For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
mark98201's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, December 19th, 2013 6:18 PM

tablet data plan on unlocked non-contract phone devices ?

What happens with non-contract smartphones when customers only want the data service because they don't want and cannot use the primitive single-line voice services provided through a voice plan ?

Is it possible to use a tablet data plan ?

For example, I already have a Nexus-7 tablet with a tablet data plan. When I'm travelling, and the battery dies, can I continue to use the LTE data service that I'm paying for my moving the SIM into a compatible unlocked non-contract smartphone, such as a Nexus-5 or iPhone4 ?

If not, why not ?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

As a CUSTOMER, I'm merely TELLING AT&T Wireless that they won't ever convince me to pay for their crummy primitive cellular voice services ever again, so they will get MORE of my business if they sell data-only plans for ever cellular-enabled device that's compatible with their network. 

Okay. But you realize that they don't care; you're an anomaly. It's not going to make or break them.

At some point, maybe they'll dump "phone lines" and do data only plans with VOIP, but guess what? They'll raise the price to make up for the loss of the "phone line"...

But so far, cellular execs are as dumb as the cable system execs who used to force customers to subscribe to video service before being allowed to buy Internet service. 

Which cable company does that? I've never been forced to do that (or heard of it).

FYI, I'm not sure why that's "dumb", as they are making more money that way...???

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

I’m still baffled by the “primitive voice service” comment.  I’m guessing he means prepaid’s lack of HD voice.  A service not offered to non ATT phones on any plan.  

But no plan prevents a user from using another app, like Facebook messenger, from making calls using data and getting an HD voice connection.  My son regularly uses FB messenger for HD calls as he has a non carrier phone.  Also it resolves the Wifi calling issue.  

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

If you are 'baffled' that anyone wants more than stand-alone lines, then you should never have been considered an expert in any telephony forum. You are too busy goose-stepping for AT&T wireless like the other miserable corporate drones who have been arrogantly picking at my original request, one that I would have deleted years ago after the worthless nature of this forum to request product and service improvements from AT&T became apparent. Nobody do that, because the apparently paid-off swarm of gadflies will only mock you while they give utterly worthless 'advice'. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

If you are 'baffled' that anyone wants more than stand-alone lines, then you should never have been considered an expert in any telephony forum.

So you're not going to explain the “primitive voice service” comment?  

You're just going to be critical because YOU weren't clear?

You are too busy goose-stepping for AT&T wireless like the other miserable corporate drones who have been arrogantly picking at my original request, one that I would have deleted years ago after the worthless nature of this forum to request product and service improvements from AT&T became apparent. Nobody do that, because the apparently paid-off swarm of gadflies will only mock you while they give utterly worthless 'advice'. 

Yup, just going to be critical...

Why be clear so people actually understand what you are trying to say??? 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

You could have spent more time doing other things.   Att does not care about a customer like you.  You don't fit the business model.   Right now postpaid is paying for data..  they just throw voice and text in.   VoLTE is voice over ip.   The solution your trying to do 98% of atts customer base would not even now how to do it.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

You're wrong. There are plenty of organizations using ONLY cellular data
services for their communications, including voice & telemetry. That's what
'IoT' happens to be, not the antiquated price-bloated voice plans.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

If you are 'baffled' that anyone wants more than stand-alone lines, then you should never have been considered an expert in any telephony forum.

What does that have to do with anything?

You are too busy goose-stepping for AT&T wireless like the other miserable corporate drones who have been arrogantly picking at my original request,

You were told no.  It’s you who have ‘picked’ because you refuse to understand or except the answer.  

one that I would have deleted years ago after the worthless nature of this forum to request product and service improvements from AT&T became apparent. Nobody do that, because the apparently paid-off swarm of gadflies will only mock you while they give utterly worthless 'advice'. 

We don’t get paid.  No discounts.  No kickbacks.   No free phones or service.  

Punkin’ the big execs at AT&T are ignoring you because they don’t want your business.   

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Hence why I said get a business account.  

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

Having a business account does not change the poor voice quality provided through the phone plans when calling off-network. 

Only running VoIP over LTE data does that for ALL calls, including calls to other virtual PBX extensions. 

Rather than insulting other business cellular services users, you busy bodies should go back to helping people with questions that interest you. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76  

The OP isn’t interested in possibilities that WILL work.  Only in bashing big carriers.  He wants cheap, then the big carriers are not for him.  Can we stop feeding this.....?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.