Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not sure but I suspect no.  There could be a danger of electrocution and lightning strikes not to mention slippery surfaces. 

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

oh ok. I drove by the tower today and no dish on the tower. They have a couple panels up though. I have a feeling there wont be 4G this weekend. lol

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Probably not American Ninja:(

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Of course the weekend they work on the tower its been raining everyday. I wonder if they are going to wait till the rain passes then continue working or move on to a different tower?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Looks like something may be happening. Im getting no data at all on my phone. Just a cell signal. So hopefully that means they are working on it.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Weird now my phone is displaying "GPRS" instead of E.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Post Edited.

That means you are on the basic network. I would guess it will be a few weeks before they turn up "4G" or both 4G and LTE after they get the panels up. Like a few sites that I know of that are still E, I suspect backhaul is part of the reason which has delayed them from upgrading that site sooner, not to mention the guy wire issues.. AT&T hasn't invested in their circuits like they should have and the current transfer lines(T-1's) are insufficient to support highspeed data. 

I suspect they will upgrade that site before the end of this month so hang in there, as it will happen. AT&T won't have the overall fastest network by any means, but when they get their sites upgraded it should be a great network. 

Don't look for VoLTE anytime soon:) Lol

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Oh ok. That's weird they would shut down edge. Does it usually take them awhile to activate the 4G after they get the panels up?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Probably a couple of weeks.....maybe a bit sooner. Hopefully they will get the tower near Arnold fired up soon as well:)

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

My friend just sent me a text update about the Lathrop tower. He said "In about a month my source said maybe 4G. The panels are up but cable hasn't been run to it yet."

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.