Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
Tboy72's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 11:12 AM

Throttling for unlimited data

I am a new customer and have the unlimited data, talk and text plan for my Galaxy S7. I read that Att may throttle my data speeds during periods of congestion.

Please explain this to me. Does that mean that after 22 gbs of data in a billing cycle, Att will automatically throttle my data, or that in certain circumstances they may throttle my speeds and then return the speeds to normal?

So if my area is not considered congested, I may not get throttled at all?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have unlimited data and I do get that text message "you've used 16 GB and blah blah blah". My issue is why? What is the necessity of throttling data if I'm paying for it? Right now it's basically pointless for me to even use the internet because it just will not load which I find ridiculous if I am paying for unlimited data. So what is the purpose of throttling my internet after I use a certain amount which I pay for? 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@cheesetoast126 wrote:

I have unlimited data and I do get that text message "you've used 16 GB and blah blah blah". My issue is why? What is the necessity of throttling data if I'm paying for it? Right now it's basically pointless for me to even use the internet because it just will not load which I find ridiculous if I am paying for unlimited data. So what is the purpose of throttling my internet after I use a certain amount which I pay for? 

@cheesetoast126

unlimited does not mean unlimited speeds.  As long as your phone has data att is providing unlimited data....  I have used 29gb of data this month with no slowdown....  And its not throttling its reprioritization when a tower is congested.  Do you have unlimited plus or unlimited choice as your plan?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@cheesetoast126 wrote:

A few years back the FCC made a stink about ATT “not adequately informing customers of their throttling policy”.  Immediately ATT began text notices to the point of annoying customers at 75% and at 95%, then at 100%.  

Shortly afterwards they stopped throttling.  They now reprioritize after 22 gigs.  

This means you MIGHT slow down if you exceed 22 gigs.  But the notifications continue to let you know when you reach 75% of 22 gigs.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I'm not sure if it is unlimited plus. Would unlimited plus be better with
internet speeds? It's just frustrating when I can't even preform normal
internet activities because it is going so slow.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Look on your bill

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

When ATT slowed my speed, it was before they started the 22gb.

And each time I hit 5gb Every Time my speed dropped to about

.26mb Every Time

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@johnawp300 wrote:

.26mb Every Time

@johnawp300   You are referring to the older plan which was throttled at 5 gigs.  The unlimited Plus, 2016 unlimited and grandfathered unlimited are NOT throttled.  

Throttling means at 5 gigs they flipped the virtual switch to lower the speed.  

Reprioritization only slows speed of the towers are congested after 22 gigs

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@johnawp300 wrote:

.26mb Every Time

That's clearly not the 22GB reprioritization.  That sounds like something different.

Sounds more like a Mobile Share Advantage plan or something on the OLD old unlimited plans (I think something happened at 5GB for a while).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L It was the grandfathered unlimited plan that was automatically throttled at 5GB but even that practice ended years ago.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

You're wrong. They do THROTTLE. data .I experience it every month towards the end of my billing cycle. I drive a truck over the road and doesn't matter where I am, congested or not. After 22 gigs they THROTTLE data back to 3G hspa. Takes 5 to 10 seconds for ge to load or YouTube video buffers every 30 seconds. It's like we're going back in time not moving forward with technology. It's kind of odd they're building thousands and thousands of new "cell towers" everywhere but yet they're THROTTLING data even Verizon is. If they're putting up a million cell towers shouldn't we have blink-of-an-eye data speeds with just as much as you could use? Makes me question if those are even cell phone towers! There's information online that says they're not cell towers and some don't even have owners to claim them. They don't know who's paying for some of em but they're letting them be put built! .people need to research this and the health risks  these tires are already giving firefighters in California illnesses and  people  are having these weird  symptoms so be safe spread the word do some research wake up

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.