Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Geaker4451's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 6th, 2022 5:28 AM

AT&T tells me my Samsung S8+ is no longer compatible with their network

On March 4, 2022, my Samsung S8+ Could no longer accept or make a voice call.  Data services were okay.  After going to their AT&T store, they informed me that we would have to purchase an AT&T branded phone because the unlocked phone would no longer work on their network.

I believe this is totally bogus.  AT&T’s own document shows the Samsungs S8+ as fully supported including advanced messaging.

I called technical support and they reiterated that message and said they tried to “update” the SIM and the phone was incompatible and that we would have to buy a locked AT&T phone.  

I pressed them on an official document that stated that AT&T would no longer support that and they said there was none.  Additionally, they said all of the calls they have been getting on this issue were unlocked phones.

So apparently AT&T changed something on their network which broke the voice capability for the Samsung S8+.  I have several phones, and placed the same SIM into a brand new Pixel 3XL and it is working fine.

If what the store and tech support said is true, AT&T has really done their customer base a dis-service by treating them in this manner and telling them they have to buy an AT&T locked phone.  

I intend to contact my State Rep on Monday and complain as well as file a Consumer complaint.  They were very happy to place my Samsung S8+ on their network 2 months ago and now they say it is incompatible.  this really smells like an attempt to force unlocked phone users to purchase an AT&T locked phone.

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

If someone figures out a workaround SIM for all these affect phones, they'll make $$MILLIONS!!! 

I'd jump in a heartbeat.

This is stupid.... not cancelling 3G (that's inevitable)... cancelling all these phones that actually have 4G, 5G, LTE and VoLTE capability that somehow don't work, now.

It's glaringly obvious that AT&T just wants everyone to have to buy a new phone from them.

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

@blingenfelter 

Someone has figured it out - it's called going to another carrier. 

BTW, look at that whitelist again - there are a bunch of unlocked phones that AT&T will allow.  So it's glaringly obvious that AT&T will let quite a few phones on their network NOT bought from them. 

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks to all for your help. Looks like ATT will solve my problem! 

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

@Paula33 just so you know the "free" phone is a joke too.  They sent my sons those and they were not even 5G phones even though the ones they had were.  And when we put the Sim cards in and activated them they didn't even work.  No data, no text, no calls, nothing!!!  We were able to get one of their 5G phones to work but we had to buy another one for out other son.  I was able to get my phone to work after 4 days of fighting with AT&T, I had to get the answer from Samsung.  It required me to download an app but I am now finally able to make calls again and run my business.  Their outage caused me to lose a lot of money with my business and of course the whole time I had to pay full price for a service that I couldn't use.  Needless to say we will be changing carriers very soon, because in the 5 months we have been with AT&T we have had nothing but issues

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

the link for the free phone disappeared. I give up. Thanks to all.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@tedog

The phone is free, you still have to oay for service.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@paula33

The reason for handing out free phones ended when 3g turned off on 2/22

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@amn_joie

WCDMA IS 3G.  All this does is force your phone to roam on T-Mobile 3-g network. What happens in June? T-Mobile shutting down its 3-g Network in June.  

You either change networks or change phones.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Geaker4451

The FCC governs the cell industry.  You think they don't know?  

While your phone never should have been allowed on AT&T two months ago, the fact that it doesn't make phone calls now says it's not compatible.   You either have to switch phones or switch service providers.

AT&T has provided an extensive list of compatible phones. The list of phones that are unlocked and non-branded is easily as long as not longer than the list of phones AT&T sold.

Non branded, unlocked phones that will work on AT&T

1 Message

8 months ago

Is there an updated link to see the.current models that will work? This link is dead.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.