For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
ankitnehra's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 24th, 2018 9:10 PM

My claim was denied because I'm still using the SIM Card.

So AT&T/Asurion is denying my claim because I'm still using the SIM card which was connected to my iPhone X after the loss. This is because I lost my phone while I was traveling to India and my SIM wasn't working in India. So I tried using another SIM on my device, which didn't work either, so I put the AT&T SIM again hoping it will work this time but it didn't even then. Frustrated, I removed the SIM and was only using my device via WiFi. Now they are saying that the insurance is on the SIM not on the phone, therefore since SIM was removed from the iPhone X when it was lost, they can't give me a new device. But on the policy it clearly states, and I quote, "For coverage to apply to a particular device, you must own or lease the device and have used (logged voice or data use) that device on your enrolled wireless line after initial enrollment. Coverage applies to only one device at any given time and the covered device will be your most recently used device on your wireless line at the time of the loss." In my case the most recent used device was iPhone X so I don't understand how does it matter if I'm now using my phone on a different device AFTER the loss.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Anonymoustoo wrote:

Okay, here is my question. I am simply being honest. My Note 4 crashed. It will not even come on and is not the battery. I had just gotten insurance bc it had been acting up and the young man in the AT&T store told me to be 100% sure I used it after the insurance was added. This makes sense by what you mentioned. Now, with that being said, I did get it back on to use it after insurance but it crashed within days. I could not afford the $250 deductible immediately so I placed my sim card in an old phone that is barely working as well. Now I am ready to file my claim but want to file it on my Note. It is what I insured, what I bought, etc. I know how their "line" thing works tho. So, my question is, do I stop using the Sims card when I go to make the claim? Or do I just be honest that I have put it in another phone while waiting on the claim? Does the active Sim card situation only apply to stolen or missing phones, or any phone at all? I have an extra line (long story) I can have people call me on for a few days while I wait...I would just prefer not bc it isn't a AT&T or Samsung/Google device. Therefore will not have all my info on it...not to mention not my number.

Do not make a claim, and cancel the stupid insurance.   Why on earth would you insure a phone that you can purchase for Under $200, new in box?   Or mint for about $100?  

The deductible is twice what the phone is worth.

Actually I just sold a mint note 4 last month, in perfect working condition for $90 on eBay.

Insurance on a phone that is worth less than the minimal insurance payment is ridiculous.   Hop on eBay and replace your phone.  

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

Why on earth would you insure a phone that you can purchase for Under $200, new in box? Or mint for about $100?

I know this was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it because I don't buy used phones. Period. You never know what happened to them before you bought them, you don't know if the person put a used phone in an old box and shrink-wrapped it to make it look new, you don't know if the previous owner will report it lost or stolen three months later to file an insurance claim, you don't know if the previous owner didn't pay it off until you try to unlock it, and you don't know if you'll get a block of wood in the mail and have to wrestle with eBay to get a refund. Search this forum alone and you'll find hundreds of people who bought used phones on eBay and had nothing but problems with them.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye  there is no wrestling with eBay.  Both eBay and PayPal are very efficient at stopping payment.  If a phone isnt as advertised the customer has absolute recourse.  Paypal will go back 6 months on fraud complaints.  

You never know what happened to them before you bought them,”.  

And where will Asurion get a replacement?  Those are refurbs.  Parts of phones other people killed or that died a sad death.   Far more likely to get an abused phone and then have to fight with Asurion for replacement.   I’ve seen lots of those on here.   

My extended family purchased a total of 3 Note 4 off eBay over time.  Just sold the last one.  Very well made phone too.  

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

Been there

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 Glad you had great experiences with used phones. I've seen lots of people have trouble with used phones (both on this forum and in my previous jobs), which is why I will never buy one. I've also talked to lots of people who had great experiences with insurance replacements (myself included).

I'm not saying you can't buy used phones, just like I'm not saying you have to buy insurance. I just don't agree with the idea of telling everyone who even mentions insurance to cancel it and buy used phones instead. Used phones aren't for everyone, just like insurance isn't for everyone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye wrote:

No way around it. One of the checks for fraud is whether the customer is still using the device reported lost or stolen. While you've cited some very good reasons why a SIM card might not be in a lost device, there's no way for Asurion to independently prove it. That means they won't approve the exception. Besides, the insurance is on the line, not the device, so the only way to verify the device is insured is through the SIM card. Once you remove the SIM card, your phone is no longer covered.

