For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
suzdvm's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Monday, September 5th, 2016 8:49 PM

HTC 10 doesn't receive all texts

I've had an HTC 10 for over four months. For at least two months, it will occasionally not receive a text from friends, most often iPhone users. I can receive several texts from one sender, then miss one they send seconds later, when neither of us has changed locations. Usually, but not always, the missed texts are lengthy. Sometimes they can be resent and received as one long text. Other times, the sender has to break them down to shorter texts for me to receive. This is happening more frequently, and I have missed some important messages.

Tech gurus tell me it's a problem with my carrier's (AT&T) settings and not my device. I can't get anywhere with AT&T online today. Any suggestions? 

A similar problem is receiving a text that combines part of the message sent with a segment from a months-old text from the same user. This happens rarely and occured with my previous phone, an HTC One.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

So @pgrey, I know I have a duplicate or two in my phone book so I went about going to remove those to see if that would help. I then started noticing I had random duplicate contacts that I know didn't exist before. When I open up the contacts, one of them would be labeld a Google Contact and other would be a WhatsApp contact. I installed WhatsApp on July 20th. Not sure why duplicate contacts were created by/for WhatsApp.

I started looking through my past billing statements and have confirmed I started missing texts just days after the 20th (i have texts that were never answered, but i can see on the statement i should have received a text.....!!!) I checked a handful of other numbers in my phone where the last text was sent before the 20th and none of them show a missed text, or in other words the last text on the bill shows on my phone for those numbers.

@suzdvm, did you happen to install WhatsApp or any other messaging app which you can correlate to the start of missing texts?? Do you see duplicate entries in your People app for the messaging app if so?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey Using the "Remove duplicate contacts" option on my phone's contact list, I only found 3 duplicates. All were removed. The problem persists. When a friend discovered I'd missed an invitation (123 characters including an emoji) that she texted yesterday, she resent it while we were in the same room. I received nothing even though her phone showed that it was sent. She immediately tried resending again and the text came through to my phone.

@gwobbles The backpacker in me keeps apps to a minimum on my phone to conserve battery. I didn't install any messaging app, though I may have briefly enabled factory-installed Messenger for a few days about the time the missing texts began. I re-enabled and updated that app a couple of days ago to see if that might help. NO, and it did chew some battery even though I wasn't using it.

I'm hoping to contact AT&T customer service for tech support today.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem.  Went to the AT&T store, and the service rep even took out their sim card - put it into my phone and still the same problem... I don't think this is an AT&T issue - I think it's an HTC issue.  I bought two unlocked phones from HTC (returned a first one thinking the issue was with the phone) - with each having the duplicate issue.  SOMEONE please help, lol - I have two weeks to turn this phone back in if it's not going to be resolved!

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

@Porthos7 I have a friend with an iPhone who is having the same problem with not receiving texts. It may just be coincidence, but the three friends I regularly miss texts from have iPhone 5S or 5SE models. One of those friends texted me yesterday on her husband's iPhone 5 with no missing texts, even though some of them were quite long. If there are missed texts from others, I won't know until I check my next bill.

And if it's a phone problem, why did my phone work fine for two months before I started missing texts, and why has the problem gotten much worse in recent weeks?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey@gwobbles@Porthos7 

I finally got through to an AT&T tech support person via chat. While on WiFi only, I received several very long text messages from the friend I've had the most problems with. (I am almost always using Mobile Data and rarely have WiFi on.)

The tech seemed to think it might be "something that may interrupt the signal from smoothly reaching a tower affecting how it is retrieved." After he resent activation to my phone, which disconnects it from the current cell tower and reconnects to the closest towere, I received more long texts without interuption. However this has been an intermittent problem so the jury is still out. And he said the resent activation might only be a temporary solution.

The tech also suggested trying the AT&T Messaging app, which I may install if problems persist. Fingers crossed.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

@suzdvm@Porthos7@pgrey So I went into an AT&T store last night and rep gave me a new sim card to see if that would help. I haven't had any problems today but as I and @suzdvm know all too well the problem is intermittent so I will hold judgement for a couple of days. 

The rep said we could try the reprovisioning that suzdvm described in the post above, but even if that fixes the symptons there's still no clear cause. I too had no problems texting for about 2 months, from may to july, but the middle/end of July is where I have the first confirmed missed texts. 

I'll report after this weekend how my luck turns out.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Still having issues. Missed a few texts and had some mishmash texts which contained parts of old texts. 

@suzdvm how's your luck been?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@gwobbles I'd suggest the re-provision as well.

It would be interesting to look at the headers on these texts, although it's really not practical, at least for one of us, you'd have to get AT&T tech involved.

In theory, most messaging apps should be using a series of checksums, and they should realize that their are "missing" texts, and request them from the servers.

The AT&T messaging app has a bit of a problem with this, it doesn't do a great job of querying very often, but if I refresh it, it will ping the server, and sync up to 100% exactly what my phone has, just an example of how this works "right", in one circumstance.

The Android version works better, while the PC one is pretty bad, I almost always have to refresh it, to make sure I'm up-to-date.

Hopefully @suzdvm will respond, it would be interesting to see if this fixed her issues. 

Provisioning is a bit of "black magic", all carriers do their own stuff here, and while probably 95% of it is done using standards, there are some one-off implementations, I'm almost positive, that have evolved out of things such as this.  "Magic" is truly NOT the right term though, as a s/w and h/w engineer it's just someone who debugged a problem, and they vetted a work-around or similar, and integrated it into the standard, but I think to most it can seem like magic ;-]

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey@gwobbles Unfortunately, my phone missed at least 4 texts from the same person within 12 hours of re-provisioning, and with WiFi on some of that time. This weekend, I missed a series of texts from the husband of a good friend trying to update me about her progress in a marathon across the country.

Monday, I finally got through to HTC CSR chat. The rep suggested most of the things I'd already done. The only new suggestion was clearing my received text files in case the limit had been reached, but she couldn't say why I'd still receive many texts from the same person after I had missed some from, without deleting any old texts. Nevertheless, I deleted down to a few texts, rebooted and within hours missed more texts.

Completely frustrated, I had my old HTC One activated yesterday in place of the HTC 10. And now I'm remembering how great the HTC 10 was otherwise. If my old phone starts missing texts, that would confirm it's an AT&T problem. If it doesn't then it must be the phone. Haven't done enough texting, especially with long texts to know yet. I'll try to remember to reply more promptly next time. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

@suzdvm, how's the HTC One been?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.