For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
craoxr's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 1st, 2016 5:35 PM

Lumia 640 XL Windows 10 Release Date

I have a Lumia 640 XL with AT&T.  I am wondering when Windows 10 mobile will be released on it.  I have contacted Microsoft and they said it is up to the provider to release the update.  I have the Upgrade Advisor app and it says "Good news!  Yor phone is eligible for upgrade to Windows 10.  We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available for your phone and you'll see a notification when it's ready".  I am wondering when Windows 10 Mobile will be released from AT&T for the Lumia 640 XL.  Thank you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I agree.

I've seen many on this forum recommending a "work around" experimental update. This is not the point. I bought this phone for my daughter one year ago and one of the selling points at AT&T store was that this phone would be W10 upgradable. As time goes by, and Apps are optimized for W10, this phone loses capabilities. AT&T is taking an unreasonale amount of time to put out a relatively trivial modification (AT&T bloatware, etc) to the W10 Upgade, already released from Microsoft about 6 months ago. I know how these things work. This release is not high on the Programmers task list, not to their fault, but due to instructions down the management chain. It is profitable to withold this release to incitivise customers to buy a new smartphone.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@EEMene@cybdiver, The Release Preview Ring of the Insider builds are NOT "experimental", in the standard sense.

These builds  are the preview, for what's typcially a monthly release, and in almost all cases, become the release build itself.

Think about all the Android phones, where there is a huge delay in released builds, or in some cases, phones are getting "sunsetted", when they could possibly run newer builds.  With the Win Phones, YOU HAVE THE CHOICE, it's possible to grab the latest, stable build, and be all set. The vast majority of Android users would probably jump at this opportunity, I've seen many of them begging for such a pre-release plan, many times over.

It's also worth mentioning, these builds are free of the AT&T "extra" software, that so many users complain about, so that's another plus to getting the Insider release.

Talking to AT&T about the builds, replacments, etc, is your choice, I suppose, who knows what the outcome could/would be.

I'm only speculating, but I don't think this is a matter of incenting the purchase of a new phone, but the lack of users still on the platform, releative to other devices.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

8 years ago

But they are not the actual release and this is not Android and the OTA method is not how I will recieve it. 

Just to refresh this is not Android. 

While Beta testing is always fun like going into the haunted house and never knowing whats around the next corner I prefer a more business like approach to my Windows releases.

This is not to say that it won't be without it's mystery challenges too.

MS shouldn't have promised the upgrade if they are not going to deliver.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@cybdiver Actually you do get it OTA, the same as if AT&T has pushed it, you just go to Settings->Updates...

It's NOT a BETA, those are the Fast and Slow rings, the Release Preview Ring is the place builds go, immediately before they are pushed to release, and go to release within a few days, almost withouth exception.

After you sign up, you can opt-back-out, and you'll get the regular update releases, approximately one/month, depending, the same builds that roll from RP Ring to Release.

MS DID deliver the updates, they released both the Win10m and the Anniversary Update packages, one almost a year back, the second in August.  If the carriers choose to not push via their OTA, that's up to them, but MS has a way around it, you can opt into the Release Preview, and then back out, and get all the releases, from then forward.

Your choice, wait to see if AT&T ever releases an update (based on the ATTCares comment, I sort of doubt it), and hope things don't deprecate in the meantime, or move foward.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.