For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
QDad's profile
ACE - New Member

ACE - New Member

• 

286 Messages

Wednesday, February 3rd, 2021 6:39 PM

Closed

The ONLY Way to Solve your Trade-In Issues

TLDR: Do not call AT&T Customer Service or the Returns Department, they will not be able to help you. File an FCC complaint and you will be contacted by someone.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us  

Let me begin by saying that I have been an AT&T cellular customer since they purchased Cingular and have AT&T gigabit fiber in my home.

In November 2020, I saw a promotion for “Get a New iPhone 12 Mini for Free” and decided to look at the terms.

After reading the terms and conditions of the promotion (below), I decided to move forward with the Trade-In and upgrade.

I checked the estimated value of my trade-in using the AT&T online tool, and it estimated a $215 value for my iPhone X 256 GB.

Even if my phone was devalued by 50% from the estimate, I would still be eligible for the $700 in bill credits due to the phone’s trade in value being greater than $95. My phone was in fine condition with no cracks or major damage.

I performed a factory reset of the iPhone to make sure all data was deleted, this is mostly for my security but it is also one of the steps the return information indicates that you should do.

I shipped the old phone back to the “Trade-In” department and it was delivered to the address on the AT&T supplied label on December 2, 2020 – well within the 30 day timeframe allowed by the promotion.

I waited a few days and checked the status of my trade-in using the online link and was astonished to see this:

They were reducing the value of my phone by 82% for “Activation Lock not deactivated”. I would not be receiving my “Free iPhone 12 Mini” as the promotion outlined.

I immediately called the Trade-In department to see what was going-on. The individual I spoke to said, “There must have been a mix-up during the intake process. I’ll begin an investigation with our Tier 2 support group and they will contact you via email in 3-5 business days”. I was relieved as I thought this was going to be a fiasco. The agent set my mind at ease.

After 10 business days, I had still not seen a change to the trade-in value and decided to call the “Trade-In” department to see what I could learn. After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes, I spoke to an agent that was very terse, bordering on rude. She said she did not have access to the Tier 2 support records and could not tell me what the status of my “Investigation” was. She said “It could take weeks for them to email you. You just need to wait for the email”. I asked if I could have the email address for the Tier 2 department and I would reach out to them directly. She said she does not have the email address and I must wait for them to contact me. I was frustrated by the conversation, but realized I was at a dead end.

The next day I decided to see how I could prove if my phone activation lock had been deactivated when I performed a reset of my iPhone X. I reached out to Apple and spoke to their support team. They were very helpful and were able to determine that my iPhone lock, know as “Find My iPhone” has indeed been deactivated and the phone was “unlocked”. I asked for them to send me documentation and ended-up having to go through their legal department to obtain a transcript of the support call. See below:

At this point, I have invested over 12 hours in this ordeal, but I was ready and had the proof available for when the Tier 2 “Investigator” from the Trade-In Department did email me.

By Christmas, no email had arrived. New Year, no email had arrived. First week of January, no email had arrived.

I call back to the Trade-In department and they tell me that they will “Escalate my case to Tier 2 support”. I tell them this has already been done multiple times before, but I never receive any communication. The representative says, “All I can do is initiate an escalation”. I can tell there is a difference in the way this representative speaks in contrast to the Customer Service representatives I have spoken with at AT&T, he was more informal. I ask if he is an AT&T employee and he say, “No, I am with a company by the name of Hyla”. This is when the pieces start falling into place for me.

I call AT&T Customer Service (CS) and begin a feedback loop of frustration the likes of which I have never experienced before. AT&T CS refers me to the Trade-In department and I tell them that is a dead end. They say there is nothing they can do at CS. I ask for a manager and speak with someone that promises that they will look into this.

I have spoke to more than 15 CS representatives and 6+ managers over the course of 6 days. Each call lasts between 2 and 4 hours. I am usually disconnected at least once, sometimes 2-3 times during any given “session” and must start anew with a new representative.

I now have over 30 hours into my ordeal, but I am not willing to walk away from the $700 in bill credits I am qualified for. I have all the documentation I need.

I finally go into a retail AT&T store and spend 2 hours on the phone with a CS representative in the “Loyalty and Retention Department”. After 2 disconnects, the retail employee says, “There’s nothing we can do for you here. You should just call the Loyalty department from your own home.”

I go home and call back. I am disconnected again after more than an hour on the phone with another manager and decide that is enough for one day.

That evening, I search for “AT&T Trade-In issues” and “AT&T trade-in scam” and find this forum.

After reading several posts, I find one that says to contact the BBB and/or the FCC. I know that the BBB is generally a toothless threat, but decide to do it anyway.

Within two business days, I receive a call and email from the “Office of the President” (OOP) at AT&T. The individual says she reviewed my complaint and will honor the $700 in bill credits. I ask if I need to send the proof that my iPhone was not “locked” and she says, “No, I believe you.”

