For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
shyg360's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 25th, 2015 10:16 PM

lumia 950 Firmware update

Does anyone know if the lumia 950 on at&t will be receiving the latest firmware update from Microsoft??? Thanks Merry Christmas

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you ATT for listening as the new firmware update is available via the WDRT now!!

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@sdunnin Once you're set up to get the updates, Insider or otherwise, AT&T can only "delay" them coming from MS, that's part of the agreement on Win phone 10.

Yep, the firmware, on the other hand @Gunite, came surprisingly quick for AT&T, I give them big kudos for that, given some of the other device update delays as of late.

@1ajpgroup Actually, AT&T does delay Android devices as well, even the non-branded ones.  They don't have a "published" agreement with Google, but if you have an AT&T SIM, it's definitely been shown that you get pushed to the back of the queue, and/or delayed for a set amount of time.

At least with Win10m, the updates come, fast-and-furious, particularly if you're on the Insider program.  The Release Preview ring minimizes this, and generally assures that the releases you get are mostly fully tested and vetted.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

We need to stop confusing OS updates with Firmware updates. The various Insider rings only allow the user to get OS updates before the carrier officially releases them. This has absolutely nothing to do with firmware updates nor the topic of this thread.

What we're discussing here and what we're still waiting on is the latest firmware update that AT&T has yet to release. This particular firmware has multiple fixes that affect WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular connectivity yet AT&T is in no hurry to get these important fixes out to their customers. This is par for the course for AT&T on the firmware side of things and nothing new as they have a long history of holding up releases for inordinate amounts of time.

@Gunite - Thanks for the heads-up on the device recovery tool. Glad to see the firmware finally showing up there. Interesting that AT&T still isn't pushing it as and over-the-air update.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@FLJeepGuy Agreed, although in this case, some of the firmware update "features" are useless, without an OS update as well (double-tap-to-wake, for example).

MS has designed these in tandem, and has intended users to receive both the firmware AND corresponding OS updates, even if they are competely disjoint entities, from an update perspective.

There area also WiFi and BT fixes in the current Release Preview OS builds, so while upgrading your firmware will be useful, you won't see the full benefit (and no DTTW, per above), unless you are also upgrading your OS.

I see this is as a positive for most Win Phone users, they can now get the latest firmware (at a relatively quick release timeframe, compared to other device OS families), and the latest OS, if they just step outside the OTA box.

I suspect  the 950 firmware, now that it's been published, will show up relatively quickly OTA, a good thing.  Users will need to decide about the OS side.  I just don't want them to be unaware of the dependencies, the intent of adding this into the mix here.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@FLJeepGuy Correct firmware and OS updates are different things. I think part of that confusions is beause on other platforms you get them both at the same time.

Now concerning Insider Rings... I kind of lost track of it but Microsoft was going to start pushing firmware updates out OTA via the Rings as well. What I never got clear was if it would be ONLY for Microsoft branded devices - non-Carrier Band - or all devices. I have a Dual SIM 950 XL so I'm unbranded and Ive yet to see any such updates come across. But then I have also dropped my 950 XL back to preview for a while. I'm kind of liking this battery life, stability etc. 🙂 My 1520 and 640 are on the fast ring.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

The AT&T 950 OTA Firmware update is FINALLY available!!!! Smiley Very Happy

AT&T Lumia 950 'Double tap to wake' over-the-air firmware update rolling out

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@ODad wrote:

Now concerning Insider Rings... I kind of lost track of it but Microsoft was going to start pushing firmware updates out OTA via the Rings as well. What I never got clear was if it would be ONLY for Microsoft branded devices - non-Carrier Band - or all devices. I have a Dual SIM 950 XL so I'm unbranded and Ive yet to see any such updates come across. But then I have also dropped my 950 XL back to preview for a while. I'm kind of liking this battery life, stability etc. 🙂 My 1520 and 640 are on the fast ring.

Catching up on Win Phone threads...  

@ODad Yeah, the FW updates via Insider Rings is only still for un-branded devices.  Those with AT&T (or other) branded devices must still get the FW OTA, from their carrier.

This makes things a bit confusing, since there are features (such as double-tap-to-wake), that are in Insider builds (even the main release branch has this now, Anniversary too), but require the FW update to be functional.

It looks as if AT&T is pushing the 950 FW now though, according to a couple of threads...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.