For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
N

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020 11:54 PM

Trade in promotion NOT honored. ATT claims I sent in wrong phone model but will not confirm what I agreed to send. Message says "TBD"

I recently got engaged and wanted to add my now fiancée's phone line to my ATT plan. She was previously part of a family plan on T-Mobile. I timed this on 6/4/2020 to take advantage of the trade in and port over phone promotion to get a $700 credit (in the form of monthly credits) to my account, once I:

1) Ported over a line from another carrier to my plan - from T-Mobile to ATT

2) Purchased an eligible smartphone - 256 GB iPhone 11 Pro
3) Traded in an eligible smart phone - a pink 32 GB iPhone 7

I completed all the steps as advised and even had an online agent walk me through the purchase/trade in process via ATT support chat. I sent in her phone after it was factory restored using the trade in shipping materials provided. The phone was confirmed received by ATT on 6/25 or so. I understand that the promotional credits could take 2-3 billing cycles to complete. I checked up on the status of my credits today after I had not seen them applied to my account. 

I spoke/chatted with a number of different agents who all said that based on the information provided ie, my trade in confirmation number that I did not send in the correct phone model for trade in. Confused, I asked to confirm what model I had agreed to send in but they were unable to tell me. 

The exact status update from the trade in website reads:

Apple iPhone 7 32GB

Value adjusted:

Wrong phone model - you entered Model TBD - Other but phone was actually iPhone 7 32GB

I am confused as to how:

1) ATT does not know which phone model I agreed to send in. Nor could they confirm the model for trade in I had selected when purchasing the iPhone 11 Pro to have this credit applied towards.  All they could tell me was that "Model TBD" was selected. I must have chosen an eligible model for trade in, otherwise I would not have received confirmation on the order page that I would be receiving the $700 credit once details were confirmed. ATT claims this information would be in the email with my trade in confirmation number but I have been unable to find anything related to what model is applicable here in said email.

2) Even in the event that I did choose the wrong phone model to send in on the original order page, the 32 GB iPhone 7 is an eligible model for the $700 credit to be applicable to my account. I should be receiving this credit either way, assuming the phone was in sufficient condition. The phone had no issues when I shipped it and met the criteria .

Instead of helping me resolve/investigate the issue or request more information, I was only provided a $60 ATT promotional card which is obviously less than the $700 credit I was expecting. Even then, the fine print of the promotion says I would be eligible for the $700 credit so long as the phone minimum trade in value was $60 which it appears it was. 

ATT / Other Forum Users - has anyone else had this problem and found a resolution for it? I do not want to accept this credit for $60 when the whole point of me purchasing the phone on the promotion was to get $700 instead. 

My current ideas for remedy are: report this to the Better Business Bureau and/or file a small claims suit in NY vs ATT.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T did something similar to me. I sent in an Iphone 7 in good working condition as a trade in for a Note 20. Called AT&T multiple times to ensure everything was okay with my trade, and everytime I was ensured everything was fine. After 4 months of waiting for credits, I called in and spent 4 hrs navigating between different reps to be told my phone did not power on. It's so sad because my phone was working just fine when I sent it in. AT&T is making up lies so they don't have to honor the program and give me my monthly credits. It's very frustrating as a customer because I am being ignored no mattet I tell them. They rather lose me a customer before they help me.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

@Android0077    phones are sent to a third-party recycler.  They don't have chargers in the warehouse. 

If your phone is left on when it goes into the box, or does not hold a charge well enough when off, to survive up to a month before the box is opened for inspection, it's not going to pass inspection.  

It's sad, and very unfortunate, but it's not AT&T's fault.   Nor is it the recyclers fault.  

I have sold several phones.  I usually keep a phone about a year and then I sell it before it starts to deteriorate. I have more than once opened up a sealed package because I was not sure I turned the phone off.  And at least once, I hadn't. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

i had this exact same issue. sent in a trade in phone in great condition, it got broken in transit, went in circles with att various departments for 2 months. They kept escalating the issue and i would never hear back. I read on this forum to submit a claim with the better business bureau (that took maybe 10 minute to submit)...within 24 hours ATT office of the president had called me back and put a $1k credit (the amount of the promo) on my account. I received it within 10 minutes of hanging up. Quit messing with ATT customer support and go to BBB. Save yourself a lot of headache AND keep them from scamming people.  Spent atleast 8 hrs on the phone with ATT over the weeks.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same issue . I sent my iPhone 8 Plus 256 gb with activation lock turned off. Att is saying I sent iPhone 8 Plus 64 gb and activation lock is turned on and so the trade in departmentadjusted that the trade in value and now are saying that I am not eligible to get $700 credit. I don’t know why are they doing this . How can I get this resolved. The customer service disconnected me when I was arguing my point.

(edited)

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Contact the BBB

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Did anyone try att Notice of Dispute. Will that work

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I have been waiting for them to correct the credits ! Spent 30 plus hours in wasted calls and chats ! If it is not corrected this statement I am filing a complaint against them for unfair practices ! They are scamming everyone out of decent phones that they lose or break and not honoring the promotion Typical Bait and Switch like Direct TV does all the time oh wait they are owned by the same company surprise surprise ! 

ACE - New Member

• 

286 Messages

3 years ago

@prath82

@melsera

@anymitchell2

I made a post on this forum asking @ATTHelp to please provide instructions for customers that have experienced issues with the Trade-In Process (Forum Post Here).

Thus far, @ATTHelp has not responded. I wish they would provide guidance for customers asking for their help navigating a relatively common issue.

@ATTHelp, please tell us what steps to take when Customer Service and the Trade-In Department are unable to assist with our issues.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Exact same thing happened to me.  I traded in 4 phones for the Note 20 Ultra $1000.00 trade in program. They accepted 2 of the phones and gave credit but the other two were denied. I was sent a $18 gift card for a S8+ and $38 for a S9+. 

I contacted AT&T 22 times between calls and chats and everybody kept telling me to wait 3 months for the credits to kick in. Well it's been four months and I'm (Edited per community guidelines). I work in mobile tech setting up new phones for larger companies. I know exactly what you do to clear phones and these (Edited per community guidelines) have the gull to tell me that a phone was not wiped properly and the other had screen burn. 

I'm in the middle of arguing with AT&T thru the BBB and they are still trying to screw me. 

I'm all for a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines)!

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread since November and I just got my issue resolved today. Call 1-888-445-6005 and this is the ATT Elite Center in Chicago. The rep was super helpful. After digging around, she realized the wrong promo was applied. I encourage others to call this center, as they are super helpful and will work to find out what the problem is. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.