anyone else have this problem?  Phone is only 5 most old.  Is there such a thing as a 4lte Sim card I can switch out?  Any help would be appreciated.  Right now I'm paying for Premium service but only getting to use about 50% of it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

1 year ago

If you order an actual sell booster and not a microcell, and not AT& T's misnomered "cell booster" from the We boost website, or find an LTE only booster on Amazon, that might be the way to go. . We boost is now selling boosters which also boost 5G service. Whether or not it will help you, we can't say. Professional installation is a good idea and less. You are comfortable climbing up on your roof and drilling a hole to run in the cable.  Same kind of people who install satellite dishes. Also can install TV antennas or cellular booster antennas

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

1 year ago

@Cay  I have another guide, the Cellular Booster Guide, which is also listed in my sig line (it's the second link) that is a good primer for all things related to cellular boosters. Those actually take the incoming cellular signal, as long as it is at least a consistent 1-2 bars of signal strength and boosts the signal so that your cellular phone can make and receive calls. An antenna goes on your roof and then connects to another antenna inside your home for signal sending/receiving. There are a few different mfrs so you need to contact them and see what they have to offer. If you have them install, which I would recommend, they have equipment that should be able to see which AT&T frequencies and bands are available to you and align the antenna for the optimal reception.

• 

12 Messages

1 year ago

OttoPylot.

About half the time I'm in 5G and don't have any service.  When in 4lte I have very few issues.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

1 year ago

@Cay  Sounds like 5G is just not reliable in your area, or your phone has issues with it. That's why I just use LTE all of the time. Much more reliable and fast in our area. If you do consider a cellular booster, you want to make sure that the unit you choose can use the bandwidths and frequencies that are available in your area. That's why a professional installer may be worth the extra cost because they can assess the signals in your area for strength, directionality, etc and adjust the receiving units accordingly.

• 

12 Messages

1 year ago

OttoPylot,

Thanks so much.  You've been very helpful.   I'll check on what installers are in my very rural area.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

1 year ago

If you purchase from someone listed in my Guide, which admittedly is a bit dated by now, they may have a listing of authorized installers of their products for you area. It's not difficult to install a cellular booster but depending on where you are, it's nice to be able to scan for the frequencies, bandwidths, and directionality of the signal with equipments that is a little more specific and robust than a phone's app. Some cellular boosters are designed to work with a variety of providers so you're not just stuck with AT&T, but again, that all depends on who the FCC has given licenses to for your area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.