Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
balst01's profile

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2022 4:45 PM

Cannot Make or receive calls on non AT&T 4G phone. 3G sunset is to blame.

Re-posting this since the other threads all have "Accepted solutions". In my opinion "buy a new phone" is not an acceptable solution, and I will not be marking it as such. AT&T need to fix this issue.

About 2 days ago, my phone stopped working for any voice calls. I have a Galaxy S10+ and I just upgraded to One UI 4.1, and I think this may have been the start of the issue. If you have a non-AT&T Galaxy, don't take the upgrade, it will kill your ability to make phone calls.

To help others out, so far, I have tried the following and it *DOES NOT* fix the issue:

• Restart the phone (several time). Of course this was never going to fix it
  • Call AT&T support and ask them to reset my wireless service, no help
  • Went in to the AT&T store and asked them to replace my SIM with a new one. Makes no difference at all
  • Did a factory reset on my phone. Doesn't help
  • Manually set the wireless settings according the the AT&T table in "Access point names" settings. Makes no difference

Just to be sure, I placed my SIM in my wife's phone (identical phone but she has not taken the One UI 4.1 upgrade), and her SIM in mine. My SIM works fine with my number in her phone. Her SIM fails with her number in my phone.

Conclusion: It's the phone, not the SIM, and even a factory reset won't help.

I think I know what is causing the problem; maybe one of the AT&T techs on this forum can confirm. AT&T have stated elsewhere that after the 3G sunset, having HD voice is a requirement to make calls, so there appear to be 2 requirements of phones:

1. Phone must be capable of 4G; this gets you service so you can use 4G data and send/receive text message via SMS
  2. Phone must be capable of HD Voice; this allows you to make and receive phone calls

If you have 1. but not 2. you can't use your phone to make calls, but everything else would appear to work fine.

The thing is, a Galaxy S10+ should be capable of HD Voice calling, but I think my upgrade to One UI 4.1 may have broken it. In addition, I have a foreign S10+ with the Samsung branded processors on-board (different to the U.S. models). 

Any of the AT&T techs care to comment?

BTW: "Buy a new phone" is *NOT* an acceptable solution, please fix it.

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

@SPython @GLIMMERMAN76 Yes, it's relatively safe; I have flashed once or twice before, when the tools were less mature and I was using unofficial software and I have not bricked yet. With Odin and official Samsung software, it should be pretty safe.

I'm trying to locate the previous version now, but Sammobile won't let me download without a membership. Anyone know where else we can get the software from?

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@balst01 @Footfault

You can also email Samsung directly from this web form (I shortened the long URL ):
tinyurl.com/yc5cec8d 
You will have to sign into or create a Samsung account first.

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@balst01 @Footfault 

I sent an email to Samsung support via their webform.  The automated response:

Thank you for reaching Samsung Email Service.

Your inquiry has reached us successfully & will be replied within a maximum of 24 Hours.

For faster responses, we invite you to try our interactive Customer Service Channels in below links:

Live Chat: https://live-chat-static.sprinklr.com/chat/page/3mWEorwo-/index.html?appId=60338dd83f066f2f272998d8_app_813406&device=MOBILE

Whatsapp: https://wa.me/+971547267864

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

The info I provided is incorrect - the link is for users in the Gulf.

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@balst01 @Footfault 
So any links for Samsung support for the SM-G975F go to sites in the Gulf or the Lavant.  It does look like we have to flash our phones with Odin or similar.  (Edited per community guidelines)e

(edited)

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

Found the firmware on samfrew.com, downloading the most recent pre-4.1 update with build date end of Jan 2022 (last 4.0 security update before 4.1). This site is very slow for the free download, and current estimate is 11 hours. I'll let you know tomorrow if it fixes the problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s10-plus/firmware/SM-G975F/XSA/#SM-G975F

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s10-plus/firmware/SM-G975F/XSA/#SM-G975F

Yes, that was my first stop, but you can't download without a premium account.

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@balst01  on the list that @GLIMMERMAN76 supplied I see the last build date was February 24.  UI4.1 was initially released March 21 and made available for download a few days ago.  So which build should one download?

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

@SPython It depends on the region/country (AKA original carrier) for your phone. Mine was an Australian phone provided by Telstra (Carrier code TEL). When you check for the download, you need to provide both your exact phone model (SM-G975F) *and* your carrier code to get the correct firmware. In the Sammobile site, choose country and carrier. If you don't know, you can get it from Settings->About Phone->Software Information->Service Provider Software Version. Look for the 3-letter code on the second line (Mine says TEL/TEL/TEL for Telstra). samfrew.com has similar check-box pull-downs.

My last build before 4.1 was dated Jan 27th.

If you use samfrew.com, and click on the firmware, it provides the official list of changes that Samsung provided; avoid the one that says it added 4.1, and take the one before that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.