Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
balst01's profile

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2022 4:45 PM

Cannot Make or receive calls on non AT&T 4G phone. 3G sunset is to blame.

Re-posting this since the other threads all have "Accepted solutions". In my opinion "buy a new phone" is not an acceptable solution, and I will not be marking it as such. AT&T need to fix this issue.

About 2 days ago, my phone stopped working for any voice calls. I have a Galaxy S10+ and I just upgraded to One UI 4.1, and I think this may have been the start of the issue. If you have a non-AT&T Galaxy, don't take the upgrade, it will kill your ability to make phone calls.

To help others out, so far, I have tried the following and it *DOES NOT* fix the issue:

• Restart the phone (several time). Of course this was never going to fix it
  • Call AT&T support and ask them to reset my wireless service, no help
  • Went in to the AT&T store and asked them to replace my SIM with a new one. Makes no difference at all
  • Did a factory reset on my phone. Doesn't help
  • Manually set the wireless settings according the the AT&T table in "Access point names" settings. Makes no difference

Just to be sure, I placed my SIM in my wife's phone (identical phone but she has not taken the One UI 4.1 upgrade), and her SIM in mine. My SIM works fine with my number in her phone. Her SIM fails with her number in my phone.

Conclusion: It's the phone, not the SIM, and even a factory reset won't help.

I think I know what is causing the problem; maybe one of the AT&T techs on this forum can confirm. AT&T have stated elsewhere that after the 3G sunset, having HD voice is a requirement to make calls, so there appear to be 2 requirements of phones:

1. Phone must be capable of 4G; this gets you service so you can use 4G data and send/receive text message via SMS
  2. Phone must be capable of HD Voice; this allows you to make and receive phone calls

If you have 1. but not 2. you can't use your phone to make calls, but everything else would appear to work fine.

The thing is, a Galaxy S10+ should be capable of HD Voice calling, but I think my upgrade to One UI 4.1 may have broken it. In addition, I have a foreign S10+ with the Samsung branded processors on-board (different to the U.S. models). 

Any of the AT&T techs care to comment?

BTW: "Buy a new phone" is *NOT* an acceptable solution, please fix it.

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

This problem with UI 4.1 was also reported on the Samsung community forum in November 2021 as affecting the S21 series and the bug still exists in the UI 4.1 update for the S10 series released in April 2022. !!!
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Questions/Volte-not-working-after-One-Ui-4-update/td-p/2113129

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Hi SPython and balst01,

Just read through this thread as I am having exactly the same issue upon updating to 4.1 (I have a Samsung Galaxy a525f/S that I bought in Australia and am now in the US). I have spent many phone calls to at&t and Samsung, all to no avail and my increasing frustration. Then I found this thread and it's given me hope - thanks.

I'm just downloading the version of the firmware for my phone and have odin 3.14.4 ready to go for when the firmware eventually finishes downloading (14 hours away haha). I'll let you know how I go

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

@LS_Ace Welcome to the club. Interesting that everyone that has verified this problem has an Australian Phone, was yours a Telstra model as well?

Let us know if you have issues reflashing, it's not always straightforward.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@balst01 - thanks for the welcome. Not Telstra in my case - just a standalone unlocked phone bought from a tech store (jb-hifi). 

Still downloading - hopefully will be ready to give it a shot tomorrow. Will let you know :)

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@LS_Ace 

As you are no doubt aware, the most important thing is to ensure you have multiple backups of your device before you attempt to flash the firmware - as it inevitably involves  a factory reset which wipes all existing data.  I used Samsung Smart switch to backup to a computer in addition to Samsung Cloud and Google.  After flashing and the reset I was able to restore everything.  Backup all your images separately and restore them separately from the main restore on Smart Switch (you can select what you wish to restore).   Otherwise the restore takes forever.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @balst01 and @SPython ,

Good news! I did the reflash this morning and can now make phone calls again :) It is certainly a bit daunting, but the step by step instructions from both of you worked perfectly. I had the same experience as balst01 that it would not reboot and had to do a factory reset straight after the flash. I also followed Spythons advice and deleted all my biometric/security settings before reflashing to avoid any potential issues there too. 

Thanks again for your work in battling through this before me. I will definitely be avoiding any updates into the future till I know it's going to work for our F model phones

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@LS_Ace Glad to hear it all worked and you are back in business.  It is quite annoying that Samsung messed this and they have not responded or fixed their error with a patch. 

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

We should probably keep a running list of phones affected. Currently it would seem we have at least:

• SM-A525F (Galaxy A52 series)
  • SM-G97xF (Galaxy S10 series)
  • SM-G99xF (Galaxy S21 series)

I suspect also the S20 series since the S10 and S21 are both affected, but maybe not the S22, which is likely delivered with One UI 4.1

If anyone knows of any other models, please post.

Everyone should also create an issue using the Samsung Members app; the more times people log the issue, the more likely we will get a fix.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks @SPython and @balst01 !

Good point re reporting an issue in the Samsung Members app. I will log an issue in there aswell

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

My kids s21 ultra f series works.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.