@lizdance40, I know you don't like paying for insurance, but for some people, it's a good and reasonable option. Used it myself plenty of times, would pay for it again.

@QuarryRye 

Sorry I agree with @lizdance40 ...  Insurance thru Asurion is a joke.  Apple care+ that is a great product now that it has theft and loss added you just pay more.  But apple will give you a device that is not refurb JUNK like Asurion does.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 My point still stands. Your comment about AppleCare is fine, but Apple also replaces phones with refurbished devices, which some people were so opposed to that they even filed a lawsuit. It's not for everybody. 

Whether you personally like insurance or not, it's a good fit for some people. Telling everyone to cancel their insurance isn't always the best option, just like buying used phones isn't the best option for everyone. That's my only point.

To be honest, it seems like you and @lizdance40 were burned by Asurion at some point and have a grudge against it. If so, your hatred of insurance is colored by that, just like people who paid a $1000 bill with AT&T hop around on this forum and tell everyone to leave AT&T. I don't love Asurion any more than I love AT&T, but phone insurance works for a lot of people, whether you like it or not.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye 

I understand your point completely.  And yes, it’s my opinion.   I just feel it’s well supported.  

4 years out,  Asurion isn’t likely to provide a pristine replacement.  

All I can say is without insurance I’m still far, far ahead.   And we (collectively) bought a lot of used phones in just the last 5 years.   Only one had minor problems, and it’s my fault for not following my rules of 360° photos.     Considering we had to RMA a new phone in a month for a major issue, we didn’t do worse with used.  

Maybe if one is a complete klutz insurance makes sense on new phones.  But not on a 4-5year old.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 My point still stands. Your comment about AppleCare is fine, but Apple also replaces phones with refurbished devices, which some people were so opposed to that they even filed a lawsuit. It's not for everybody. 

Whether you personally like insurance or not, it's a good fit for some people. Telling everyone to cancel their insurance isn't always the best option, just like buying used phones isn't the best option for everyone. That's my only point.

To be honest, it seems like you and @lizdance40 were burned by Asurion at some point and have a grudge against it. If so, your hatred of insurance is colored by that, just like people who paid a $1000 bill with AT&T hop around on this forum and tell everyone to leave AT&T. I don't love Asurion any more than I love AT&T, but phone insurance works for a lot of people, whether you like it or not.

@QuarryRye 

Lets see a refurbished iPhone thru Asurion or Apple....  Well Apple uses REAL OEM parts...  Asurion is using the cheapest knockoffs they can get in bulk.  You can find plenty of folks on any carrier forums that will tell you apple told them the pound sand when they brought the device in for warranty service.  Yes apple is helping with 3rd party batteries not but they will not touch a device with changed out FP reader or screen.

I could careless what people use for insurance period.  But with a Apple device Apple care+ with Theft Loss is a better product than Asurion.  Now for android its just fine or if your using a Samsung device they are offering loss prevention also now.  I use a rider on my home owners insurance for covering lost cell phones.  I also use 12 to 20 devices a year...  I never keep a test device long enough to break it.  My daily driver is a iPhone xs max right now.  The test device I have right now is a s10+.

As for refurb replacement devices with android its a toss up if you will get a good replacement either thru insurance or warranty ATT processes.  Samsung did it best for the kids s7 active they replaced the screen once then just sent a new phone the next.

As for used devices yeah Ebay is a shady place these days.  But I use swappa to buy and sell phones mostly sell these days and never ever have I had a problem.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye  I’ve never used mobile insurance. It was presented way back when we bought our first phones 22 years back, and I read it carefully.  Again 5 years ago when we bought pricy smartphones.    The finances/math just didn’t work out then, doesn’t now.  It’s a profit business and a virtual monopoly.  No other insurance has deductibles that are 1/3 the cost of the replacement.  

I understand some won’t go without.  But it doesn’t make it a good product.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.