Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
iMessage log's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 20th, 2014 11:27 PM

iMessages removed from AT&T usage report....why???

when updating to new 7 version my AT&T text usage log no longer post iMessage numbers. I would like AT&T or Apple to return this feature. Has anyone experienced this problem?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

Then turn off iMessage, which uses your data.  And use text, which is free and unlimited for customers on current plans.

Apple introduced iMessage when data was unlimited and texting was an additional charge.  

Interesting how things have changed, yet we are stuck using a system that now cost us money.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

... i guess I'm crazy too ... because ALL text messages used to show up on my bill, as well, even imessage to imessage, because I would see how many times my sons messaged me, or even my husband, now zero imessages show up ... it's a bunch of bull that you are saying it never used to show up on the bill, because IT DID!!!  I used to keep track of people that way, now I cannot .....

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

If messages are sent as SMS they will show on the bill.  This has been an ongoing complaint for years.   Perhaps in the past you had data services limited so that iMessage did not add to your data usage.

image.png

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

I have been using iMessage since Apple released it, and for me, messages sent via SMS have shown on my bill, even if sent to another iMessage user, but messages not sent via SMS (in a blue bubble not a green one) have never shown on my AT&T bill.  As far as I know, this is by design because they are not SMS messages and therefore are not billed by AT&T as such.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

Exactly.  My kids have iPhones, but I don't.  And not all their friends do.  SMS between their phones and non iPhones always show on the bill.  

Unless you are on a limited text package, it makes no sense to use iMessage anymore.

some teenagers could be racking up some serious data using iMessage over cellular. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I wonder if I can boil this down for the techno-challenged:

1) if Message Bubble/Send Button is GREEN - it was sent via SMS = it will appear on your bill and does not use your data plan.

2) if Message Bubble / Send Button is BLUE - it was sent ENCRYPTED over your data connection and AT&T has no access / ability to tell what you sent, who you sent it to, etc.  This will NOT appear on your bill, but it does use your data plan.

For those that are claiming that it used to and no longer does... Then at somepoint you either enabled iMessage on your phone (recently log in / sign up for iCloud?  Update iOS? / Get a new phone?) or the person who you were communication with enabled iMessage when it hadn't been before (new phone, previous android, signed into icloud, etc.)

In the example below, Mom is using an iPhone, iPod, or OS X device (Blue message bubbles) and Natalia has a non-iMessage device (Green Bubbles).

It's that simple.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

Awesome explaination!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

Great explanation, except it is possible to have a blue button, but have the system still send as an SMS on you.  This happens occassionally to me when I send messages to my wife.  One of us will be in an area of poor cellular data coverage and messages will drop back to SMS for a few messages then switch back to iMessage again.  It's really hard to tell sometimes when it only happens on one message you're receiving because all incoming messages appear the same in the Apple Messages app.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

In addition to the blue and green bubbles, if you are in a conversation that switches back and forth between iMessage and SMS, you will see "Sent as text message" after the bubble or see "Text message" as a header before the bubble, then when it switches back to iMessage, you will see "iMessage" before the bubble. 

Note also that iMessages tell you when a message has been delivered where an SMS message does not. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Tutor is Right.....

i had the same issue up until a month ago

it may be hard to believe, but it did; i can go back to my previous bills and they're all there family or girlfriend with both IM.

Mg

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.