For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Snow_Fox's profile

Mentor

• 

95 Messages

Saturday, March 20th, 2010 8:04 PM

Er... anyone else find this stupid?

So.... With my last smartphone being washed.. I can't file insurance for it or anything..and I don't think I will be able to get a new one. (If I pay full retail for the phone maybe I can avoid that data package?).

I really don't care too much about the "data" either way... here is what bothers me. I'm a computer science major. I attend college. I have access to wifi 24/7 unless I am at work and to be honest I really shouldn't be wasting time online there either way.

So I have yet to see one valid, real reason I should get a "data package". Sure I know its required. But, to tell you the truth why even bother adding wifi to devices? I mean realistically you are suppose to get coverage anywhere you can use your phone.. so I doubt the mass majoirty of at&t customers would ever have a problem accessing the 3g network and need to use wireless.

I know this may seem a bit goofy to some of you out there.. but, if the "smartphones" weren't being built with wireless, I wouldn't mind the mandatory fee as much.. but, to tell you the truth.. I find it almost insulting phones now  come with wifi... The "logic" behind forcing you to get the data package for 30$ on a smart phone is "smartphones use more bandwidth".  Well so what? if i use wifi then I'm using MY Bandwidth not at&t's. THis may sound petty and I admit I have a tendancy to be petty but, if I were to ever pay 30$ a month for internet on my phone, I better have coverage everywhere and it better not matter what I do on my phone. (Read somewhere that "excessive downloading is considered abuse).

Yeah it annoys me that 3g is as far as I can see over priced to hades

and back.. but, its more or less a kick to the testicles to be told you *have* to get it.

Honestly.. it would be worth it if I could afford to drop 500$ on a nokia n900. SHame I can't though. data package at 30$ a month for two years is  720$...Sure the nokia can only handle the "slower" connection.. but, it would come out to be all of 240$ at the end of two years. so sure. nokia still comes out to be 740$ total.. but, factor in the minimum of 100$ for an iphone and your shot up to 820$ for the iphone/whatever else you get. 

Except unlike the iphone I can cancel the 10$ data package and just use my schools nifty wifi. 

*Edit* So to make this a full circle.. I wouldn't feel as insulted by the required data package.. if the smartphones didn't come with wifi at all.. then at least I wouldn't have alternative methods of getting some bandwidth as needed.. 

If anyone can while I am at it.. I would love to see the data usage of "feature phones" vs "smartphones"  like actual charts showing how much each one uses to load lets just say the full version of "yahoo.com".. I now my last smartphone always loaded the mobile version which would not be happening if I had a data package.. I would load the full everything.. since thats what your paying for..

Message Edited by Snow_Fox on 03-20-2010 01:15:35 PM

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

14 years ago

@SpaceOddity wrote:

I'd fall into this category. Currently, I'm using a SE w760. It's been a good phone for me so far but the bottom of the slider is starting to crack and I thought while I was upgrading I'd get a better camera this time around. Photography is a passion of mine and when I'm not lugging around my gear, I'd like to be able to still have some form of camera with me. And, while camera phones aren't ideal, I'd rather combine the two than carry around the extra clutter of a separate camera.

I don't text. I don't twitter. I'm not on facebook. I don't want WiFi. I blocked internet connection the moment I bought my phone. I even disabled the 3G on my Sony as it was draining the battery searching for the network. I don't exactly live in a budding metropolis. I just want a decent battery life with a good, 5MP or better, camera. Sadly, feature phones with these qualities are a dying breed.

I didn't even know about this, the mandatory plan, until a month ago. I was looking at the Nokia N86, unfortunately a smartphone, when I called up AT&T and they informed me of the new requirements. I didn't think it would make a difference. How would things be different than they are now? The first call I'd make with the thing would be to AT&T to tell them to block everything. Heh. I'd basically be dumbing down a smartphone.

There is really no need to call at&t and inform them that you've changed phones. 🙂  You would just move your SIM from the W760a to your new phone.  And there are many users of non-branded Nokia S60 models out here - so far no reports of at&t having added the smartphone data plan, and of course an N86 is not a device that at&t designates as a smartphone in their website documentation either. 

Plus the fact that if you are out of contract on your W760a, you'd always have the option to leave at&t (there have been at least a few reports that the retentions department is using a "waiver" of the smartphone data plan as a retention tool for users not under contract who aren't using an at&t subsidized smartphone and who wish to block data) or you could use it with at&t's prepaid service - there are no data plan requirements there or a smartphone user can use any of the available data plans.  At $30/month for a non-needed data plan, it may even be worth it to some users to pay the ETF and use prepaid service instead.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

14 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:
they will not do it, the data plan is mandatory, they may apply the blocks but you would still be required to pay for it

Pay for something I'd never use.

@hme83 wrote:

There is really no need to call at&t and inform them that you've changed phones. 🙂  You would just move your SIM from the W760a to your new phone.  And there are many users of non-branded Nokia S60 models out here - so far no reports of at&t having added the smartphone data plan, and of course an N86 is not a device that at&t designates as a smartphone in their website documentation either. 

