Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
Looking4Deal's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, February 16th, 2017 9:48 PM

Is tethering included on new Unlimited Plan starting 2/17/2017?

Is tethering included on new Unlimited Plan starting 2/17/2017?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40

The carriers do have a hand in testing updates and Verizon has some custom stuff that does make their updates delayed... not a big deal for truly unlocked phone, but they do have an affect on the process more then most carriers. I have some inside information on this, so it is not a rumor. 

The Nexus 6 on Verizon was very much delayed in getting Android 6 - users resorted to pulling the sim card and rebooting, and they got the update. But wait for it with Verizon sim and it took an extra few months. The software build was different for Verizon too. 

The pixel bootloader would not get locked if already unlocked, but if you never unlocked it, the latest android update would make it impossible to unlock.... go visit the pixel forums. But there are unlock tools out now.. it just can't be done officially.

https://www.xda-developers.com/verizonees-bootloader-unlock-method-for-pixel-to-be-patched-this-week/

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00 wrote:

@lizdance40

The carriers do have a hand in testing updates and Verizon has some custom stuff that does make their updates delayed... not a big deal for truly unlocked phone, but they do have an affect on the process more then most carriers. I have some inside information on this, so it is not a rumor. 

The Nexus 6 on Verizon was very much delayed in getting Android 6 - users resorted to pulling the sim card and rebooting, and they got the update. But wait for it with Verizon sim and it took an extra few months. The software build was different for Verizon too. 

The pixel bootloader would not get locked if already unlocked, but if you never unlocked it, the latest android update would make it impossible to unlock.... go visit the pixel forums. But there are unlock tools out now.. it just can't be done officially.

https://www.xda-developers.com/verizonees-bootloader-unlock-method-for-pixel-to-be-patched-this-week/

@alphadog00

samething happened for the nexus 6 on ATT...  The patch was delayed and had a different build number.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

Well, let's agree to disagree. 

Until Verizon drops CDMA support from their phones, they are the ones that are using dated technology. GSM is still the world standard - although some carriers in other countries are going right to LTE - with no fallback to GSM. 

Where i live VZW coverage is mediocre at best. I have a Verizon work phone and ATT personal - I get consistently better performance on ATT. I had dropped TMo way back when due to poor coverage in rural areas, but their coverage map has changed a lot in the 9 years since i had them. 

If you buy a Pixel today and take the latest update with a Verizon SIM card before unlocking the bootloader, it is permanently locked... my friend had this happen. Got a replacement and it was flashed to latest from factory. He has about 20 lines with his company so Verizon got google to ship him a phone direct. 

But ATT is no better if you buy an ATT branded phone. I choose to buy non-carrier branded phones, and that makes me stick to GSM carriers. 

@alphadog00

I think we will see more and more phones have there bootloaders locked as more payments go thru the phones.  s7 series proved this last year.  Google is doing everything they can to make android more secure.  I used to root and rom all the time even made roms back in the early droid days on verizon but having to bootstrap everything sucked.

I really have not unlocked my pixel xl but it came from google on launch day.  I just dont have time or the need as nougat runs like a top.  I use android studio to code most stuff so I really have no need to test builds with root access.

My problem with ATT is the lack of enhanced LTE services on unlocked non branded phones.  Then there is the LTE problem the one + series has since they use junk chinese imei numbers that atts system thinks are 3g only.  There are work arounds but come on.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

Dumb question... but coming to ATT with an unlocked iPhone 7 Plus (Qualcomm modem vs. ATT / Intel modem)... am I going to be hosed on the enhanced LTE and future carrier aggregation changes to ATT's network?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

No you will be fine. Modem is not the problem

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

That's a relief

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00 wrote:

But getting more serious the more i think about it. With Tmo also offering $150 per line to switch, that is $450 in my pocket. I may get a pay as you go sim this weekend and make some country trips to see how coverage is.

I don't really need to rush, but ATT needs to know that their plan is no deal for anyone.... who would have thought that Verizon would actually have better pricing/features then ATT?

If the coverage is the same for you then RUSH and get the $150 per line. Get it before they don't offer it. You can always come back if it's not what you hope for...

But if it's not the coverage you need, then it's not worth $300 per line...

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L Coverage is definitely key... would rather pay more for better coverage than be annoyed with dropped calls and poor reception. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.