For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
W

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 25th, 2020 7:25 PM

Mis-leading and incorrect 5G maps

I upgraded to a new iPhone 12, and had to update my contract to the new unlimited plan to get 5G support. The map clearly shows I am dead center in a 5G area, so I should have a good solid signal. Instead I get LTE. I have to drive about 1/2 mile West to get a 5G service. I've already reported ATT to the PUC for false advertising. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Again att has covered itself with the disclaimer about coverage at the bottom.  This has been tried before and that is why all carriers have that message at the bottom of coverage maps.  It's for the complainers and Sue happy peeps.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Complaining @GLIMMERMAN76 ? There is literally no 5G service in a ~10miles radius around me. Zero coverage. This is not about "buildings" this is them knowing there are no towers in the area supporting 5G but still putting it on a map saying there is. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Do you still have service phil08?  If so what is the problem?  Its all low band n5 coverage in most places and its no faster than LTE band 5 was.  I get the coverage map is wrong OR they have a problem with some towers that the 5G radios messed up on.  Equipment problems do happen and take weeks to months to fix sometimes with cell towers.  It took Verizon 3 months to get new panels for the tower by my house that was damaged by wind and hail.  It took ATT about the same amount of time.  

5G is a new tech its going to have quarks in the coverage maps.   I do hope they get it worked out for you.  In my case at home I get 5G on a note 20 but my wifes iphone 12 does not in the house because we are to close to the LTE tower that does not have 5G panels yet.  But the coverage map shows us covered.

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Same thing here... (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) is what I propose. I bought 3 new devices, all of which were very expensive and all of which are not providing 5G directly in a 5G area, according to AT&T's map.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

1 year ago

@TravelingPatriotNJ1966  This is an old thread but coverage maps, by any provider, are misleading in that they indicate the coverage range of the signal but not the usability of the signal. Added to that is buildings and other obstacles which block the signals and more commonly saturation of the towers. Some providers may have better coverage for your given area but all providers have coverage issues for given areas. I don't bother with 5G because it's still not reliable in our area and just leave our phones on LTE, where there are no issues.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

1 year ago

@TravelingPatriotNJ1966

All smartphones even the cheap ones now have 5G on them.  All the high end phones are expensive (you could have bought cheaper ones). 

So what?

Can you call and text? 

Are data speeds same/adequate in the same locations as when you just had devices with LTE?

If the answers are yes and yes, then you don't have a problem. 

If you were expecting to upgrade to 5G devices and see some sort of marvelous transformation in your phone, that's not what 5G does. It's just a new technology.  It's supposed to have more capacity than LTE which hopefully will reduce congestion. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.