Plus the fact that if you are out of contract on your W760a, you'd always have the option to leave at&t (there have been at least a few reports that the retentions department is using a "waiver" of the smartphone data plan as a retention tool for users not under contract who aren't using an at&t subsidized smartphone and who wish to block data) or you could use it with at&t's prepaid service - there are no data plan requirements there or a smartphone user can use any of the available data plans.  At $30/month for a non-needed data plan, it may even be worth it to some users to pay the ETF and use prepaid service instead.

Where on the site did you see this?

I've talked to AT&T's Customer Service. Actually, I talked to Sales and Customer Service. A Sales representative told me that as long as I bought an unlocked N86 from someone other than AT&T, I'd be fine. Of course, that didn't go along with what everyone was saying on here so I called Customer Service and they told me that everything the Sales rep. had said was wrong. In fact, they were actually pretty upset because apparently not only had he given me incorrect information but my call wasn't logged and I couldn't remember his name. It was like the whole thing never happened.
Even better, when I asked if there was an actual list and if the N86 was on it, the Customer Service agent said that there wasn't one. When she put me on hold, I thought she was simply checking just to be sure. Imagine my surprise when the phone started ringing! I had been handed off to NokiaUSA!   Smiley Very Happy

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

14 years ago

@SpaceOddity wrote:

Where on the site did you see this?

I've talked to AT&T's Customer Service. Actually, I talked to Sales and Customer Service. A Sales representative told me that as long as I bought an unlocked N86 from someone other than AT&T, I'd be fine. Of course, that didn't go along with what everyone was saying on here so I called Customer Service and they told me that everything the Sales rep. had said was wrong. In fact, they were actually pretty upset because apparently not only had he given me incorrect information but my call wasn't logged and I couldn't remember his name. It was like the whole thing never happened.
Even better, when I asked if there was an actual list and if the N86 was on it, the Customer Service agent said that there wasn't one. When she put me on hold, I thought she was simply checking just to be sure. Imagine my surprise when the phone started ringing! I had been handed off to NokiaUSA!   Smiley Very Happy

Per at&t's terms of service, the mandatory smartphone data plan is required on designated smartphones.  At&t designates these smartphones at their website - that seems to be the only "official" list and they are all at&t subsidized models.

Mentor

• 

95 Messages

14 years ago

I have heard the nexus one is listed as a "smartphone" even though it is unsubsidized by at&t.

@wingrider

While I have not been able to phrase it so eloquently as some other users have recently, my original points all stand. The only ground you have to argue is "those are the rules deal with it".

Throughout this entire time, you have intentionally misinterpreted what I wrote, and used any point I made in a context you know wasn't the original.

Congratulations.

Now with that said.

I do appreciate the user who explained the at&t radio issue. I actually was a dsl subscriber.. but, I had to switch becase my service was way too unstable/slow. I think the house I live in is wired poorly. Not surprisng as its a rented apartment lol.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

14 years ago

@Snow_Fox wrote:

I have heard the nexus one is listed as a "smartphone" even though it is unsubsidized by at&t.

@wingrider

While I have not been able to phrase it so eloquently as some other users have recently, my original points all stand. The only ground you have to argue is "those are the rules deal with it".

Throughout this entire time, you have intentionally misinterpreted what I wrote, and used any point I made in a context you know wasn't the original.

Congratulations.

Now with that said.

I do appreciate the user who explained the at&t radio issue. I actually was a dsl subscriber.. but, I had to switch becase my service was way too unstable/slow. I think the house I live in is wired poorly. Not surprisng as its a rented apartment lol.

It has been stated out here by a moderator that the Nexus One (specifically) is subject to the mandatory data plan, although I have not seen it indicated anywhere on at&t's website.

Happy to have provided a little historical perspective.  lol.  I know the fact that the smartphone data plan includes free WiFi at at&t hotspots wouldn't make me any happier - I've had that for years with my DSL service.  So I'd feel like I must be "paying for" the same thing twice. 😄

Mentor

• 

95 Messages

14 years ago

Well for me it is a personal insult to have wifi on my phone (e71x)

And pay for data as well..

When I spend 90% of my time on campus which is saturated with wifi.

Having the historical perspective is actually *the best* defense anyone could have given at&t.

Now with that said, I don't think it excuses the fact that phones like mine don't need data.

Sadly my e71x was washed.. So I'm more or less out of options.  My next phone will most likely require a data package..

Or.. I will have to settle for a lesser phone.

I wouldn't mind the data as I said, for a phone like the backflip which has a constant unavoidable stream of data one way or the other.

Just a shame I can no longer have options for better phones without data packages.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@Snow_Fox wrote:

@wingrider

Congratulations.

Now with that said.

Last time I looked disagreeing with a persons wants and desires is not misinterpetating it, maybe you consider it that but then again we would disagree with your version of it anyway. I stand by the business reasons and the legal contract statements, you can go ahead and feel that it is a misinterpetation but that is your right  - remember - TANSTAAFL, have a good day.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.