Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
Estimator334's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 8:08 PM

Limiting Data Usage

I have 4 phones in my plan.  Two have unlimited data plans and I am not willing to give those two up.  One of my kids uses data wisely, and is always within his plan.  The other son uses data like crazy.  I installed the "Smart Limits" product and that let me cut off his data when he used his plan.  A few weeks ago AT&T took away this part of the "Smart Limits" product.  This month my son is on his fourth additional GB, at $10 each.

Today I went to the AT&T store.  The person at the store told me that I should give up both unlimited data packages and get a family plan with 10 GB shared.  Meanwhile my one son has already used over 6GB with a lot of time left this month!  When I said I was not willing to give up the unlimited data plans, he told me that I needed to download the myAT&T app, and then I could go in there and easily turn off his data usage when my son apporached his limit.  I didn't like relying on a manual process, but told him I'd download and set this up when I got home.

Later I downloaded the app.  There is no way to turn off my son's data usage.  So I called AT&T customer service.  The person I spoke to said that I couldn't do it in the app, only in the full website.  I went into the website, and at just as I was asking him how to actually turn off my son's data usage either the call dropped or he hung up.

I used the live chat online at that point.  The person there told me that there is no way to limit my son's data usage, and suggested that I just be extra vigilant about how he uses data.

I cann't believe that AT&T does not have a way for a parent to limit his child's data usage.  They had one, but turned it off a few weeks ago - were too many parents limiting iverage charges?  What should a parent do, other than to switch to another carrier?  Doe anyone have any real suggestions?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I don't want to babysit the data. I want it to be like Verizon - once the limit is hit it shuts off. I'm strongly considering switching to Verizon because of this.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

This conversation is exactly what I was looking for.  I have the exact same problem.  My older son has unlimited data grandfather plan on ATT and I do not want to end that one by switching to the shared family plan.  However, my younger teenage son does has limits and overages his data usage on the third day of the new cycle.  I would like to set a limit and am very disapointed that  ATT took that ability from the smart limits option.  I will have to reconsider getting that option since it does not provide what I am looking for.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

As was mentioned if you have an Android Phone and likely the same for an iPhone, you may go into the data usage and set a limit.  This limit will turn off data on the phone, but remember this limit can be changed by the person holding the phone.  You have to trust your child will be responsible and recognize that this limit is set for a reason and doesn't change it.  You can also set a warning level so they know their limit is coming.  I have all the phones on our shared plan set to hard limit of 1/5th the total bucket, and warning at 1/10th the total bucket.  If you aren't half way through the month and you hit your warning you know you are in trouble.  If this is an individal line I would set it to 95% of the plan limit as there are some things that hit ATT that are not tracked as data usage by the phone. 

There are also ways that you could set this and then disallow it to be changed but it would require having multiple accounts on the device and gets messy, definitely not worth it in general.  

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I've been dealing with this for months on my two teen daughter's phones.  They could give a crap about staying within the 15GB shared fam plan and regularly go crazy on data.

The result is that I have to MANUALLY monitor their usage and when they get close to our limits or use too much, I have to log in and manually suspend their data.   The problem is that also cuts their ability to make calls.  That's the entire reason they have phones.  To call mom or dad for school pickup, etc or emergency.  They see this as a license to be data hogs.

I wish ATT offered a data cap program that allowed parents to set an amount of data and when that phone/kid reached that limit, it automatically shuts it off unless the parent "overrides" it.  Now that would be a service I'd be willing to pay for so that I don't constantly have to monitor my teens usage.  ATT....are you out there....listening to what your customers want????

I'm on Chat right now with ATT and although the rep is pleasant enough.....it's taking forever.....trying to resolve some billing issues.  UGH

Tony

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

8 years ago

@SolarTim

is that what they are telling you?   Bull cookies.  Turning off data only effects mobile data.  Not talk or SMS text.  

It it would prevent FaceTime other than over wifi and iMessage which can default to SMS/regular text.  

BTW. You can turn off data without paying ATT an extra couple bucks a month, you just login, manage the line, and turn off data.  It takes a little longer, but it's FREE.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the same problem. I would like a feature where I can set a Weekly limit on my sons data usage, and I decide how much data he may have of our family plan. If it is cost effective, I would consider changing carriers. Does anyone know if the other carriers offer this?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Switching to Verizon will probably cost you alot more per month than an overage will. 

You should be able to setup text or email messages when approaching data max. then manually turn off data.  The also offer an app for $5 a month per line charge to set limits. I am guessing it works on individual as well as share plans.

New plans offer unlimited when a Direct TV customer as well (not true unlimited like before though).

Get another carrier for the son cell that will limit him like pay as you go or another so called unlimited data line. 

or as mentioned by another , take the phone away!! 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

This has been a pain for me as well. ATT used to allow you to turn off data usage on any line and only enable as needed; I would only turn it on for my kids if we went on trips or they needed temporary use of GPS. Now, the data automatically turns back on each cycle which can rack up the data usage fairly quickly if you forget to disable it due to all the background data being sync'd/updated. Sure, I could purchased the Smart Limits to do what I did before but it seems like ATT is squeezing us for every bit they can whether through overages or pushing the option to purchase Smart Limits.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@tranau151  Still does.  Just login to the My ATT app on your phone.  Follow picture directions.  Yes it turns on automatically with start of each bill cycle.  You will have to manually turn off.  Takes only a moment.

IMG_5065.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Yeah, I still use it. I just don't agree with it turning back on automatically each bill cycle which it used to not do.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.