At this point, all the pieces fall into place. I realize that AT&T has contracted with a third party vendor, Hyla, to accept the trade-in phones. My guess is that the contract terms between Hyla and AT&T stipulate that Hyla is financially incentivized to de-value phones sent to them. The reason calls to the “Trade-In Department” go nowhere is that Hyla does not care. AT&T is the Hyla customer, not AT&T customers. We are nothing but noise to them.

I have asked the representative from the “Office of the President” send me an email outlining the terms that we have discussed as a resolution to our issue. She says she cannot do that as it would violate privacy rights. Huh?

As of today, 2/3/2021, I am keeping my BBB complaint open until I have written documentation from the Office of the President outlining the terms we have agreed-to.

This is a shame and a terrible way to treat people. AT&T knows what is happening and is not changing their procedures or informing their Customer Service representatives, not even the managers, of how to rectify the problems.

Shame on you AT&T, this is no way to treat your customers.

The solution: Do not call AT&T Customer Service or the Returns Department, they will not be able to help you. File an FCC complaint and you will be contacted by someone.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Ugh.....hopefully this works, I'm in a slightly different, more expensive situation....I upgraded and didn't like the new phone, support told me that I couldn't return it to the store - I had to ship it back in, and I could use the same label that they sent me to send in my trade in. Sent it in on October 19 and I've talked to two different people who have said they traced it to the warehouse but it isn't in the system yet, to call back in a week. Every time I call back, they all of a sudden can't find it again...this has been going on for almost a month now....it's insane....I even had one guy tell me that it's not unlike them to lose phones. So I'm stuck paying for a $1000 phone that I don't even have anymore....just filed my complaint, hope to hear from them soon.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

after reading this im terrified now to send me S10+ in. anyone else think that the packaging for mailing in your phone is absolutely ridiculous? its just a box with a padded envelope that they basically tell you not to even tape or fold closed seems like the phone could easily slide around and get damaged on delivery. which makes a bunch of sense because it seem they would be happy if it arrived damaged. the crazy part is you cant ever get your phone back that you send it so if they say its damaged or whatever and worth nothing you cant get it back either. ugh i guess im gonna just do it and hope for the best. atleast i know theres some recourse if something happens.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

@edtiff Packaging is alright, I think. I received way flimsier packages with contents intact when I bought things on EBay and even from China. You could try returning your old phone to AT&T store. I read on this forum that someone was able to do that and receive full credit. Most stores won’t take trade-ins but it is worth trying. Otherwise, if they claim that your phone arrived damaged, fight it! I filed complaints with BBB and FCC on Saturday (11/13/2021) and had my case resolved this morning (11/15/2021). AT&T credited the full amount, $700

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Update, I filed my complaints on Friday and Saturday and received a call first thing this morning, they are correcting my account and I'll hear back within the hour. It's disappointing that we have to go that far to get results, but at least once we take it that far we're taken care of.

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

@edtiff @DIGITY81 

DIGI good to hear your issue was resolved and does (Edited per community guidelines) that customers have to go to these lengths. 

EDTIFF I turned in my phones yesterday at a corporate store. The associate recommended to do so only at corporate stores and not franchise stores. He said they haven’t heard of any issues from any customers at their store with trade ins and supposedly held to higher standards than franchise stores. But just to make sure, I took video and photos of the photos next to the trade in assessment done by him in case any issues arise. So we will see….

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Exactly same here!!! In February I upgraded 2 IPhone XS value was $800 per phone.Just received my trade in complete only giving me $160.00 phone no reason why. Not only that but when I upgraded my phones my Internet went up $15.00. Days & hours calling customer service to only be transferred, disconnected & put on hold. I’m at the infuriating point of no return. I just filed complaints with both the BBB & FCC!!

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just want to say thank YOU so much! After contacting AT&T and BBB, my issue was never fixed. The FCC saved me so much time and effort! I got my trade in value I was owed. They never even had record of my phone being traded in, how scary is that?!

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Any employee should know the OfficeOfThePresident site on the company Intranet.

They are the last resort, but they do come through.  

I've used them many times including for myself.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

The FCC process works!!!!! I have been going back and forth with AT&T since March of 2021 regarding their failure to honor the trade in promo. First, my trade in was never received (provided tracking proving it was delivered), then they claimed the phone was carrier locked (provided receipt showing phone was fully paid for and unlocked), then they claimed the phone wouldn't turn on and was damaged. The phone was a 4 month old LGVelvet in mint condition, so there's no way that's true. 

I have opened 10+ support tickets, done phone and chat support for hours on end, spoken with supervisor upon supervisor in 4 different departments, and was never able to get answers or a resolution besides "you should see credits on your account in 3 billing cycles" or "you will get a call in 48 hours about your ticket". All lies!!! After reading this forum last week, I submitted a FCC complaint on March 25th 2022. By March 28th I had been contacted by the Office of the President stating I was receiving my $700 trade in credit ASAP and received an apology for the full year of (Edited per community guidelines) I ensued. I requested the trade in credit approval be sent to me in writing via email which they complied. I checked my account today (March 31), and the full credit was issued! 

Skip the headache of dealing with AT&T, and just do the FCC complaint after your first attempt to get your credits. 

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

which BBB office did you contact?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.